• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Manfred Freitag

Reaction score
Is an orthotic insert necessary?

I tossed a $6 pair of Doctor Scholl gels in mine, Made them perfect. I usually don't put inserts or soles in my boots but in this case it worked out great. Then again, I am a street 12 and bought them in 12, so I needed to take up a bit of volume.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Okay, thanks a lot for the suggestion bl@ster. One more question. Do I have approximately the right size if I can fit my index finger behind the heels (not too tight and not too much wiggle room)? Thanks again.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, thanks a lot for the suggestion bl@ster. One more question. Do I have approximately the right size if I can fit my index finger behind the heels (not too tight and not too much wiggle room)? Thanks again.
In general, yes. And when you lace up the boots, make sure some of the tongue is showing. If the sides of the upper are too close, the boot is too big.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
How about struggling to put them on? When putting on red wings boots, you need to stretch out the laces and the sides right?

TAR

Reaction score

How about struggling to put them on? When putting on red wings boots, you need to stretch out the laces and the sides right?
When they're new they take a lot of work to get on. Ive had been wearing mine daily for about a month and they're getting easier to get on and off (I try to stretch them a bit every time I put them on). Also, get some insoles. They'll make them way more comfortable. I'd recommend super feet insoles.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
When they're new they take a lot of work to get on. Ive had been wearing mine daily for about a month and they're getting easier to get on and off (I try to stretch them a bit every time I put them on). Also, get some insoles. They'll make them way more comfortable. I'd recommend super feet insoles.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, the boots take so much work to get on, I have to like take the laces out of the sockets to fit my feet in.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
that is completely normal

That's quite interesting. How would you know if its too small then? (I went a full size down, its unbelievably hard to put on, I'm thinking of returning it for a half size larger than the one I have).

Last edited:

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, the boots take so much work to get on, I have to like take the laces out of the sockets to fit my feet in.
They shouldn't take that much work. I'm a 10.5 and bought a 10 in the RW GT. The boot is a little narrow and took a few weeks to break in, but I never had a problem getting them on. They shouldn't be that tight.

NormanF

Reaction score
That's quite interesting. How would you know if its too small then? (I went a full size down, its unbelievably hard to put on, I'm thinking of returning it for a half size larger than the one I have).

I'd buy them normal size, put in a pair of Birkenstock cork and latex trekking insoles and just get used to them.

Matt44

Reaction score
So, as a rule, should most people size down by a half? Sorry to beat this already dead horse, but I'm about to go with my normal 10.5 on a pair 9016's. Or should I go size 10?

HAL 9000

Reaction score
So, as a rule, should most people size down by a half? Sorry to beat this already dead horse, but I'm about to go with my normal 10.5 on a pair 9016's. Or should I go size 10?

Yes, I'd say thats the general rule. At first, I sized down by one, and it was too small. Exchanged it, size down only a half and it perfect. Keep in mind that it may be different for you though.

rosenkruez

Reaction score
I usually wear 13 in most shoes. I went to the store today and tried GT in cherry in 11 and I could fit in them. I'm not sure whether I should go with 11.5 or 12. Then again, I was barefoot so I'm leaning more towards 12..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads