• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare suit wearer...most versatile shoe color...

woolymammoth

Reaction score
If one rarely wears a suit e.g. funerals, rare business meeting, rare social event thus only has need for one dark navy suit what shoe color/style would suffice? Suggestions welcomed - what about these... As I knew but did not want to admit a black shoe is a must thus it seems even a rare suit wearer can use 2 pair of shoes to cover all the bases as I find black shoes a little too formal for less formal occasions.
cap.jpg
(photo Leathersoul)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very dark brown or cordovan shoes can be worn with odd jackets or even sweaters without looking too out of place.

But IMO, everyone should have one pair of black shoes for the few times that such things really aren't negotiable.

well-kept

Reaction score
I almost always wear some shade of brown or cordovan. However, for funerals, black-tie and more serious social occasions, I believe black is a necessity.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe you posted is a perfect choice for a navy suit. I don't recall the last n00b with such good taste.

But you can't wear them with a black suit (not that you need to wear a black suit)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there is too much forum adoration for brown shoes.

I don't think brown shoes look that fantastic with all outfits. In fact, black shoes--properly polished--sometimes look much better.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
these shoe i think are burgundy!

but yes i agree with LK if you dont wear suit and conservative business dress on a regular basis then think you should go for black and then you second pair is burgundy!

rxcats

Reaction score
I like the shoes pictured on the OP. Exactly what are they? I could do with another pair of dark brown (or burgundy) shoes.

Paris_West

Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear it, but I have to say black shoes. You say they're too formal but I think that's not true if your shoes are a matte black and a low key design.

And of course, don't forget to match the shoes with the belt
smile.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think there is too much forum adoration for brown shoes.

I don't think brown shoes look that fantastic with all outfits. In fact, black shoes--properly polished--sometimes look much better.

my opinion

Everyone likes brwon shoes, but often it looks bad ... so first have some black ones.

weeks

Reaction score
Get a good pair of black balmoral captoes. You will always look appropriate when you need to wear a suit and they will last forever especially since you don't wear them that much.

I definitely would not wear brown shoes to a funeral.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by weeks
Get a good pair of black balmoral captoes. You will always look appropriate when you need to wear a suit and they will last forever especially since you don't wear them that much.

I agree, completely.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to get only one, get plain black cap-toes. Park Ave's or the equivalent in a sleeker brand, if you prefer. They are necessary for formal occasions, funerals, interviews, etc. Then get brown for your next purchase if you feel you'll get use out them. There are plenty of brown balmorals that are perfect for a suit and you can wear with other outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads