• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation needed: Very comfortable dress shoes

nice1take5

Reaction score
I work on my feet, about 10-12 hours in a suit. Just had knee surgery, and would take about 6 months or so for me to be at 100% again. I was wondering if there are any dress shoes you can recommend me? Rubber bottom preferably, but a very comfortable leather bottom will be ok. I just need the support.

Keep in mind my most comfortable pairs of shoes right now are bologna constructed Santoni, as well as goodyear constructed ones. My only gripe with my goodyear pairs are that they are too heavy for being on your feet the whole day. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are recovering from knee surgery, and on your feet all day, I would strongly recommend going to one of those places that sells custom orthotic footwear. Yeah, the shoes will be ugly as ****, but I'd guess your health and full recovery is worth looking like a dork for six months.

Ermil1985

Reaction score
 ýòÃ
00ae.png
ì ÷òÃ
00ae.png
-òÃ
00ae.png
åñòü. ÃÃ
00ae.png
íÿòíÃ
00ae.png
, áÃ
00ae.png
ëüøÃ
00ae.png
Ã¥ ñïàñèáÃ
00ae.png
çà ïÃ
00ae.png
ìÃ
00ae.png
ùü â ýòÃ
00ae.png
ì âÃ
00ae.png
ïðÃ
00ae.png
ñå.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nice1take5
I work on my feet, about 10-12 hours in a suit. Just had knee surgery, and would take about 6 months or so for me to be at 100% again. I was wondering if there are any dress shoes you can recommend me? Rubber bottom preferably, but a very comfortable leather bottom will be ok. I just need the support.

Keep in mind my most comfortable pairs of shoes right now are bologna constructed Santoni, as well as goodyear constructed ones. My only gripe with my goodyear pairs are that they are too heavy for being on your feet the whole day. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bontonis.

Of the many many dress shoes I have bought or tried, these babies rank as the most comfortable.

Dont know why. Maybe they put some Nike insoles in their shoes. If I ever resole them, maybe I will get the cobbler to dismantle the insoles to take a look.

Dont know whether all Bontonis are just as comfortable, so you should try some in a comfortable last for you. They seem just like any other dress shoes in terms of weight but you sure will look stylish in a DB suit and a patina triple monk strap number than some Crocs (and I dont mean the reptile kind).

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
If you are recovering from knee surgery, and on your feet all day, I would strongly recommend going to one of those places that sells custom orthotic footwear. Yeah, the shoes will be ugly as ****, but I'd guess your health and full recovery is worth looking like a dork for six months.

Nah. Bespoke shoe makers have a orthopedic feature which you have to pay a bit more to get. Did not take up the option but may do so next time there's an opportunity.

Poindexter

Reaction score
I wuz in Macy's the other day looking at shoes, and they have a pair of Rockport caps in my size. Talking to the SR, she said, 'Guys who spend all day on their feet love the Rockports and Cole Haans, because they have athletic shoe tech inside.' To this I would add Ecco, who do the same trick of putting trainer insides in more dressy shoes.

If you're coming off knee surgery, I abnegate any responsibility for the above, only that these shooz are very comfortable and easy to spend hours on your feet in.

Aloha,

Poinz

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 Bontoni uses a breathable foam that was developed by NASA for space suits in place of traditional cork. I have a pair and they are favorites for walking trade shows.

But if recovering from surgery, I would look into a rubber sole. I think rubber soled bucks rank at the top for comfort but they are more casual.

Originally Posted by Jangofett
Bontonis.

Of the many many dress shoes I have bought or tried, these babies rank as the most comfortable.

Dont know why. Maybe they put some Nike insoles in their shoes. If I ever resole them, maybe I will get the cobbler to dismantle the insoles to take a look.

Dont know whether all Bontonis are just as comfortable, so you should try some in a comfortable last for you. They seem just like any other dress shoes in terms of weight but you sure will look stylish in a DB suit and a patina triple monk strap number than some Crocs (and I dont mean the reptile kind).

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
+1 Bontoni uses a breathable foam that was developed by NASA for space suits in place of traditional cork. I have a pair and they are favorites for walking trade shows.

But if recovering from surgery, I would look into a rubber sole. I think rubber soled bucks rank at the top for comfort but they are more casual.

Serious about the NASA thing? I thought it was just some cheap nickel and dime insole.

As for rubber soles, you mean moccasins? My office have tons of people with the same idea and thinks its fine stylistically with office long sleeve shirt and pants. They make it worse by pairing socks with square toe mocs. Ugh!

Normal dress shoes with rubber soles isn't that much more comfortable than that with leather soles. My Bontonis still rock them all. But when I travel and need to walk alot, I just bring a black pair thats easy to remove in airports. Its not exactly comfy but I dont develop blisters and nothing soaking my feet in warm water in the hotel room can't solve.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads