Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    what is your skill level? how much cooking do you do now? there's a whole helluva lot more to cooking that food than following a recipe. if you're a reasonably skilled home cook and y ou want a good baby steps book, pick up the robuchon/wells "simply french".

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

http://www.amazon.de/Grand-Livre-Cu...46/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1324422346&sr=8-12

It only calls for foie gras an alba truffles in every other recipe. The other ones call for perigord truffles.

or since you're in germany

http://www.amazon.de/Christian-Bau-...intl-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1324422483&sr=1-1-catcorr

A lot of the stuff in this one looks pretty doable, and really good if you're willing to splurge on ingredients. Doesn't really call for any scientific ingredients, and only a few recipes even call for sous vide. Bau's newer book picks up more asian influenced stuff, but also gets a lot more complicated in technique, and if not that, the shear number of components in the a lot of the recipes would make them difficult to pull off without an army of stagieres.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

with all due respect, without a pretty advanced skill set already, that's like handing an electrical engineering manual to a guy who just wants to play world of warcraft.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

@fg: I think my cooking skills in "normal" circles would be considered as intermediate/advanced. Compared to matt, mm, manton, you etc. I'm a blunt amateur. I don't know an awful lot of techniques, but I think I learn pretty fast and can adapt quite good to new techniques. I really just need a picture to get a fealing for what it should look like. What do you think of Robuchon's Grand Livre de Cuisine? At a local store, I took a quick look at a newer edition, a German version, and it seemed quite good - however, 10 steps per recipe mostly seem a *little* too much...: http://www.amazon.de/Robuchon-Klass...0589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324421869&sr=8-1
    Is this what you mean with baby steps? Do you think I'm overestimating myself with these recipes? I don't mind spending a lot of time on it - which I guess I will - when I fancy doing it, if that's what's your main concern.

JFYI @AEK: I do not want to splurge on ingredients. We simply don't have the money for it. I doubt I'll cook with truffles often, now that I think of it. 1g is about 2-3€ and most recipes call for 20-40g which is like 40-75€ just for one aromatic. Foie gras however, which I also consider as a haute cuisine ingredient, is more affordable. Is there a flaw in my thinking?

Edit: For example the recipe on page 251 looks very nice. It's not expensive and looks very nice - and I guess it tastes delicious, too.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Grand Livre is a great book. It demands a lot of skill, but is a nice way to learn things. Well done with all of those pics. Many are the same recipes from Simply French, but professionalized. I think I've made all of them at least once, so if you have questions, post them and I will try to help.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

truffles are a splendid luxury, there is simply no denying that they are expensive.

I have paid some good money for food before, but can't ever imagine putting together one of those salads of thickly cut truffles in Simply French, that could be $400 of food by today's prices. Really just beyond reality at this point, no matter how much money one has.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I really want to improve my knife skills what's the best way to learn?

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

that's true, but you have to remember the world has changed a lot in the 20 years since that book was published. back then, you could buy first-growth bordeaux for $25 a bottle. I remember my first trip to Alba in the late '80s and we ate white truffles like crazy ... risotto would come with a half-inch drift of them ... and i don't think we ever paid more than $20 or $25. it is great that so many people are interested in food, but it has undeniably affected the prices of specialty ingredients.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

1) sharpen your knife. 2) buy LOTS of potatoes and onions. 3) dice. repeat until you puke.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

10. itsstillmatt

Like this?

[​IMG]

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

M

Matt you can cook for me whenev

12. impolyt_one

yeah, I would've chalked it up to that. Just so many things in this world that are no longer really affordable even 10 or 20 years on - i.e. pretty much everything people like on this website. :eek: I also find all the mail order sources in that book quite whimsical, haha.

13. impolyt_one

oui - how thickly do you cut the truffles for those salads? they look quite thick in the book.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

You mean Ducasse's one from 01/2009, right? (1k pages, each recipe has a full-page picture of the finished dish) Just asking since there are so many different books out there. This looks like a good one and affordable with a price of 50€.
    Thanks for the offer to help!

15. itsstillmatt

Pretty thick. Maybe 2 mm. The mac and cheese I posted recently has a layer of truffles 3 mm thick. You can only do it once in a while, but if you do, black truffles are not that expensive.

b1os - the Robuchon one, not Ducasse.