• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation Gifts Question

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to get 3-4 bottles of Johnnie Blue as gifts for several of the principals at my current job for writing me recommendations for B-school (and to make sure they remember me going forward, always helpful). I have the option of engraving the bottles with something like,

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your support, enjoy in good health

- DHC905

Or

XXXX -

Thanks for everything.

- DHC905

Or perhaps not signing it at all? Attempted to make this a poll, don't think I succeded. EDIT: Succeeded, now I really know I'm ready for B-school.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, seeing the number of responses to dumb threads makes me wonder about you guys. Has nobody given a recommendation gift before?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how this works in the corporate world. As an academic, I write letters of recommendation quite frequently and expect no gifts.

I think that engraving the bottles would be very tacky. Did they write letters because they want you to go away permanently or possibly to return with more skills? Don't push the point, and don't brown-nose so obviously.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Really, you don't expect anything? Tell me you still get things - I doubt anyone would admit to "expecting" consideration from someone - but sort of the same way I don't "expect" people to bring something when I have them over for dinner, but if they don't I'm surprised at their lack of social etiquette.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't engrave it. It comes in a nice presentation box already, I think that is enough.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, that's what I want to avoid! I guess the question is if you recieved an engraved bottle, would you think - that's pretty awesome?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
lol, that's what I want to avoid! I guess the question is if you recieved an engraved bottle, would you think - that's pretty awesome?

Of Johnny Walker Blue? I think it would make an awesome regift: won't spoil, has a facade of luxury, etc.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a good regift, but I want them to enjoy it and remember me when I come asking them to hook me up with other people in the industry, not so they can get brownie points with someone else. I want all the brownie points.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a good regift, but I want them to enjoy it and remember me when I come asking them to hook me up with other people in the industry, not so they can get brownie points with someone else. I want all the brownie points.
Just stay in touch with them then. Don't try and kiss their asses with tacky engraving on expensive bottles of whisky that they probably won't still have around two years later when you "need" it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only you know these people and can gauge whether or not they'd think the engraving is a nice touch. What's tacky for some is classy for others, and vice versa.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Were I in your shoes, I would buy something different for each of them that had something to do with their interests. I wouldn't simply buy a bottle of the most expensive scotch around. You want them to think that you are thoughtful, right?

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but I don't think it's as easy as you make it out be. If I worked with YOU, would you characterize yourself as someone who would appreciate the engraving? What sort of characteristics do you have that make you someone who would appreciate engraving? I've worked with these guys for 3 years and I know they like good scotch (not Islay single malts, which is what I'd prefer to get them), but ...

...actually as I was typing that I realized that I probably shouldn't.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Only you know these people and can gauge whether or not they'd think the engraving is a nice touch. What's tacky for some is classy for others, and vice versa.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...actually as I was typing that I realized that I probably shouldn't.
Here you go

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Really, you don't expect anything? Tell me you still get things - I doubt anyone would admit to "expecting" consideration from someone - but sort of the same way I don't "expect" people to bring something when I have them over for dinner, but if they don't I'm surprised at their lack of social etiquette.
Really. As a professor, I routinely help my students and colleagues advance. It's a basic part of my job. Further, I just don't think writing letters of recommendation is especially taxing for anyone. If your corporate culture is to give gifts, give a gift, but don't be smarmy. It's just admission to a graduate program, and it is not as if they "made" your application. You have your own record of achievement to stand on, and you will have to succeed on your own achievements later. In cases where I've helped out colleagues, I've sometimes been taken out to dinner, sometimes not. They are peers in a way that students are not. Again, writing letters is something I do a lot. Re guests: the rules of social interaction and hospitality are different from the rules of professional life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads