• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenfell makes an excellent old-fashioned trenchcoat. It's so old fashioned that I only wear mine with sweatshirts and jumpers, or else I'll look like an extra from Only Fools and Horses.

Panama

Reaction score
It would appear Grenfell and Gloverall are producing great product. I find Private White VC a bit pretentious and maybe too expensive.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
It would appear Grenfell and Gloverall are producing great product. I find Private White VC a bit pretentious and maybe too expensive.

I have a Grenfell coat. It's nice. No experience with Gloverall. I have a PWVC Twin Track in waxed cotton from some years back and it's a very nice coat. My one complaint is that the sleeves are pretty slim which makes it a bid hard to get over knitwear. From what I see in pictures, other outerwear from them may have this problem too, which is annoying if you are wearing knitwear or tailoring. That being said, my Twin Track is very nice and I wear it regularly. If you like the look of their stuff, they make a good product. I also think it is funny that they have a section on their site for "legwear".

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pvt White pretentious? I would say they are high quality takes on classic outerwear. I have three of their coats and love them.

driving glove

Reaction score
I have the Pvt White trench coat and one of the donegal tweed balmacaans, and agree that they are high quality and long enough in the body for better weather resistance and to provide a nicer silhouette than some other brands (granted I am a bit taller than average, so the last point may not matter to most). I think the value is there to amortize the purchase cost over many years. I don’t anticipate trading up from either coat.

driving glove

Reaction score
I also have and like the Gloverall Churchill pea coat. Just would like to replace the plastic buttons at some point with matte horn (sounds like an action hero).

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Private White — the company that names its suppliers and discloses the margins it makes on its products — pretentious?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I go to the theatre, it's like theater but spelt differently, I wear a decent dress shirt and trousers with the occasional sweater or slipover. Most guys are now in shorts and sweatpants/joggers. Where is the pride? It wasn't long ago it black tie was de rigueur...

Yeah, when people don't dress up for the theatre I'm like: Jesus guys...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's trying very hard not to say what all the soi-disant critics of Bridgerton think, which is that it is bad because there **************** in it, almost as if they don't actually understand what the word 'fantasy' means.

It's not bad because black people are in it, it's bad because black people weren't in the history upon which it is based.

Do you think it was wise when John Wayne was cast to be Genghis Khan?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Do you think it was wise when John Wayne was cast to be Genghis Khan?

I’m not at all familiar with Bridgerton, but that isn’t a particularly apt comparison. Black people have played a role in British society for centuries, though history books written by people who look as pale as me rarely focused on them. I’m told that the show features an unrealistically racially integrated society, but in reality it’s probably not all that much less fanciful than the universally lily white casts of most British period pieces.

Casting John Wayne as Chinggis Khan, on the other hand, was just a flat out silly move, because the number of white people in Mongolia at that time could be counted on the fingers of the hand of someone who played with fireworks. Even today there are only a couple of thousand of us here. Plus Khan was a historical figure who actually existed.

I mean, I don’t really care. Weird casting decisions made in a different time shouldn’t bother anyone today, but casting a white guy to play Chinggis Khan today would be really dumb, while casting black people to appear in a Regency era drama is fine.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casting John Wayne as Chinggis Khan, on the other hand, was just a flat out silly move, because the number of white people in Mongolia at that time could be counted on the fingers of the hand of someone who played with fireworks.

I also have zero interest in either side of the discussion, but this bit is somewhat ironic given that the equivalent historical impact of the average black (or white) person in England was of comparable scale.

The vast majority of people throughout history are totally obscure. Their mere presence or lack thereof of any particular group implies very little about their roles - although other historical evidence can be brought to bear to prove that case.

Either way, the more annoying thing about fantasy re-interpretations is that they usually have awful storylines - or, like the Great Gatsby film, awful music.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads