• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Red Wing 9011's. The color is exceptional. Pics:

Bojangles

Reaction score
I figured this would be the best place to ask a question regarding red wings in general. So, I decided I need an upgrade from my clarks DB and got a pair of red wing heritage 9016 at Nordstrom a few days ago. I've been eyeing them for a while and when I saw them during the anniversary sale for only 199.99 I had to pull the trigger. They look great but I've noticed some uncomfortable snugness. I know genuine leather is supposed to be tough and uncomfortable to break in the first few days. My heels get pretty raw after wearing them for about an hour or so but I can live with that and I know that's just part of the process to eventual bootgasms. However, the outside of my feet are in considerable discomfort/borderline pain. I got them in 9D and originally tried them on at a red wing store where the owner measured my foot using two different methods and said that would be the fit for me and at first I was inclined to agree. Since then, wearing them out and about a few times to get the breaking in process started is when I noticed the extreme snugness.

Basically, I was wondering if after these boots break in will it stretch enough for it not to be so tight on the outside of my feet. I'd prefer not to size up because then they would be too long and kind of goofy to walk in.

Any help would be much appreciated, gents.

milw50717

Reaction score

My heels get pretty raw after wearing them for about an hour or so but I can live with that and I know that's just part of the process to eventual bootgasms. However, the outside of my feet are in considerable discomfort/borderline pain. I got them in 9D and originally tried them on at a red wing store where the owner measured my foot using two different methods and said that would be the fit for me and at first I was inclined to agree. Since then, wearing them out and about a few times to get the breaking in process started is when I noticed the extreme snugness.

Addressing just the heel pain - try a gel padi or a thicker pair of socks. Having said that, GT's do tend to run long and thin, a factor of the last that they are made on. Getting toe jamb on the outside of the foot and the little toe can be a result of this. The leather will get a bit softer as it breaks in, but could continue to cause pain particularly if you are borderline pain at the moment.

As you wear your boots throughout the day your feet swell and grow, so in my book always best to size up a little if you are going to be spending a lot of time in your boots and/or wear them like you mean it. Personally, I'd prefer to size up and adjust size with inserts and sock thickness.

Bojangles

Reaction score
Thanks, milw. I'd like to try to avoid sizing up again because of the length but I might take your advice on the heel pad or some thin inserts. I read in several places that people experienced considerable softening of the leather after breaking them in so I was hoping somebody could share their experience, particularly with the tightness on the outside of the feet. Strangely, it's mainly my right foot...guess I have some weird asymmetrical feet.

Thanks for the reply though!

jlykos

Reaction score
The boots break in, but it was really, really painful to get them to that point. I had huge blisters on the sole of my foot where the pieces of leather on the upper connected with the sole. Now they are very comfortable and I can wear them anywhere. I honestly don't know whether I would get another pair again after experiencing the break-in period, however. The pain and blisters are not worth it.

milw50717

Reaction score

Thanks, milw. I'd like to try to avoid sizing up again because of the length but I might take your advice on the heel pad or some thin inserts. I read in several places that people experienced considerable softening of the leather after breaking them in so I was hoping somebody could share their experience, particularly with the tightness on the outside of the feet. Strangely, it's mainly my right foot...guess I have some weird asymmetrical feet.

Maybe try frequent applications of boot oil to the areas that you wish to soften.

shizlefonizle

Reaction score
From what I read seems like the break in period for these boots are quite lengthy. The heel region on my boots are loose and although Ive been wearing them inside the house for a week now, it doesnt seem to be getting any better. Still not sure if I should return these yet.

milw50717

Reaction score

From what I read seems like the break in period for these boots are quite lengthy. The heel region on my boots are loose and although Ive been wearing them inside the house for a week now, it doesnt seem to be getting any better. Still not sure if I should return these yet.

A little heel slip in a boot is OK. Try thicker socks or insole/heel cup if it bothers you or begins to rub

Last edited:

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you need is Ian's shoelace site, by far the best shoelace resource. The man takes shoelaces very seriously!

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

IMO, straight lacing is not the best choice for a workboot, dress shoe, sure. But it's just a preference thing. If you like straight/bar lacing...have at it. They are your boots.

I'm with you on the leather laces. I put them on my Wolverine 1K's as well as the Beckman. I also noticed how well they match the edge finishing.

For reference, I bought a 50' spool of Latigo Lace from Tandy. Even after giving away a half dozen pair to folks here at sf and sufu, I have enough leather lace to last a good while. I found that the spools are available in a slightly thicker size than most commercially sold laces. The color is a bit light but I apply a coat of obenauf and they darken perfectly.

Here are the laces on the Beckman with a quick/light coat of Obenauf. I keep thinking I need to add another coat to darken more but after a few weeks, they darken significantly.

Lace on the 1K's after some wear. These have been on the boots for a couple of years.

Love the laces.. what width are those ?? 1/8th or 5/32 inches??

shizlefonizle

Reaction score
A little heel slip in a boot is OK. Try thicker socks or insole/heel cup if it bothers you or begins to rub

Yeah I already tried those. Im going to return it, Wolverine 1ks fit much better for me so Ill probably pick up another pair in the Rust color.

captainfalcon

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastarbeider

pics of a friends pair of GTs that have stood the test of time.

Man Beckmans look pretty SZ with some wear lol.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone with redwing gt/beckman and pants/denim with 7"/smaller hem can post a side view photo?

thanks

teamnsk123

Reaction score
^that sounds like a fetish request ;)

Anyways, thinking about getting the chukka Beckmans. I'm just a college student and think the boots may be a bit over kill :/ any experience with the chikkas y'all? I was thinking if maybe just keeping the beckman boots cuz they're so damn gorgeous and going with with chukks from Alden or viberg...damn those prices!!!! :/

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chukka from redwing is not sleek at all it gives a rugged vibe keep the gt. if your a college student the gt should be enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads