Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

ha! remember "mail-order" sources?

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Do you mean the giant ultra expensive one for 250€? I can't find any different. The one I've posted is a German version of 111 recipes with said step-by-step-photos. I prefer English books though but as I've said there only seems to be one Grand Livre by Robuchon in English - the one for 250€ (and I'm not even sure whether it really is in English and not in French). Am I missing something?

3. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I think there are quite a good number of doable recipes in there(probably more than a typical book since there are so g-d many).* And the other ones are pretty good for inspiration and ideas, even if they're too hard. It assumes some knowledge and doesn't hold your hand through the recipes, but it didn't seem like that's what he's looking for. However, I hadn't seen the newer Robuchon book with pictures in it.

*As I wrote this post I flipped through the book, without any super specialty ingredients, and a decently stocked kitchen you could easily bang out a 4 course dinner from it. I'm certain that there are many other recipes like these in it.

1. Roasted asparagus with parmesean, beef juice (p.35) hardest part is planning ahead to make this
    2. Cod with Rougail (p. 215), nothing looks particularly difficult
    3. Double Country Pork Chops; sauteed potatoes; mustard-pickle condiment (p. 909): most difficult step is probably sauteing some potatoes.
    4. some dessert

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

edina, just looked through my office bookshelf and it reminded me of a pretty good book by an old ebuddy of mine, chad ward. It's called "an edge in the kitchen" and it covers just about everything you'd want to know about knives, from buying, sharpening to cutting. warning: seriously geeky when it comes to metallurgy.

5. ama

ama Senior member

I was going to post this too. Its a really good book about knives.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

2geeky4me. Great if you want to learn about knives, but I'd go to Jacques Pepin for knife skills.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

your use of internet vernacular is gr8 tho

8. ama

ama Senior member

+1, full of winz

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

10. delirium

delirium Senior member

Not sure if those goes here, but wasn't sure where else to post.

Can anyone recommend good de-odorizers to place in kitchens? Or best practices?

I'm thinking of something like putting jars/ pots filled with activated charcoal / carbon on top of the kitchen cabinets.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

a bunch of small baking soda boxes would work. That's about all they sell them for nowadays, lol. Over here in Asia we have tons of awesome purpose-made deodorizers/dessicant tubs for everything, i have one in my fridge that is half charcoal, half gel, in a plastic vessel that is shaped like a liquor flask. Slim and discreet, they work pretty well for a few months and then you change them.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Get a lampe berger. We have a few in our house. They are really quite nice, and there are many different scents to choose from.

http://www.lampeberger.us/lampe-berger-official-website-luxury-fragrances-for-the-home

13. SField

SField Senior member

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I know what you mean. We use neutral in the kitchen. It works really well. I always light it after I finish cooking fish, and within 20 minutes the odor is gone. You can also mix the neutral with other scents to decrease their potency. "Ocean Breeze" is my favorite.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Seriously, if you want to ubergeek out, check out www.fortheloveofport.com . It has great beginner guides and articles but also some incredibly detailed and geeky stuff. It is one of the best wine websites on the internerd that is devoted to a single region (along with Burghound for Burgundy). Just great stuff. His newsletters are awesome too, if you want to shell out cash to learn.

This + absolutely.