• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golf54

Reaction score
I actually just pre ordered the Lenovo few minutes a go. I was considering the mbp too but for the price and the upcoming release of w8.1 I felt the was a more reasonable choice.

InHocSignio

Reaction score
Deciding between Lenovo Ideapad Y510p and MacBook Pro with retina display. What should I do? Both have pros and cons. My current laptop is several years old MacBook Pro. Can't really play any games with it.

Lenovo Y510p seems like a good gaming / multimedia laptop. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/index.html What are your experiences with Lenovo? Any of you got Y500/Y510p? While Lenovo isn't ugly, its design and trackpad won't be as good
shog[1].gif

Macbook Pro has way better resale value. If you plan to be upgrading, choose that. If you're heavy into the Apple Ecosystem, also choose that (AppleTV is pretty miraculous with Apple products.) I also find most laptop trackpads infuriatingly bad after experience with my Air, and it's the single most important interaction point IMO. However, even with all those advantages, the rMBP has some serious QC issues this generation; too many people have found its graphic card simply isn't powerful enough to drive the all those pixels, with attendant frame rate drops and such. I'm probably overreaching, but if your not married to the Retina screen as suggested by the consideration of the Lenovo, my choice would be between a souped up retina-less MBPro right now or an rMBP later.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

ZERO Halliburton was sold to a Japanese luggage company in the mid 2000s, but afaik, it was just one of those strategic purchases - companies change hands all the time. I certainly haven't heard of any drastic decrease in quality. I mean, it's not like they will fall apart. Maybe if you are throwing them off a bridge onto a moving train, you might worry about incremental changes in durability, but I assume you won't be doing that. I mean, even James bond needs to get into casual clothes and stop sipping cocktails when he does that type of ****.

I've never seen a Rimowa without wheels.

That said, every frequent traveler that I know uses a roll. Unless you have porters and a private jet, running between terminals to make a connection, or even just getting your **** from security to the farthest gate from security, is a pain, without wheels. Fuuma and I both use a Briggs&Riley. No, they are not beautiful, but they are durable. Softsided cases don't crack or warp - if a hardsided case warps, you are **** outta luck - and ballistic nylon withstands most types of force better - a knife being the exception, in which case, your luggage is the least of your worries.

B&R computer laptop (+phones, mags, etc) + B&R roll + sometimes Supreme duffle, I dunno why people use anything but soft, from a practical perspective. I have some weekenders, including one from Muji that I like, their luggage line is pretty good.

Note: I have Vuitton luggage (not the cheap new soft stuff) and it has historical importance but nowadays only those boring nylon rollups can deliver an ok airport experience. If you have very little stuff or you're checking in everything you can get a weekender or whatever but this is not always the case.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Talked to Ben - there should be an awesome interview with Karlo Steel of Atelier New York coming soon. Some of his opinions may surprise you.

Cool. Can't wait to see it. Karlo, as I understand it, is the one responsible for Atelier carrying Dior Homme, YSL, and he's also the big Yohji fan there (as the owner he has final say on buys, from what I gather, but there are a couple people in addition to him who have say in buys). He likes a lot of the cleaner, tailored stuff—the big design house stuff they have—as opposed to the grungier artisanal small-batch stuff. He likes that too (CCP in particular), but I think if he weren't there they might not carry, for instance, Christophe Lemaire. This is probably an oversimplification, but that's what I've heard. edit: actually, if anyone knows more detail about how their buys work i'd love to hear them. like if I'm totally wrong about the above and he's the only one making those decisions

Here's an old interview with Karlo by Faust. It's interesting. http://historyofourworld.wordpress.com/tag/karlo-steel/ Oh, and some more fodder for the hated fashion v. style debate.

"Then I came across new magazines like Face, Blitz, and I.D., English magazines. They were more about style rather than fashion; they were not about what you were wearing, but how you were wearing it, and how the clothes were connected with other cultural phenomena."

Last edited:

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if this Ann D derby is in stock anywhere but LN-CC?

Went away for a few days and of course they are all gone in my size
frown.gif

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another vote for Briggs & Riley. My bag has held up really well. I got a dark olive color which is great when all those black bags come down the conveyor belt.

T9P3

Reaction score
I'm a student that has saved up nearly £5000 to spend on new clothes, but I'm slightly nervous about just blowing it on items I like. Before I spend I thought I'd ask on here if those of you who have spent years building a wardrobe have any advice - or could let me know some common mistakes new members make - as I've worked many hours trying to save for this :)

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saving up a lot and then buying everything at once is a horrible idea, since there's just no way you will find "your style" at the first try. But since you've already saved up a fortune, I'd say get simple pieces that can be incorporated in a lot of different styles and don't cost a fortune (for example nice jeans, tees, a casual shirt or two, some simple sneakers like Common Projects, and some nice other pair of footwear). You will look fine just wearing this, but from this and from for example following the waywt-and best of waywt-thread you can try out more specific pieces and see what you like.

Also, since you do have quite a lot to spend, you should consider getting a TOJ leather-jacket before they close doors in a week or so, as you just won't be able to get the same level of quality at that pricepoint when they aren't around anymore.

Hopefully this was helpful, and welcome to the forum :)

Platypus

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There should be an awesome interview with Karlo Steel of Atelier New York coming soon. Some of his opinions may surprise you.

Looking forward to this. I actually talked with him (extremely) briefly in Paris about what PPPP mentioned in his post / his buys and it'll be great to hear more.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saving up a lot and then buying everything at once is a horrible idea, since there's just no way you will find "your style" at the first try. But since you've already saved up a fortune, I'd say get simple pieces that can be incorporated in a lot of different styles and don't cost a fortune (for example nice jeans, tees, a casual shirt or two, some simple sneakers like Common Projects, and some nice other pair of footwear). You will look fine just wearing this, but from this and from for example following the waywt-and best of waywt-thread you can try out more specific pieces and see what you like.

Also, since you do have quite a lot to spend, you should consider getting a TOJ leather-jacket before they close doors in a week or so, as you just won't be able to get the same level of quality at that pricepoint when they aren't around anymore.

Hopefully this was helpful, and welcome to the forum :)

I kinda agree with this, I think a nice quality leather jacket is something that's just aways a good thing to have. The white CPs for fall are really good. But in terms of jeans honestly I really like the fit Uniqlo jeans have, they're not really thick high quality denim but I like em. I think besides they one black boot one brown boot really go a long away but keep it simple with a nice shape and good quality and can fit many styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads