1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

So you are saying ANY rich trustfund kid, can build a business with over 2 billion dollar in sales, from nothing.

I find that somewhat doubtful.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I still go to college, still go to student association functions, including the hip hop association (so I can try and book good acts for student concerts and series') and used to do show promoting for a few local clubs back in Sydney and subsequently made soon decent relationships with these acts. The upcoming student concert has 50 cent headlining, when we had this meeting the top 3 requests were ASAP Rocky, Kendrick and Jay Z. Obviously for an entire student body it has to be somebody big with mainstream appeal but we also needed opening acts so I brought up Doomtree, RTJ and Hail Mary Malon since both are promoting new albums. Going over HMM I said maybe we can get Aesop to do a solo set as well as the HMM and kill 2 birds with one stone. First I got corrected : "you mean ASAP!", no, I meant Aesop. Then I got questioned: "who?", fair enough I don't expect everybody to know these people it's just my own agenda to bring in acts that I want to see to supplant the main acts. Then I explained and the exact quote was "I don't want no leecher riding off ASAP's name!".
    So yeah it legit happens. I don't run up to the local record stores pestering kids about the shit I grew up on but it comes up pretty frequently because of the circles I run in and some of the duties associated with those circles.
    As for why I get mad? maybe I don't get "mad, but it annoys me that they are so fucking closed minded. I listen to whatever and if it's shit I move on, if it's good I keep it, I try not to make judgements until I've been exposed to something. Plus the initial comment was a joke.
    /datingmyself

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. msg

msg Senior member

Shoulda gone with Kendrick

4. OccultaVexillum

Should have gone with a lot of other people. 50 cent is relatively local and doesn't get booked a whole lot so he was apparently a relatively easy act to book.

5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Maybe this is information that is private but how much does a 50 cent performance go for? Being that you're a university do performers usually accept a discounted rate?

6. OccultaVexillum

I'm not in on final decisions and bookings but from what I understand it's usually more expensive because student tickets are relatively cheap so there isn't usually any money from ticket sales going to the acts, just up front cash, plus travel and hotels. I think the budget for this concert was like 80-90k, and there are like 6 acts.

7. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Man, you could put on one hell of a party with that kind of money.

8. APK

APK Senior member

I remember seven or eight years ago my old university opened the wallet to bring Ludacris to campus. It was a total bust despite selling out, because he got either six figures or close to it, and then something like half of the concession/merch receipts. He also showed up late and left early, so it was basically like when Spinal Tap came to Springfield.

1 person likes this.
  9. DLester

DLester Senior member

It must have just sold out. fu

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Not many trust fund kids were as rich as her to start off with, and no, most of them couldn't. That's not the point is it?

Let's take a second here to think about what businesses she's run:

- reality TV show. Made money out of the fact she's rich and famous.
    - perfumes. Made money out of the fact she's rich and famous.

Now obviously a lot of it comes down to being smart enough to hire the right people, but this is business. It's pretty easy to make money if it doesn't matter if you fail - just move onto the next project. Just don't blow all your money on cocaine or whatever else those morons do.

Is there anything she's done that's actually impressive? Why is simply making money impressive?

Has she done anything that takes actual hard work, intelligence and dedication?

A celebrity selling perfume is not impressive. Every female celebrity I can think of has a perfume line and each and every one of them is extremely profitable. It's a lucrative business. The markups are extreme and all you need is a name and the ability to hire some faux chemist.

12. Trit

Trit Senior member

Is there any way to get those CA4LA hats to Canada? Farfetch has a selection but I specifically want that linen one and seemingly no one sells it to NA and CA4LA doesn't ship international. I own a different style one already and it fits great. I just ordered this one from Farfetch for too much but, if it works, all is well.

Some folks out there actually do need hats.

[​IMG]

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So a quick update, these guys were just acquired by Amazon
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/10/am...fitr-to-improve-how-it-sells-footwear-online/

15. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I wish I could "rent" one of these Junya jackets for a month, look cool to me now, but I know I'd get sick of them pretty quickly and $1500 is too much to blow on a whim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Pfft 1.5k. The heavily patched-work shorter jackets and blazers were clocking in at 2.5 - 3k at MAC.

17. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

I bet accordion doesn't even play the accordion

12 people like this.
  18. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I like the first one you posted. If you end up not getting it let me know the link. Very farmer-y which I like.

I have an EG hat on the way. I will let you know if it doesn't work out.

edit: nevermind, I found it. Perfect, need a daily one I can trash to hell. The Brixton hat I bought last year is now a weird brownish red color and completely fucked from all the farm work

19. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

So you too felt a flash of cognitive dissonance as you discovered Urban Outfitters carries a stash of very serviceable and very cheap hats?

There has to be a darkside to this. Like maybe the straw was soaked in arsenic or something.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You have to think of Urban Outfitters like Zara. It's trendy clothes that are available better, but for much more, somewhere else. I'm generally not a fan, but honestly, if I want something fast, and tracking down the original means weeks or months of work, and it's not a piece I want that much, I'll go there.

I remember that they had a copy of the Lanvin cadet hat I have, and now they have versions of the Ts(S) engineer caps, not that an engineer cap is anything new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.