• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

ryvac

Reaction score

I would use cream or conditioner. The mink oil is going to make the finish a little too matte, and boot oil will be too messy to use. If you're going to use Red Wing products, I'd say go with their leather conditioner, its a beeswax product, so it will add a good amount of water repellency and will leave a nice luster.

Some might recommend their leather dressing, which is very similar to both Montana Pitch Blend, and Obenauf's LP, but the reason I steer clear from those is because it leaves an oily/sticky feeling left of the boots. And if you use either of those products enough times, you'll never get that nice luster out of the leather again. You'll be forced to settle with a matte/dull finish.

So if I were to advise you, I'd recommend Red Wing's Leather conditioner, and if you want to take it a step further, use Venitian shoe cream or Saphir Renovateur. Venitian shoe cream is about $8, or $16 for a lifetime's supply, and is second to none.

This is great information. Especially for a beginner like me.
I would love to hear more about the process so would you mind if you give us your step by step caring tips?

For example, do you only use Venition cream? do you let it dry or use the RW brush? do you apply any leather protector?

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
This is great information. Especially for a beginner like me.
I would love to hear more about the process so would you mind if you give us your step by step caring tips?
For example, do you only use Venition cream? do you let it dry or use the RW brush? do you apply any leather protector?

My favorite products are Venitian Shoe Cream, Saphir Renovateur, and RW Leather Conditioner. If you care for your shoes moderately, you won't need anything else.

For the GT, I start by spreading RW leather coniditoner through the seems of the welt and the sole. Some might argue that it's a bit unnecessary, but it definitely doesn't hurt to both add water repellency and keep the leather supple. I'm generous with it. I like to apply a good amount to make sure it's fully spread, and deep in the seams, then wipe the excess off with a polishing cloth or rag.

Next I'll either use Venetian or Saphir. They're both such great products that it's hard to recommend one over the other. With that said though, you can get 32oz of Venetian for $16, which literally could last you your entire lifetime. Saphir sells Renovateur in 2.5 ounce containers for $22. And even though it's much more expensive than VSC, the satisfaction you get after using it makes you forget about it. And it seems to be a lot easier to get a hold of now. You can find it at leather soul, hanger project, francos, on the fly and suitable wardrobe. I've only seen Venetian at Oakstreet bootmakers, country club supply, and fore supply co.

But once you've made your decision on Venitian Shoe Cream or Saphir Renovateur, you just apply an even amount all over the leather uppers. You can use either a polish cloth or your hands. I choose to use my hands. It's not necessary to put it on the welt, but don't be afraid if it gets onto the welt, it won't do damage. It's just not necessary because it's a bit overkill with the RW leather conditioner. After I apply and even amount, I like to let it dry a little bit. I'll usually wait around 5-10 minutes. You'll be able to tell it's dry because it will look like a haze on the boot. After it dries, I like to take either a very very slightly damp cloth, or fog up the leather with my breath and then brush away. I prefer the fogging method, because you get just enough moisture. With a damp rag, it's easy to use too much water and apply too much moisture. If you applied a **** ton of product, you might have to wipe some away with a rag first, and then brush. But other than that, It doesn't take a lot of work to get a nice luster outta both Venitian and Saphir, and it cleans, and keeps the leather supple.

Last edited:

ryvac

Reaction score
^Thank you so much for the step by step insctructions.
Now I know what I need to get and how to use it.
Again, thanks alot Brian.

I don't have any GT's yet but I sure am ready to get one now.
I just have to wait for a coupon...

btw, I did order the 1907 in size 9. Thanks for your sizing suggestion too.
can't wait to get them.

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
^Thank you so much for the step by step insctructions.
Now I know what I need to get and how to use it.
Again, thanks alot Brian.
I don't have any GT's yet but I sure am ready to get one now.
I just have to wait for a coupon...
btw, I did order the 1907 in size 9. Thanks for your sizing suggestion too.
can't wait to get them.

No prob man. And if you're wondering what to use for the 1907's, I've been using Lexol. RW suggests their boot oil, but I wasn't a huge fan cuz it darkened that nice copper color and took forever to lighten back down to the original color. With Lexol, you won't see much of a change in color at all and your 1907's will get a good amount of moisture to prevent em from drying and cracking.

ryvac

Reaction score
^ Wow, thanks for another great tip.
Yes, I will avoid any RW products, as I've read too many peopole NOT recomending them.
I do however, read a lot of people recomeding Venitian shoe cream so I'll get that for sure.
Now Lexol is a new product I heard today.
I thought Venitian shoe cream was going to do it all but I guess I'll have to look into Lexol as well.
btw, how do they differ? can I still use the Venitian shoe cream on my 1907's ?
also, do you use any protectors on your RW's? I saw a few people recomending Obenauf or Sno Seal to protect the leather from rain and dirt.

I haven't bought anything yet but as a starter, I'm thinking about buying the Venitian Shoe Cream and Sno Seal. (with some cleaning cloths and brushes)
Will that be good enough for me?

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
^ Wow, thanks for another great tip.
Yes, I will avoid any RW products, as I've read too many peopole NOT recomending them.
I do however, read a lot of people recomeding Venitian shoe cream so I'll get that for sure.
Now Lexol is a new product I heard today.
I thought Venitian shoe cream was going to do it all but I guess I'll have to look into Lexol as well.
btw, how do they differ? can I still use the Venitian shoe cream on my 1907's ?
also, do you use any protectors on your RW's? I saw a few people recomending Obenauf or Sno Seal to protect the leather from rain and dirt.
I haven't bought anything yet but as a starter, I'm thinking about buying the Venitian Shoe Cream and Sno Seal. (with some cleaning cloths and brushes)
Will that be good enough for me?

Yeah. Other than RW Leather Conditioner, their products have been just par for me. But I love their leather conditioner. Venitian has the ability to do it all, no doubt. Lexol is thinner, so it seeps into the leather a lot more. It's good for conditioning and for leathers that are dried out. It doesn't add as much protection as Venitian does. But, with leather, like the leather on the 1907's, the finish is more "exposed". It doesn't have the same "top coat" finish as the beckmans, so it doesn't require the need of that protection layer that Venitian leaves. It might actually take away from their look. Lexol is perfect for the 1907's because it will keep them moist and not darken them.

Basically when it comes to my boots, I do this:
RW Beckmans, Wolverine 1000 miles, Alden Indy's - Venitian/Saphir for the uppers and RW leather conditioner for the soles.
RW 9014's & 875's - Lexol for the uppers and soap and water for the crepe soles.

I also just read that if you use Minwax polyurethane on the sole edges, you can keep them from darkening and maintain that contrast between the uppers and soles. I'll try it out soon and let you know.

Last edited:

HAL 9000

Reaction score
I got regular shoe cream (Collonil) since I couldn't find Venitian or Saphir, and the cost of buying online wasn't worth it (shipping costs). As the user above stated, would Sno Seal or Obenauf be good? Thanks.

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
Oh, and as far as Obenauf's and SnoSeal... Those are two of the four that I mentioned that I stay clear from. Because those two, RW Leather Dressing, and Montana Pitch Blend all leave that matte, oily feeling. And if you use them enough you'll never get a nice luster out of your leather again. The ones who recommend any of those products are usually using their boots for working/outdoor/hiking conditions.

Those products are great for those situations, but aren't what you want to use if you wear your boots for street wear. I wear my boots for street wear and don't huck em through sandy/muddy trails, or heavy rain/snow, so those products are no good to me, and are actually the exact opposite because they end up making your boots look more for work than to be worn around town.

Don't get me wrong, those products are great if you want your boots to see hell and back, but if your wearing your boots with a sense of style and going out in them, you don't wanna use em. RW Conditioner, Venetian and Saphir will be all you'll need, while still being able to protect them from wet conditions.

Basically, if you're trying to keep your boots looking like this, use Venitian/Saphir/RW Conditioner:

If you want them to look like this, use Obenauf's/SnoSeal/Montana/RW Dressing:

Neither are wrong nor right, it's all a matter of purpose/usage.

The picture above is of Crane's 1000 miles. He's put those boots through hell and back and they're still in great shape and condition. But not all of us use our boots for those purposes, so it's not really necessary for us to use those products. There's still a slight chance that you could get those to have a luster like when they were new (like the picture above it), but it would *********** ton of product and elbow grease, which might not even work. Him and I use our 1000 mile boots in polar opposite purposes. He uses them for their intention, a work boot. I use mine for looks/street wear.

Last edited:

ryvac

Reaction score
^
What a great example.
Now everything is clear. I feel like I totally understand the basics.
I do want to keep the stylish look so I'll take your advice.
And yes, you are right. The people who recomended the Obenauf and SnoSeal where people who used their boots for work wear.

Man I can't wait to condition my first pair of boots now. lol

Last edited:

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
^
What a great example.
Now everything is clear. I feel like I totally understand the basics.
I do want to keep the stylish look so I'll take your advice.
And yes, you are right. The people who recomended the Obenauf and SnoSeal where people who used their boots for work wear.
Man I can't wait to condition my first pair of boots now. lol

Yeah man. Hopefully you got a chance to check out the post I made right before that last one too, about lexol vs Venitian. It seems like we've got fairly similar taste (round toe beckmans and 1907's) so stick with those tips and you'll be happy. I had to learn the hard way with some of those products (RW Dressing/Montana Pitch Blend/obenaufs/snoseal). Luckily I didn't apply too much and keep the boots from ever getting a nice shine again.

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
I got regular shoe cream (Collonil) since I couldn't find Venitian or Saphir, and the cost of buying online wasn't worth it (shipping costs). As the user above stated, would Sno Seal or Obenauf be good? Thanks.

Now that you mentioned it, Collonil makes good products also. Their cream is a pretty close second to Venitian and Saphir, and a really good choice as a more available alternative. The only thing Collonil cream will lack is ingredients like beeswax/carnuba that give Venitian and Saphir that water repellency.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian, good advice and you did a great job explaining the differences between hitting the streets and a trail and what's needed as far as maintenance is concerned. I'm sure you've followed my antics with my 721LTDs. I've used both Snoseal and Wolverine/Redwing boot oil on them. One thing I can tell you is it is possible to use these products and still get a great shine. The key to this is you have to wait things out and then put in a lot of elbow grease. What I did with the shell boots will also work on any of the other leathers used by Wolverine/Redwing. (BTW they are the same company just different brand names) For anyone who's wondering if what Brian is saying is sound you can bet on it. The products he mentions are all good and will keep your boots healthy for a long time. Anyway here's what my shell 721s look like today. Looking at the pic you would never guess what these have been through....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads