• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

milw50717

Reaction score

Obenauf question. Do you guys buff/polish with a brush after its dry? Or do you not polish at all?

I use a cloth to remove the excess product and then buff with a brush.

Between applications of Obenaufs I use Red Wing or Saphir creme polish

aussiejake

Reaction score
Still have a pair of size 7.5 Gentleman Traveler's up for grabs for Australian buyers. Brand new in the Cigar colour, $185.

Beautiful shoe.

Last edited:

UserM4

Reaction score
Thank you. By now, I've Obenauf'ed 3 pairs of boots. I did have to wipe off excess and buff with a brush. Thx again.

andrew65

Reaction score
While perhaps not as fashionable as the GTs, I think the Redwing 202 are a more soft set boot and less costly. Excellent rear foot help and they have the excellent sole.

milw50717

Reaction score

While perhaps not as fashionable as the GTs, I think the Redwing 202 are a more soft set boot and less costly. Excellent rear foot help and they have the excellent sole.

A more industrial design work boot. Good to see that they also made in the US, as are the GT/Beckman's.

Gunky

Reaction score
so i got a new pair of 9016 boots, im wondering what I can do to ligten the leather a bit? ive treated them with obenaufs LP and some red wing cream does sunlight do the trick?

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
It's almost impossible to lighten leather safely. Any oil or protectant you put on them will darken them, as will the sun in most cases.

old timer

Reaction score
does red wing shoe cream lighten them at all? i have a pair of red wing gt's (cigar color) and i would like to lighten them just a little, i have the shoe cream, just have not pulled the trigger to put it on yet. i don't want to make them bloched

Gunky

Reaction score
ive actually decided to sell both my 9016s, one is a size 10, worn handful of times no box, up on the marketplace, the other is a 10.5 with box, brand new...not post yet

milw50717

Reaction score

The boots have seen some serious wear, but pictures of heels like the above do worry me a little. Allowing the heels to get that worn down surely can't be good for the spine. If you have a gait that causes wear like that, I think that you should get the heels replaced more often.

samjsan

Reaction score
I've noticed after a couple of weeks of wear, the leather plies that form the sole are starting to slightly separate. I emailed Red Wing and they told me slight separation is normal. This concerns me because these boots are almost brand new. I'm tempted to send them back to Zappo's for a refund.

I've had issues with Red Wings already. I initially bought the Beckman chukkas. After a few days, the rubber heel began to separate. I exchanged them for another pair and the same thing happened. After two pairs, I exchanged them for the six inch boots. I was hoping the boots, with its solid rubber heel, would solve this problem. Now I have an issue with the sole.

milw50717

Reaction score

I've noticed after a couple of weeks of wear, the leather plies that form the sole are starting to slightly separate.  I emailed Red Wing and they told me slight separation is normal.  This concerns me because these boots are almost brand new.  I'm tempted to send them back to Zappo's for a refund.

All too common with these boots, have a look back through some of the past posts on this forum. Generally, not fatal to the boots or the wearer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads