• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for button-down shirts?

WatchGuy

Reaction score
What kinds of button-down shirts do you guys like to wear? I'm looking for something casual that would be untucked, good quality, comfortable, and fitted well. I like Steven Alan shirts, so something along those lines would be great (but maybe less $$?). I have some J Crew washed/oxford shirts that are OK, but I'm not crazy about the fit and quality. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Full Circle. I really like some of their shirts (I own one).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Band of Outsiders....but cost as much or more than Steven Alan at full retail

Thom Browne makes awesome buttondowns, but $400 ouch!

Michael Bastian also makes a nice buttondown, but also $400 ugh!

once again I gotta throw out the Target Mossimo washed oxford buttonup (not buttondown collars tho) shirt...fits better than JCrew washed oxfords (comparing size smalls) quality is fine for the $20 it costs.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
steven alan shirts are nice. apc shirts are too.

i've been reading more about getting them made. maybe next time...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Band of Outsiders....but cost as much or more than Steven Alan at full retail

Thom Browne makes awesome buttondowns, but $400 ouch!

Michael Bastian also makes a nice buttondown, but also $400 ugh!

once again I gotta throw out the Target Mossimo washed oxford buttonup (not buttondown collars tho) shirt...fits better than JCrew washed oxfords (comparing size smalls) quality is fine for the $20 it costs.

Which ones are the ones you are referring to?

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...&node=16385681

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trovata shirts are slim and have lots of cool details, which could be a good or bad thing depending on what kind of look you're going for. And they're priced at about $150, but with the Active Endeavors discount, they're brought down to about $120.

But if you can swing it I'd go for the Band of Outsiders. Their fit is great and the rounded bottoms look pretty damn good untucked.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I think it's this one http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000I5ONG4 but the stores have other fabrics that arent on the website that are more interesting. If yer smaller than a 38 chest, there wont be a size small enough but a S fits me well enough.
Ok, thanks. I am about 39-40 inches chest IIRC... small should work then. WIll have to look for them, thanks Jason.: Wow that DOES look trim! Nice. Cheaper and easier to purchase than the Land's End custom shirts I have been relying on for trim shirts.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideas!
thumbs-up.gif
I always forget about APC for some reason. I'll have to dig around and see what the Full Circle ones look like.

Any good sources for Band of Outsiders?

Mossimo looks good too. I'll have to take a look the next time I am at Target.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Ok, thanks. I am about 39-40 inches chest IIRC... small should work then. WIll have to look for them, thanks Jason.:
Wow that DOES look trim! Nice. Cheaper and easier to purchase than the Land's End custom shirts I have been relying on for trim shirts.

the small should fit you well then. The chest measures 40", armpit is 9", 25" outersleeve/21" innersleeve, and the body around the stomach is 18.5". Seriously, these are the same measurements for a size Med Band of Outsiders shirt. There's one fabric that's steel blue with burgundy pinstripes that looks cool but I havent been able to find a size S yet...plenty of L and XL tho
frown.gif
Best to go to a store and try on, like I said they have other striped and checked fabrics that I dont see on the website. Good for everyday shirt to knock around in.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might experiment with Lands End made to measure. Good collar roll, decent fabrics, better customer service, more dependable delivery than Jantzen. I think they are about $60.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
You might experiment with Lands End made to measure. Good collar roll, decent fabrics, better customer service, more dependable delivery than Jantzen. I think they are about $60.

They are indeed decent, at least in my plebeian eyes. Received one this morning actually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads