• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
spit it again plz. I wasn't here. 3 am A&W run ftmfw
What are John Smedley knits like? Anyone comment on the sea island cotton? Is it good? Fit? Is the spring merino good or is it better to wait for winter?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
What are John Smedley knits like? Anyone comment on the sea island cotton? Is it good? Fit? Is the spring merino good or is it better to wait for winter?
Yeah also, besides barneys, what stores carry Buttero boots? They are nice but have no distribution outside rakuten from what I can see.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Tom Ford? I like some of the stuff on their website. Spring Summer 2010 shirting patterns look pretty interesting. Is it priced in the Jil/Raf/MMM range or is it some **** I shouldn't even bother looking at?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Any thoughts on Tom Ford? I like some of the stuff on their website. Spring Summer 2010 shirting patterns look pretty interesting. Is it priced in the Jil/Raf/MMM range or is it some **** I shouldn't even bother looking at?

Much pricier, something like Thom Browne range, sometimes even more. I don't really like it though.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

everything is flamboyant.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
everything is flamboyant.
I just scrolled further right on the site, you're right :p
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Much pricier, something like Thom Browne range, sometimes even more. I don't really like it though.
Thanks, kinda expected that. Would you say the prices are backed by quality construction and materials, or mainly branding?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
What are John Smedley knits like?

Anyone comment on the sea island cotton? Is it good? Fit?

Is the spring merino good or is it better to wait for winter?

JS is good stuff for basics, you'll see more online soon.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Thanks, kinda expected that. Would you say the prices are backed by quality construction and materials, or mainly branding?

from what I've seen, they're quality pieces, as you'd expect with 700+$ jeans and 4000$ suits, but a lot of the price is based on marketing. People want to be that Ari Gold. Basically it's for people with more money than brains.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
I didn't see this, but from what I gather from the other thread and the ny mag article I don't think I'll be buying stuff from gilt. it just seems kinda like a scam (although i'm sure a lot of the items are actually good deals). i just feel like there's so much pressure to buying some item around noon and what if you end up with a product that has less workmanship than the actual items and can't even return it. system kinda seems dishonest
Then again, construction and materials vary from piece to a piece a lot of times. Especially on mid-end brands like APC and shipley. Always a few nice items a season with really nice fabrics and stuff and then others that are similar but cheaper. Jet was always pretty good at letting people know which were the good/bad pieces from collections like apc and others like that. Then again when you have as many clothes as him it must be hard to keep track. Maybe he has a spreadsheet like phat guido has

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Maybe he has a spreadsheet like phat guido has

he does
bigstar[1].gif

click here

Reaction score
****ing junior members always buying the stuff I am interested in getting on the B&S forum! >
frown.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
lol yeah knits are expensive. My cheapest is prob a PRL cashmere Vneck I got for like 1soemthing on the B&S. Other than that it's basically APC, margiela and Thom Browne.
I have 4 of those same PRLs, they're awesome but somewhat thin and the armholes could stand to be higher. Great under a jacket though. I am anxiously awaiting my new jil knits en route now.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^just knitted pieces

and a kop list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads