• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recognizing Selvage

drake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
In addition to durability, it feels better, fades distinctly, stacks nicely, etc. etc.

It does none of this.

In-fact, because the selvage edge shrinks differently from the rest of the denim it's actually inferior to non-selvage denim.

You can argue it's more ``authentic."

drake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Non-selvage, but with a chainstitch(wtf?!):
2195354.jpg

There is nothing wrong with this seam.

chris902

Reaction score
I think xchen was just commenting on how he/she found it odd that the hem was chain stitched since in the inseam is not selvedge. It seems that most companies which chainstitch the hem also use denim with a selvedge.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there's nothing wrong with it but why bother chainstitching these?

Also, what is a good term for the fading you find on the outseam of non-selvage denim?

arlee

Reaction score

Also, what is a good term for the fading you find on the outseam of non-selvage denim?

don't they call those train tracks or something of the sort?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems to fit. I think I've heard them called tracks. Looks horrible.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
It does none of this.

In-fact, because the selvage edge shrinks differently from the rest of the denim it's actually inferior to non-selvage denim.

Uh yeah, not really.

Selvage denim is more durable when made with the same quality cotton and so on. It is possible to make ****** selvage and it is possible to make great non-selvage material, but 9/10 out of 10 selvage is more durable than non-selvage.

Fading uniquely and stacking well don't have much to do with selvage or not, that is about being raw/dry. You can have dry denim that is not selvage.

drake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
Uh yeah, not really.

Selvage denim is more durable when made with the same quality cotton and so on. It is possible to make ****** selvage and it is possible to make great non-selvage material, but 9/10 out of 10 selvage is more durable than non-selvage.

Fading uniquely and stacking well don't have much to do with selvage or not, that is about being raw/dry. You can have dry denim that is not selvage.

Back it up. That may have been true four or five years ago but today I bet J. Crew is buying up more yards selvage than all the japanese companies combined.

Selvedge != better quality.

drake

Reaction score

They are chain-stitch for the exact same reason you chain-stitch selvedge jeans. Hint: It has nothing to do with the fact they use selvage denim.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Back it up. That may have been true four or five years ago but today I bet J. Crew is buying up more yards selvage than all the japanese companies combined.

nice reading comprehension there, champ.
teacha.gif

Also, if you want to cry about backing up stuff, lets start with selvage denim "actually" being inferior to non-selvage, as per your claim.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does none of this.

You are right only up to the end of the first sentence. There is nothing inherently superior or inferior about selvedge denim. Also, your point about shrinkage is moot for most modern denim which has minimal shrinkage.

This is true. Then again, there is nothing wrong with selvedge denim. And while a selvedge edge in and of itself does not make top tier denim, the fact is that the majority of top tier denim is made with a selvedge edge.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million

Not true, for the simple fact that quality != durability. Let's not get into this again.

Your powers of logic are weak. The conclusion does not follow.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL

he try to step 2 da mack n he got jacked

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads