• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was re-watching HBO John Adams miniseries, I was disappointed that the actor, Paul Giamatti was not in fact, the second US President John Adams.

It's like actors pretend to be other people and to enjoy it, one is required to have the capacity to buy into the idea that an actor is not literally a historical figure to be enjoyed or taken at face value.

I was as surprised when I found out that the 16th president was also a vampire Hunter. At least, according to the movie.

TomTom

Reaction score
They reference actual posts claiming that classic clothing is tainted by association with racism, classism, and homophobia, and that what we wear is a political statement instead of a style one.

If most of the forum can't bring themselves to wear blazers for fear of what others think, then they have bigger problems than clothing.
Yeah, those horrible racist homophobic ,people in their CM..Like Malcom X, MLK, Harvey Milk. Disgusting human beings

TomTom

Reaction score
Black people may have existed in small numbers in England, but is there evidence they were prevalent as upper class aristocrats? Or more importantly: was Queen Charlotte black? The answer to the latter is definitely not, whereas the answer to the former is very few, if any.

We know how Genghis Khan looked like, we know what Queen Charlotte looked like. This should inform our historical drama casting choices.

England was a largely ethnically homogenous society during much of its history. It is not currently, but was for thousands of years.

I am opposed to putting unnecessary white people in African or Asian society dramas; I am equally opposed to non-whites in European society dramas.

Here's another question I have: would you want a historical piece in the antebellum South to feature a curious number of black slave masters? Jefferson Davis played by a black person? I am not talking about the moral problems of the depiction, but just the historical idiocy of it. The moral problems would underscore the laughable ahistoricity, but it would only underscore, not be the basis of.
Well here in the UK we will soo have a glorious series which depicts Anne Boleyn as black..So I guess that wins the historical **** competition

TomTom

Reaction score
It's a strange occurrence that those that criticized the casting of Prince of Persia and Ghost in the Shell are welcoming the casting of Bridgerton.
No ..do not bring ghost in the Shell into this. As a massive Anime geek i can tell you that the character of the Major after she becomes a cyborg is never described as Japanese or European looking. IN fact that is the whole point of certain plotlines

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Well here in the UK we will soo have a glorious series which depicts Anne Boleyn as black..So I guess that wins the historical **** competition

It sounds like the idea of Black actors portraying historical figures are a real thorn in your side.

Panama

Reaction score
It sounds like the idea of Black actors portraying historical figures are a real thorn in your side.
Tom Hardy has just been cast as Malcolm X . Whilst Charlize Theron is playing Martin Luther King. Such way out colour blind and gender casting, and they are not even American.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
What about the greatest casting decision of the Western world? A Western European man as Jesus of Nazareth?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Do you know what an Aramean looks like? They are Caucasian.
Of that time era? No, I don't think anybody does. But I think there is wide enough consensus to suggest that if a historical Jesus did exist he would have looked like the people that lived around that area. There has been work done by more qualified people to speculate what he would have looked like to say that it is not what most people would consider 'white'.

Caucasian in this case is too broad a categorisation and is a 18th century delineation between the Mongoloids (which includes both people from the Americas and from Asia) and Negroids. More practically, I don't think many white people in the US would identify with an Afghani, yet they are both 'Caucasian'.

On that measure, casting someone who has 1/4 sub-Saharan African ancestry (an example) as Queen Elizabeth II should be seen better than casting an actor of Slovakian-Swiss-Irish descent as Jesus in Jesus in passion of the Christ, no?

Panama

Reaction score
Of that time era? No, I don't think anybody does. But I think there is wide enough consensus to suggest that if a historical Jesus did exist he would have looked like the people that lived around that area. There has been work done by more qualified people to speculate what he would have looked like to say that it is not what most people would consider 'white'.

Caucasian in this case is too broad a categorisation and is a 18th century delineation between the Mongoloids (which includes both people from the Americas and from Asia) and Negroids. More practically, I don't think many white people in the US would identify with an Afghani, yet they are both 'Caucasian'.

On that measure, casting someone who has 1/4 sub-Saharan African ancestry (an example) as Queen Elizabeth II should be seen better than casting an actor of Slovakian-Swiss-Irish descent as Jesus in Jesus in passion of the Christ, no?
Have you been to Afghanistan? I saw blue eyed blondes whilst I was there.
But whatever, you have your prejudiced view as I have mine. Being semetic myself, and having worked in Palestine, Syria and Iraqi Kurdistan I know the Middle East relatively well having also studied it's history.

Pax Britannica

Reaction score
Way overpriced military issued plastic rain coat TBTBTBTBTB ######### L O N D O N

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics