• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reccomeneded hotels in New york

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know many of the members reside or stay in nyc often so could anyone reccomend a decent hotel for the little amount of 200 USD-300 a night, I only have 2 to 3 nights in new york in order to get a visa.

heavyd

Reaction score
use priceline.com name your own price. pick 4 star hotel and select either midtown east or central park south and you cant go wrong....

you will get a lousy room at $200 retail

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Seriously for that amount you should just stay at The Pod Hotel (might still be found via the Pickwick Arms website).

Can you really get a room at The Hudson, Royalton, Dream, Kitano, Bryant Park, etc for that cheap on priceline?
I've only ever used expedia to book things.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ btw, The name "The Pod" is not a misnomer for that hotel, the rooms are pod-like but nice and nicely appointed for the price. I have fond memories of that hotel
inlove.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I really like the Salisbury on 57th, about 1-2 block from Bergdorf's

3 star hotel, great location in the middle of midtown and next to 2 key subway lines. Awesome continental breakfast, easily the best continental I've had. I'm sure rates depend on time of year but we stayed there for 4 days at $150/nite thru hotels.com. Having also stayed at some moderately nicer hotels like Park Central, I would def go back to the Salisbury next time in town.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
^^ btw, The name "The Pod" is not a misnomer for that hotel, the rooms are pod-like but nice and nicely appointed for the price. I have fond memories of that hotel
inlove.gif

Are we thinking about the same thing in the east 50s? A few months ago my friend stayed there and I guess previously it was an old place called The Pickwick Arms; but, then it was still under construction going from the old to new motif. Now it is a modern feeling "upscale hostel" with flat screens for each bed, an iPod dock, etc.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gershwin or Chelsea Lodge would hook you up for that price.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a good experience at the Cosmopolitan Tribeca at West Broadway and Chambers. Nice, spacious room with a small sofa and a closet and a reasonably sized bathroom and a view for $150 or so. That was several years ago though.

lawandorder360

Reaction score
The rooms at the Hudson I found to be waaaay too small. I could barely walk around the bed. Also a bit too funky for me.

The W Hotel at 51st and Lex (i believe thats the location) was very nice when I stayed there. Room service was pretty busy, even though I just needed a fork and knife it still took 65 mins.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a student waaaaaay back in the early 90s and first moved to NYC The Hudson was still The Henry Hudson Hotel and most of the rooms were sub-leased by an organization that provided reasonable housing for students. I got to have a private room (no kitchen) for $350 a month. Oh, those were the days....

heavyd

Reaction score
I personally just got the Parker Meridian for 2 nights at $200 per on priceline name your own price. They really only deal with 4 star hotels (if you choose 4 star) so you can't go wrong. On check in with a smile and a tip I got a park-view room ($489 retail). One of the many benefits of being well dressed
blush.gif

Most 3-star hotels in NYC are long on wear and tear...

Also, NYC is a great hospitality city - evening check in's with $20 always gets you an upgrade. Evening check in assures that all the rooms are occupied so whatever is left they are happy to upgrade you into.

You have to be comfortable with a little uncertainty but if you know the area you can pretty much gauge where they will put you.

Select Central Park South or Midtown East and you can't go wrong for the price you will end up paying.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
When I was a student waaaaaay back in the early 90s and first moved to NYC The Hudson was still The Henry Hudson Hotel and most of the rooms were sub-leased by an organization that provided reasonable housing for students. I got to have a private room (no kitchen) for $350 a month. Oh, those were the days....

That was Mr. George Scott, Educational Housing Corp.

But... there was not a great bar scene in the lobby, nor was Time Warner Center next door - that was the time to BUY in Manhattan!
musicboohoo[1].gif

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I had a good experience at the Cosmopolitan Tribeca at West Broadway and Chambers. Nice, spacious room with a small sofa and a closet and a reasonably sized bathroom and a view for $150 or so. That was several years ago though.

That hotel has been improved but is still budget conscious relatively speaking. Though it is right on the 1/9 train, it is pretty isolated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads