• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recently started college--more acne

Reaction score
I started college about three weeks ago and I can't help noticing that I'm breaking out a lot more. I'm on a couple prescriptions from my dermatologist, and they help quite a bit. I'm pretty much clear besides the occasional zit and the red marks left from previous acne, but now I'm breaking out quite a bit lately.

Might this just be the stress/nervousness of school? Or maybe because I'm eating dorm food now? I'm also drinking a lot more coffee and my sleep schedule is much more irregular (sometimes I'll go to bed really early, other nights I hardly sleep at all).

Any ideas? I'm 19, I thought acne was supposed to be gone by now...

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be all the things you described. My skin was always clearer after 2 weeks at home than it was at school, probably because of my sleep schedule and stress. If you don't think you can fix the variables you metioned, see your dermatologist again and see if he want to change your treatment.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyperblastxan1
Might this just be the stress/nervousness of school? Or maybe because I'm eating dorm food now? I'm also drinking a lot more coffee and my sleep schedule is much more irregular (sometimes I'll go to bed really early, other nights I hardly sleep at all).

Hard to pinpoint one cause, all of these could be contributing factors. Has your personal habits changed? Like how much you shower, wash your face (products you use), exercise, etc... They could all play are part as well.

sloaney

Reaction score
I started college about three weeks ago and I can't help noticing that I'm breaking out a lot more. I'm on a couple prescriptions from my dermatologist, and they help quite a bit. I'm pretty much clear besides the occasional zit and the red marks left from previous acne, but now I'm breaking out quite a bit lately.

totally unscientific, but i think stress is a factor.

make sure you are drinking enough water.

take care of your face religiously - i recomend dermalogica products.
scrub, cleanse, tone, moisturise (in the morning, and once more in the evening - but omit scrub)

weather and pollution also probably plays a role

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
totally unscientific, but i think stress is a factor.

make sure you are drinking enough water.

take care of your face religiously - i recomend dermalogica products.
scrub, cleanse, tone, moisturise (in the morning, and once more in the evening - but omit scrub)

weather and pollution also probably plays a role

Hm...good advice everyone, thanks.

Right now, here's my regimen:

Morning
--Wash with Sharp's Face Foaming Cleanser
--(every other day) Exfoliate with Sharp's Face Foaming Scrub
--Take 1 Pill of Anti-Bacterial stuff (no idea what the RX is)
--Use Duac (cream for killing bacterial acne)

Night
--Put on Tazorac (Retanoid for making skin regenerate faster)
--Take 2 Pills of Anti-bacterial stuff

I guess these could all be factors:

1. Less sleep
2. Eating worse
3. Drinking more coffee than usual
4. Exercising less
5. More stress
6. Less water
7. Alcohol (on Fridays and Saturdays)

Hm. I'm definitely not taking alcohol out of the mix, but I can probably working on getting coffee out of my diet, exercising a bit more, drinking more water, and getting a bit more sleep. It's pretty tough to control stress though.

Again, thanks for the opinions guys.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score

It clears up with age but can continue through your 20s, maybe 30s.

I'd drop the face scrub, my dermatoligist frowns on scrubs since they're too irritating (and the scrub particles can clog your pores).

Are you taking multivitamins? If so, stop.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assuming you take a shower in the morning, you should only wash your face once per day, at night.

stop drinking caffeine.

drink a lot of water. your urine should be almost clear with just a tinge of yellow, and darker than that means you are dehydrated.

exercise.

if you aren't getting laid, start. i'm surprised few people talk about this, but ********** on a regular basis can drastically reduce acne.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
assuming you take a shower in the morning, you should only wash your face once per day, at night.

stop drinking caffeine.

drink a lot of water. your urine should be almost clear with just a tinge of yellow, and darker than that means you are dehydrated.

exercise.

if you aren't getting laid, start. i'm surprised few people talk about this, but ********** on a regular basis can drastically reduce acne.

Then wacking it does the same exact thing. You could just encourage him to jack off more :p

Anyways, I'd say that coffee is and stress are the two biggies. See how your face looks during Christmas break or something and compare.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee and alcohol are loaded with sugar man. Once I cut all the excess sugar out of my diet I never really had acne problems again. I've had comepletely clear skin for a few years now. However, I occasionally will get pimples if I slip up on my sugar intake. Say if I get ice cream a few times in a week or if a restaurant accidentally gives me Coke instead of Diet Coke.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greatfire
Really!? Why?

Most multivitamins have potassium iodide, and that irritates acne and makes it redder and more inflamed. Something my dermatologist discovered with his patients. Worked for me!

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

darker urine is not just dehydration, it also occurs after exercise, esp. weightlifting (lactic acid buildup)

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Things that worked for me: I stopped putting all sorts of weird supposedly-acne-reducing chemicals on my face. I washed my face 3 times a day: First thing morning, afternoon, last thing night. No more, no less. I used regular soap. Dial antibacterial works best for me. I drank water and exercised religiously. This is probably the most important: I fixed my omega-6 : omega-3 ratio. I ate fish every day and rid my diet of crap foods. I take that back; this is probably the most important: I stopped touching my face. If you touch or play with your face, all the dirt and oil from your hands gets mixed up in your pores and it has to come out. After that, my acne disappeared almost overnight. May or may not work for you.

bk4

Reaction score
Wash your sheets and pillowcases. Don't let your filth marinate on them for too long.
And by filth, I mean the sweat, dirt, day to day stuff, not your face itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads