1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterswag

misterswag Senior member

I get your stance but I guess I'd say given the target (famous mainstream-ish rapper), any action/statement/etc done by ASAP would obviously be calculated as opposed to done organically. This isn't some homespun underground punk band, it's a rapper pushing the popular sound and clothing styles of the times. Some tactics may be unsavory, but trying to align yourself with the right brands/people is tough work, even for someone who has "made it".

Anyway, fashion/dressing "well" for a lot of guys is a pretty calculated thing to begin with. Very few on here threw together an outfit with ballin' clothing organically. I mean, unless you're terribly wealthy and stylish.

2. accordion

accordion Senior member

It can be argued that all great Western lit. is based on Goethe's Faust.

3. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

.....uhhh............. what? if you're making a joke, i'm not following.

1 person likes this.
  4. accordion

accordion Senior member

yes and that's why I'm very surprised that people seem to be shocked. Rocky probably thinks the fashion game is the same as the music game, both can be manipulated through carefully managing his image. And that's fine but it just means I try not to care what he wears or look to internet music blogs like Gorilla vs. Bear for musical taste.

Their "calculation" is different from a regular dude thinking about what goes with what since Rocky needs to portray himself as the arbiter of streetwear taste.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

man i haven't heard of gvb in a minute. remember when everyone pretended to like chillwave?

2 people like this.
  6. accordion

accordion Senior member

yes and before that, lo-fi, witchhouse, rapegaze, etc, this rapper/internet/fashion stuff is pretty tame compared to the rise of the blogosphere for indie music in the past decade or so.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I know I'm one of the later ones myself.

8. diniro

diniro Senior member

shocked at what? you're both just making sweeping generalizations and assumptions without any evidence to back it up. And frankly coming off as uninformed, probably the opposite of what you intend.

1 person likes this.
  9. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Wait she's a rich person able that's reinvested some money therefore she's not stupid?

Do we next give her points for not forgetting to take a shit every day?

Don't really have any idea how intelligent she is but I can't stand the argument that success=intelligence. Or even that success=driven, when you're spread starting the race a couple of inches from the finish line.

Well done, you passed go and collected your 200 (million) dollars.

10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I'm just mad when people think Aesop Rock copied this clowns name.

1 person likes this.
  11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I still like chillwave.

:hide:

12. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Never come across anyone who thinks this

13. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

And as for not liking rap and fashion to mix. I guess we can attach the sane skeptism for these rap acts as well

Run DMC
    Wu tang (particularly raekwon and ghostface)
    Outkast
    Black Moon
    Jay -Z (won't be surprised if u already approached him with skeptism)
    Biggie
    slick Rick
    mos Def

Fuck welp there goes a lot of people's top ten lists

2 people like this.
  14. accordion

accordion Senior member

i can separate rappers' fashion choices from their music. And none of those wanted to become some streetwear fashion demigod as badly as Rocky does.

15. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

remember yesterday when some posters didn't know what a 45 rpm record adapter was

9 people like this.
  16. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Really? For the younger audience who are legit fans of the asap mob they have no idea what a def jux is. I constantly run in to people who have no clue who Aesop is and then when they here his name automatically assume he is just riding on the ASAP wave. Obviously I'm not a fan of ASAP, but that doesn't matter, the fan base of ASAP and people like OF just drives me nuts because they refuse to look outside of tiny little sphere. And speaking of rap and fashion just look at Chace Infinite (ironically enough the manager of ASAP Mob), he went from a sneaker enthusiast to going to trade shows to getting an in to becoming the buyer and manager at Prohibit in NYC to starting his own small crafts line of incense, fragrances and jewellery to now owning his own shop in LA selling his own shit. And he's STILL a great MC.

I don't know why I mentioned all of that. I like fashion and I like raps.

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Well I read some news story a day or so ago that a police station was locked down and a bomb squad called in over a suspicious object in the station … that later turned out to be an eight-track cassette tape! :happy:

1 person likes this.
  18. diniro

diniro Senior member

lol no you don't. how do these situations go? you come across a group of kids talking about ASAP Mob, and you chime in with "hey kids, have you heard of Def Jux and Aesop Rock?"? And even if this made up story was true, why would you get mad? backpack rap peaked in the mid 2000s. (i liked backpack rap)

3 people like this.
  19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I wonder if all the people going "Smh kids these days" listened to rap from a decade preceding the rap they enjoyed beyond just major figures.

Anyway backpack rap still exists. It's just now made by j. cole and it's terrible.

3 people like this.
  20. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Looks like Understudy may have it. And they are currently running 15% off with the code SPRING15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.