Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 23, 2008.

1. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

Stitch, don't take this the wrong way, but I am seeing a pattern with you. This is the second or third time in my casual perusal of this forum where someone has taken the time to write out some great advice/suggestions (or a detailed sartorial quote, previously) and rather than read it and think about what has been written, you are quick to tl;dr the quote (albeit politely). And yet you DO appear to have the time to post endlessly.

Quick $0.02 (unsolicited): learn to read; learn to listen and to take the time to absorb life rather than taste it in sound bites and snippets. Get a full course sometime--I bet you'll really Iike it.

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

This is excellent Ed. I have been one of those people that have fallen trap of coming to SF and looking at all these great looks and buying individual pieces that dont always really work well together (shoes, SCs, shirts, ties). Now I feel like I am playing a little bit of damage control and catching up on some basics that you have mentioned here. I have been trying to add pieces wherever I can but as we all know takes a while for it to happen.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

+1, very insightful post.

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I think the first step is to stop posting pics of packages and tagged unworn clothing on the internet.
    You're here to learn about style, not collecting.

5. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Great Looking shoes. I used to have the same pair but had to get rid of them because they were a half a size too small. Enjoy.

6. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Looks a tad bit snug, but this could just be because of how you're standing in the photo. Enjoy both of the suits.

-LR

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have to disagree with you here. i think i always take the time to properly reply to these posts. at work i often do not have time to write a reply with the attention that these posts deserve, but i think i do always get back to them later on. the same wil be for eds post, i assure that i will. i read his post 3 times, and absorbed it well, i am sure i will read it a few more times.

i have taken a lot of advise from people here, and have been implementing it over time. i can read, and i do listen.

the quick post i wrote before was simply to let ed know that i saw his post and it most certainly was appreciated, and did not go unnoticed.

8. in stitches

sidebar - some of those convos also end up in PM.

i dont mean to sound angry or offended, i am not. i just dont want ed, or anyone else who has taken the time to write out a long and thought out post for me, to think i do not give them the appropriate attention.

9. in stitches

i think everyone agrees there is nothing to learn from pics of boxes, it just adds a bit of fun to the thread participants. i dont think there is necessarily any harm in that.

10. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Agreed. I lurk a shit ton and this is one of my fave threads. I love seeing everyone's sick purchases (albeit I get a little jelly.)
    However, Stitches your box pics are the equivalent of Spice Channel pr0n. We want to see what's inside the box. :slayer: :uhoh:

11. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Stitchy, I like the teez pics at work then when I get home you have posted the great items :) Do ya thing bro.

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

There should be no fun.

Fashion is srs bsnss.

Nah it's just something i'm a little perplexed by in general. I think it started out as a joke and people haven't yet realised that it's not funny.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

A package arrived today...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Have you never read a PurseForum thread with 800 pictures of a "reveal"? :confused:

15. in stitches

so what i have taken from this post, is that i dress just like edmorel. :bigstar:

it really is truly shameful that i do own a navy SC yet. i have bought 6 SCs since joining, none are solid navy. one is navy, but it has a light brown windowpane. not loud, but still decidedly not navy. i recently bought a solid brown SC with some texture, i posted it not too long ago, and i am very pleased with it. i have worn already quote a few times, and never feel like i am wearing the same thing, because it is used with different pants and shirts each time. im sure a navy wold be even better, hopefully that will be an addition i make sooner than later.

as i looked through my shirts, i think they are actually mostly solid color. mostly white, and a few blues. the patterned shirts i have, i really consider to me more casual shirts, ones i tend to wear sans SC. i had always been anti OCBDs, but i also had never really wore SCs, i only wore a jacket as a suit, and then i wore a tie. as i have started to wear SCs more, i realized that i really dont like non OCBDs without a tie. the collar inevitably seems to fall, and get lost under the coat, whereas the OCBDs stay up, nice and crisp, above the SC lapels. i am planning to zone in on my next shirt purchases being OCBD as i very often wear trou/SC/no tie, and i have enough solid non OCBD shirts for when i wear a tie. as well, i noticed most of my older shirts have shorter collars, which really do not work for me, especially because i have a round shaped face.

as to ties, as well, almost all my previously bought ties would fall in the louder camp. either in color, design, or sheen. i actually do not find boring solid or neat ties to be boring. i have found when employed properly, they can really add to the outfit, and pull things together, much like a good rug, in that regard (big lebowski reference). i think the last half dozen ties, or more, i have bought would be classified as boring. which i like. including solid black and navy grenadines from hober that are in transit at present. i do need to add a solid red/rust though, at some point. and a nice, small patterned shepherds check and houndstooth would also be welcome additions.

i agree with you here, in that i much prefer wool trou with a SC. this is my favorite part of your post, because i have 4 pairs of solid gray pants in different shades and weights, and thought i had made a mistake, i feel much better now. no brown yet though, good rec. no real textured trou either.

i can say though, i will not be getting any wool/linen blends. :)

i know that there are "dress" khakis, that can worn like wools, but i have no dress khakis that i would wear with a SC, and dont really plan on that in the near future. as i really prefer wool pants with a SC, and khakis with a casual shirt, no jacket.

as an aside, the drill khakis in my post that prompted all this, i dont know if they are useful or not, or "good" pants or not, but i wore them today, and holy hell are they comfortable. cotton and linen are perfect for bmore summers. light enough that you stay cool, but structured enough to not become a wrinkle fest like all linen trou.

first, what are NSTs? :embar:

i dont really have all that many shoes, but dress suedes are something that i think i need to add, thanks for the tip on using them with SCs, i would not have known that.

i can happily say, that at present i have only 1 pair of patterned office pants, and no peak lapeled suits or double monks. not that i dont like them, but at least that is something i recognized that i was not ready for, nor could i really properly use.

sadly, i think my trajectory was similar to yours it seems, in that i bought a lot of things that i really had no idea how to use, without having any real foundation that i was building on. i am attempting (not that i dont slip from time time, i do have desires, you know) to really make more thought out purchases, and make a start, albeit late, on building my wardrobe with more functional, multi-use, staple items.

posts like yours are really helpful, to anyone who cares to pay attention, in making that foundation. there are things in there i did not know, and things i did know, but bear repeating, or i didnt really understand until now. and having those things put forth so clearly, succinctly, and in a very organized fashion, are a great resource to have, and look back to. and to keep as guide.

thank you very much for taking the time to do that. i hope it is undestood that i do read these things, and take them to heart, and apply them to my style in the ways i am comfortable with and able.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012