• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for nice wooden hangers

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Are the shoulders wide like the Walgreen hangers? I'll have to stop by and take a look next time I'm in Target.

No, the shoulders aren't wide like the Walgreen's hangers, and they probably are a little less curved, but they look much nicer. They also have little tabs of rubber to keep your pants from sliding off the bar.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If you're a 38R or a 40 with narrower shoulders, be careful with the Walgreen's hangers. I think they're sized just about perfectly for a 42R. They don't work very well for me, unfortunately.

Really? I just bought several, and they fit my 38Rs fine.

By the way, thanks for the tip, Alan. If you hadn't kept bringing it up, I might never have remembered to track them down.

16520Man

Reaction score
but when I wanna splurge, I buy one of these from Woodlore:

contoured.jpg

The wood is smooth and splinter free and my 42 jackets hang very well from it.

coachvu

Reaction score
I checked out Target today, and they have boxes of 24 wooden hangers for $13. They aren't curved, but they're great for shirts and pants. Dark or light wood.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF ONLY SOMEONE COULD FIGURE OUT WHERE THE HANGERS FOR SAVILE ROW TAILORS COME FROM!!!

I would buy a bunch in a heartbeat; perfectly shaped hangers with no brand name/ logo, in polished wood or whatever is used to create the perfect hangers.

ideas?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
IF ONLY SOMEONE COULD FIGURE OUT WHERE THE HANGERS FOR SAVILE ROW TAILORS COME FROM!!!

I would buy a bunch in a heartbeat; perfectly shaped hangers with no brand name/ logo, in polished wood or whatever is used to create the perfect hangers.

ideas?

PremNatHrdwdHngrs_xl.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, those are the same ones (or close to it) that i use (hold everything and container store are pretty much the same). i'd considered the hangers now available to retail customers from Oxxford Clothes, which ARE perfect-- but i'd like to get them from the original manufacturer, without logos. they are a much lighter hanger than the heavy wood ones in your picture/ the ones i use, and the shape is really something.

still wondering what company produces hangers for Oxxford, Gieves bespoke, Kilgour, Huntsman....

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A certain independent English tailor offered his source a while back. You could try contacting him. Heh.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know, i was thinkin about that....but as i recall, the hangers weren't really that great (shape/ width of shoulder-ends, etc.)

gotta find out who makes them for oxxford, or maybe i'll just suck it up and order 8 or so of oxxford's hangers once my $$ situation improves. maybe i can simply slap some black paint over the oxxford logo...being ex-military, i guess i like things uniform and straight in the closet!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
ikea for nice wooden hangers. Both light and dark colors.
I like their wooden hangers for shirts, and they have wooden hangers with thick shoulders that are great for overcoats. I've not seen any there I was happy with for suits, though.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I like their wooden hangers for shirts, and they have wooden hangers with thick shoulders that are great for overcoats. I've not seen any there I was happy with for suits, though.
You're right. I hung a suit on an ikea hanger with the thick shoulders and tried hanging the pants on the hanger bar (I was moving it from one apt. to another and didn't want the extra bulk of a separate pants hanger). It doesn't have any felt or friction, so needless to say, the damn pants kept sliding off the bar. I ended up clipping it temporarily with a black paper binder clip. I suppose you can just buy the felt-like material and put it on the pant bar. Or Ikea can have the bright idea of doing themselves. Question - does anyone have a preference for hanging their pants inverted in a clamping pants hanger vs. hanging it over a rounded bar of the hanger? I find that the clamp hangers tend to wrinkle the bottom of the pants, and I end up ironing the bottom of the pants anyways, whereas if the pants are hung over a rounded hanger bar, it is totally fine with no need for ironing. I've read that hanging pants inverted is better because it "hangs out" the wrinkles so to speak. But I don't see anything wrong with hanging pants (in half) over a bar that doesn't crease it anyways.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find that most (all) of the hangers thatare available are too square in the shoulder line. The result is that the jacket hangs like a jacket wears when the collar needs to be lowered. This causes more wrinkling that it fixes.

My preference is for hangers with a more natural shoulder line as the jackets that I wear have very soft shoulder and an extremely natural line. Most jackets would likely not have this problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads