• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for button-down shirts?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
i saw that shirt at my local target the other day, jason, but what threw me off was the little mossimo logo on the shirt pocket. i have a feeling others would notice it and laugh inwardly at me. am i being too self-conscious?
haha, yea funny thing is it looks like the Pringle logo, so maybe others will think it's Pringle and be inwardly impressed
alien.gif
I actually thought about removing the chest pocket, not because of the logo because it doesnt bother me, but I dont like my buttonups shirts to have pockets.

ardeetee

Reaction score
I really like my shirts slim and some of the nicer ones I've tried on are J. Lindeberg and Theory who just makes very nice, basic, clean-looking items. Imo, they are both on the expensive side at full retail but I've found the fit to be great for me.

danieldy

Reaction score
I concur with ardeetee, I have a Theory shirt that's cut really really well. Fabric has some stretch to it, too.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
haha, yea funny thing is it looks like the Pringle logo, so maybe others will think it's Pringle and be inwardly impressed
alien.gif

I actually thought about removing the chest pocket, not because of the logo because it doesnt bother me, but I dont like my buttonups shirts to have pockets.

how would you go about removing the chest pocket? just cut it out with some scissors? i'm afraid i'm going to end up destroying the shirt if i try this.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how would you go about removing the chest pocket? just cut it out with some scissors? i'm afraid i'm going to end up destroying the shirt if i try this.

Probably best by removing the stitches from the inside. I have not done it, chances are Jason has some ideas though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The pocket is easy to remove, I just did it to one of my shirts. I cut the stitches from the inside and once you get it started it only takes about 5 min to remove it. Keep in mind when you're done you'll see a ghost of where the pocket was which should be gone after you wash it (or just iron it out) but the one thing that might make you want to leave the pocket on is that you'll see the faint holes where the threading went thru. It's really only visible if you look up close, at "viewing distance" you can't see it, but it's there and I'm not sure how much those holes will "heal" over a few wears and washings. Me, I'm going to go ahead and remove my other shirts' pockets since I prefer my buttonup shirts sans-pocket. If I had paid more than $20 for the shirt I proly would have left it alone.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
The pocket is easy to remove, I just did it to one of my shirts. I cut the stitches from the inside and once you get it started it only takes about 5 min to remove it. Keep in mind when you're done you'll see a ghost of where the pocket was which should be gone after you wash it (or just iron it out) but the one thing that might make you want to leave the pocket on is that you'll see the faint holes where the threading went thru. It's really only visible if you look up close, at "viewing distance" you can't see it, but it's there and I'm not sure how much those holes will "heal" over a few wears and washings. Me, I'm going to go ahead and remove my other shirts' pockets since I prefer my buttonup shirts sans-pocket. If I had paid more than $20 for the shirt I proly would have left it alone.

thanks jason-it was pretty easy to do. at first you could definitely see the "ghost" of where the pocket was, but after one round of ironing it's gone. the holes are virtually invisible; you'd have to really be looking for them to notice them. overall, i'm pretty happy with the finished product!

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually think the latest iteration of JCrew's washed oxford is great. The quality is decent with single needle tailoring, gussets, pattern matching, etc. Among JCrew's offerings the fit is pretty slim, but I go down a size from a large to a medium and the result is prtty good in terms of fit.

Trovata is also pretty good -- a Trovata large is about a JCrew medium.

I find Target shirts fit me funny. The proportions are off in the shoulder or something.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Right, the size small is a smidgeon under 30 inches down the back, from the bottom of the collar.

That may be for me a wee bit too short to comfortably wear tucked in but a small price to pay
smile.gif

Thanks. Thats actually a wee bit too long for me to wear without tucking it in! I prefer it around ~28.5.
I wish I knew how to alter...maybe time to pick up a new hobby.

-fn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Trovata is also pretty good -- a Trovata large is about a JCrew medium.
huh. i have to size down on trovata------i get small for my 6'0" 155 frame. i like trovata shirts a lot, though the detailing may be over the top for some.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thanks jason-it was pretty easy to do. at first you could definitely see the "ghost" of where the pocket was, but after one round of ironing it's gone. the holes are virtually invisible; you'd have to really be looking for them to notice them. overall, i'm pretty happy with the finished product!

right on man. I just washed mine and the ghost is gone and the holes have healed over so it's clean and pocketfree.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good tip about the Target shirts

Question: do any of you have long arms? I'm pretty slender (6', 155) and for regular retail shirts I usually fit a 15, 34/35, but even then sometimes the sleeves are a little short. (btw, I have a Lands End tailored fit shirt in that size I recently got and it's great as far as fit)

I've got a pink pima cotton Target sweater (Merona brand) in M that fits perfectly except the sleeves are just baaarely a midgen short. If I don't wear the sleeves pushed up or over a long-sleeve shirt that keeps the sweater sleeves stretched down with the cuffs, I find myself pulling the cuffs down.

I'm worried the Target shirts you mention would fit me perfectly except the sleeves would be like 1" short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics