Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

+++

2. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

yes i messaged seller after his first auction ended and he alerted me to the bin price which was very reasonable, needless to say i pounced :nodding:

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Keep the Bijan, leave the Hermes. :lol:

4. forex

forex Senior member

I actually like those Bijan belts, I wouldn't know how to wear them but they look very nice. I think he did a great job on belts.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Besides family, friends, music, wine, food and work, Ed just summed up my life for the past 5 years since I joined SF. Well done, sir. Well done.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

First, Stitch, before you buy anything else, get a navy jacket. Even I have multiple navy jackets, plus a blazer I never ever wear because of the damn buttons but that's another story. For OCBDs I still have RL that I picked up about 15 years ago - some are showing their age, badly, but for the most part they wear like iron.

Like Ed said, the flashy stuff is nice and fun sometimes, but you'll wear the basics far more often and seldom set a foot wrong. Keep It Simple, Stitch.

7. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Two questions about wool fabric for Ed and others.

What are some good alternatives to worsted wool? (I have flannel, tweed, and linen coats.)

I've noticed some of my wool pants wrinkle after just a few minutes and require a lot of maintenance while others stay smooth and wrinkles fall right out with steam. Really bugs me.

I'll try to take a closer look at them later but for now what are the kinds of wool fabrics that resist wrinkles?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Thanks for the input, thomas. I am on the look out for a navy SC, i have no idea why i have not got one, i have known that it is a dire need. It may be because i am picky, and staples like those are not easily found on the cheap. Meaning, you can find a sweet odd jacket with all the bells and whistles at last call and ebay and what have you, for a fraction of retail. Staple blues, i have a harder time with, and i am not really tempted to buy one i dont love, just to have it.

Maybe stupid, maybe cuz im a brand whore of sorts, who knows. Either way, no point in buying a staple that wont be used as a staple. But i am on the prowl, 44R for anyone who has a lead for me. :)

As to the OCBDs, i just got a few non BDs from RL that i am quite happy with, i think ill give them a shot, just have to check the collar shape. I like a nice tear drop roll, not the flat pulled straight down type.

Again, thanks for the advice. :cheers:

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Homer J, personally, i find the gaberdines wrinkle worst. worsteds, flannnels... I have a better time with. Its like, the shinier the fabric, the more it will wrinkle ime.

Tho, quality certainly plays a factor too.

10. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

A follow-up question for Ed from his great post (and perhaps an unintentional plug for jrd's B&S):

With the navy jacket suggestion, why not worsted wool? My assumption (perhaps wrong) is that the classic navy jacket (or blazer) is so versatile because you can dress it up or dress it down. And I've always thought of the worsted wools as giving you the most potential to dress something up, to just a notch below a suit in terms of formality.

Would you consider a cotton jacket like this one to be a viable staple? Or does the fabric make it less versatile (in terms of the ability to dress it up):

http://www.styleforum.net/t/311515/...navy-moleskin-at-80-off-free-tie#post_5698128

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Stitch, remember that there's a reason that the non-staples get marked down. After a few passes on the sale rack, what's left is the product that is most-awkward-to-pair, least-likely-to-be-worn. I have a fair amount of clothes I bought because I thought they were beautiful, but actually wearing them was another matter entirely.

12. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

delete.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Sometimes you can still find simple, reasonably-priced staple pieces on ebay that actually fit. Here's a nice Magee's Donegal tweed jacket I got for $50. The only thing I am going to change are the buttons which are plastic, so I'll swap them out for horn. (This is not an 'outfit' BTW - the jacket just arrived in the mail and I was trying it on over a very casual summer shirt and chambray trousers.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member