1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes. Christ people it was meant to be a nice gesture, and I got to learn about something.

MUST WE BE STICKLERS TO EVERY DETAIL

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I did, that woman that got her boot pissed it is a psychopath.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

leave a glass of apple juice outside her door.

2 people like this.
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

after a few months of riding the A-C-E line in Manhattan, I've made a general observation. Usually, if a train pulls in and one car seems completely empty, you should avoid it since it probably smells like liquid garbage and fungus in there thanks to some hobo. This is a standard MTA rider habit. On the E train, you should do the opposite and look for the fullest car possible since the odds are there's some hobo causing problems anyways.

The A and C are fine, but there's just something about the E that attracts hobos, and it's awful.

1 person likes this.
  5. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

With all constant killing in the news, I'm surprised I haven't heard of anything like this happening.

[​IMG]

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I have to say that this does seem like a special reason that NY sucks. Extra-funky homeless people who live on the subway seem unique to New York. BART probably comes the closest, but SF, even with its large population of free-range mental patients, can't really compete. I don't think any other major metropolitan area, anywhere in the world, is even in the running.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I mean, on most lines it's pretty rare. Maybe happens once every few months, and I've ridden a variety of lines.

The big exception is the E. It's gotten to the point where I look into the car before I get on to see if anybody is clustering away from a smell. That line is that bad.

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I think it has something to do with how (relatively) sparsely used, the number of stops and the length that the E train travels while being underground that draws them.

I noticed the E gathers them quite readily. The 1 Train sometimes, but not often on weekdays.

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

[​IMG]

10. patrickBOOTH

I've noticed the blue lines in general have the most putrid homeless. I actually find it amazing how such a smell can fill an entire car.

11. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Speaking of nyc subway trains, has anyone ever come across this lady with the following description

-Black
    -Stands near the seats at the far end of the cars
    -has her body turned to the seats
    -when you approach her to take a seat, she turns around, stares at you and begins to say something loudly in another language with some very thick african accent

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I realize that illegal aliens are sanctified beings who can do no wrong, and about whom it is blasphemy to say anything negative, but how's about if they stop coming and ringing my doorbell incessantly at 6:15 am every time it snows?

No, I don't want you to shovel my walk, I will take care of it. Go away and don't disturb my family. In America, we tend to sleep until at least 7 am on weekends.

1 person likes this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did you ask for their papers?

14. Manton

No, I used prosecutorial discretion and let them go.

Better yet, I taxed the rest of the street and gave them money for doing nothing. Except breaking the law in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Except they were not doing nothing - they were up at dawn trying to make a buck through hard work.

1 person likes this.
  16. Manton

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It isn't blaphemy. Statement/joke just seemed like a poor fit for your particular morning anecdote.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  18. Manton

"working hard" apparently excuses or exonerates ever possible offense.

Look, I know that I am in the minority among "coastal sophisticates" in actually wishing to see the written immigration laws enforced. In the circles in which I live and work, there is not only no one who agrees with me; I can't really even state my opinion aloud without starting a fight and/or jeopardizing my employment. This despite the fact that the vast, vast majority of the American people agree with me, and the fact that our cowardly politicians lie constantly about the issue, and won't change the law, rather they just prefer to flout it year after year.

Leave all that aside.

It is beyond rude to go and wake up people you don't even know, super early on a Sunday morning. It just is. Uncouth. Unacceptable. Bad business practice. Gauche. Intrusive. Etc.

Sugarbutch's perpetual liberal sermonizing notwithstanding, it's obnoxious behavior, whoever does it.

Now, it happens to be a fact that illegal aliens, and only illegal aliens, routinely do this in my neighborhood and to my house in particular. Maybe they don't know our customs yet. Nor will they ever, because the current ambient culture thinks assimilation is the modern moral equivalent of a concentration camp.

All of liberalism is now so wrapped up in the cult of the illegal that it holds they can do no wrong. Violations of basic courtesy can't even be mentioned, or else the mentioner is an asshole. Because illegals are saints. They "work hard"!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  19. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Unless you've been invited, or are delivering a package, I don't want anyone coming to my door for any reason, ever.

2 people like this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

Put a sign on your door (in Spanish) that you don't want your walk shoveled.