1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

You know, it's really weird, and I hate to admit it, but I hesitated before purchasing. I wear a lot of cheap stuff, too, especially Uniqlo, and I know that I wouldn't really have even thought twice if it was Uniqlo. It doesn't make much sense, I guess I justify it by thinking that there's not too much Uniqlo wearers around me.

I remember a while back, I was wearing this nice J. Crew shirt, a pattern I really liked. I was browsing records and in walks a guy wearing the same exact shirt with some nantucket red shorts, he looked at me and said "Well this is awkward." I didn't really care about it, but it's nice to have stuff that not too many other people have, you know? I am all for accessibility of clothing, but I am also very interested in not looking like everyone else.

When it comes to bold patterns that I like or pieces that stand out, I kind of prefer exclusivity. Maybe that makes me a donger, and I don't really walk around thinking I'm better dressed than everyone else, but it's nice to be the only one walking around in a dragonfly patterned shirt or a giant cosmic wonder coat? It's a feeling that's hard to explain, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    5 people like this.
  2. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

re: vancouver peaceful restaurant for noodles

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rent-a-swag!

-

I'm with you. the patchwork stuff is cool, but it's kinda so overthetop that it would be one of those "oh, wearing the patchwork jacket again I see" kinda things. I actually bought the more toned down officer jacekt which is color blocked but not boro-patched out.

3 people like this.
  4. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

My closet is so small and I'm so boring this is a major consideration when I make a purchase. If I can't wear something a couple times a week it gives me serious hesitation

Which jacket did you pick up? I was in CdG a couple minutes ago (which I hate to do - why is it the only store in Japan with such cold sales staff??) and this one looked very nice, as did the white ones where the patchwork doesn't stand out as much. Very strong season for Junya, construction and quality is just absolutely amazing - makes Margiela and Jil at the same price point look like H&M

Edit: just googled and saw that there is indeed one called the Officer Jacket - looks great! Never saw it here, a lot of it sold out fast

[​IMG]

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

this is the one I got. I understand about closet space. I've got limited space, so I try to only hold on to the stuff I will wear a lot.

4 people like this.
  6. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

Officer jacket is still available on mrporter in your size I think. Gentry has a quite toned down blazer version that looks great but 1400 usd or sth.

@Parker I ended up buying a shirt instead from the current season haha. Spent my money on Margellons and jeans instead.

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I blame all you enablers!! Took the train all the way across town because I wasn't buying from the jerks at CdG

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Yeah, no.

http://www.elle.com/fashion/news/a18858/paris-hilton-interview/

You can't knock the hustle.

I don't think her family is as rich, as one would assume, I remember the hoopla about all the hotel money going to charity when her grandfather died.

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I had to check it out it looks very cool… but for me the back is a little too much on the leather. Kind of surprised me.

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I got the sashiko blazer, captures the essence of the collection while still being quite wearable. Also wearing jeans every day now (because that's how I decided to spend my spring!) and it pairs nicely with denim. Also I like blazers. If I find some of the white shirts on discount, might pick one up as well

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

quick fit pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    35 people like this.
  11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You give respect for different things than I do.

I think we just have very different values.

1 person likes this.
  12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It probably comes from being self-employed and knowing the amount of work it takes.

1 person likes this.
  13. volatile

volatile Senior member

Where is this on sale? A reverse image search revealed nothing!

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I can assure you it has nothing to do with that.

3 people like this.
  15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

What is it then, I have a hard time seeing what makes hers business less impressive, than any others?

16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Rich people making money by selling their celebrity is not impressive to me. In fact, making money in and of itself is not particularly impressive to me either. I'm impressed by what people do, not how much money they make.

5 people like this.
  17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You are missing the point here, she wasn't a celebrity before hand, she made herself a celebrity, with the reality stuff and cashed on it and still is ten years later, as a branding and marketing excersise that is hugely impressive.

Most people like her has a shelf life of maybe 2 years, so 10 years is something else, even some multi million selling musicians have shorter carriers than that.

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Putting my foot down: shut the fuck up about Paris Hilton.

8 people like this.
  19. volatile

volatile Senior member

Why is it whenever an actual conversation breaks out here someone wants everyone to shut it up?

3 people like this.
  20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I'm not sure that thumb comments are worth having to click twice just to give rep.

Though it's better than having to press tab six times to get to the "submit" button. :')

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.