1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max-t

max-t Senior member

that's a great post 4est and i'ma let you finish but the beach boys are the best band of all time. the best band of all time!

no such thing as a bad beach boys album. i'ma throw on 20/20 right now.

2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

rather thought provoking c4est, I'll need to reflect on that for a bit, thanks for sharing!

oh and is there no raf simons ss14 thread?
    I searched and only found the js/rs shoppers thread, the rs/sr fw14 thread and fw12 thread, wanted to know how the outerwear fits for ss114

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

FTFY

1 person likes this.
  4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

This. I know people who kinda save their good stuff because they're afraid to mess it up or wear it out. If I have something I like I wear it every chance I get.

2 people like this.
  5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Don't think that's what he meant. Like, I have a super bright, shiny floral Dries shirt that is totally ridiculous, but I only wear it in certain situations because it's pretty much the loudest thing ever. I'm not saving it because I don't want to mess it up, but because it's hard to pull off / I feel like wearing something easy that I don't have to think about 5-6 days a week. I have a number of things like that.

For reference:
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

well put spleen spirit

I think this is fine, too. I've personally sold a lot here on B&S and ebay, mostly from my old days of BoO, Gitman, 21 oz denim sprees. It's a revolving door of trying stuff out, because honestly you will never know how much you'll like something until you actually see it on yourself and in the context of your lifestyle. For me, generally in order to buy something new I have to sell something, and in the end sometimes I wonder if I ever know what I really want. My closet is pretty small, maybe just about the size of what Regis typed out. But it can be a revolving door sometimes, and in that way it's really the opposite of minimalist (not to mention I dress like the gaudy dork anyways). I have since settled to a general "look", but still, even within the confines of that style there's much to be explored.

It's a lot of effort to buy and sell on the marketplace, always looking for that one thing, trying to battle lowballs, etc. But it's the only way I can shop with my budget, and I rarely am able to purchase something new at retail, though I wish I was able to to better support brands and shops that I like. I want to try so many brands out there, for example NMWA has picked up some great but obscure brands that I'd love to try. In the end you will probably have to play the marketplace at some point because you never know if that new brand becomes your next go to.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

shocked re lemaire hate. his silhouettes are so beautiful...his fabrics are so good...:puzzled: I guess if you're not into oversized stuff then alright but...

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

lol @ people who love yohji but hate on lemaire

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

My issue is that I love a lot of SWD stuff but pretty much can only wear it 2 days a week.

10. pickpackpockpuck

seemed like he made both the point you're referring and a slightly separate one (wear your grails like beaters) but ok

not sure if serious. i think they're very different.

1 person likes this.
  11. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

^+1. lemaire reminds me of damir more than anything.

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

His colors are boring and his cuts are boring, there's no Fun in any of his clothes or maybe I just don't get the references, but I don't know why anyone would want to dress like that. He's nothing like yohji, totally lacking the wackiness and sense of humor that yy injects into his stuff.

I like his womenswear. I've only handled a couple things and seen maybe the last 2-3 collections so it could be that he's done cool stuff I haven't seen, idk.

13. jet

jet Senior member

For me a lot of my nice stuff isn't ordinary so wearing them all the time is just a little too wild, stuff like mint handknit sweater, ecru robe, burgundy velvet boots, jade green striped houndstooth sweater, etc etc. I will never sell any of it because they just don't makem like they used to. Also it's more fun to keep people guessing. I have varying degrees to which I dress and constantly dressing in your most uncommon pieces all the time is boring in itself.

14. sipang

sipang Senior member

Those SS14 colors are great, cmon now. He's very good with that muted palette.

I think the way Lemaire reworks more traditional/conservative silhouettes and cuts with minute changes in length or volume is what makes it interesting.

4 people like this.
  15. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

No need to apologize my friend

This topic seems very personal so I wouldn't expect agreement just discussion. I guess minimalism does vary but man, two pairs of shoes sounds like extreme minimalism to me

I have a lot of variables that allow me to do what I do and be happy with it. The thing is I don't want to have grail items and other items, I want all my items to be "grails" in one way or another. My opinion is anytime I am wearing something I want it to be something that I love to wear. So when I eliminate what I find gets no wear or is just something I made a mistake on...it is sold or given away. This to me is a waste of money so by buying and owning few things I feel like not only am i getting my moneys worth, but I am wearing all my "grails" at all times even a grocery run for example. Why? I don't know it just makes me feel like a million bucks and thats what I want from my clothes anyways. I have a very nice washer and dryer that clean up probably 90% of my wears with no problems or hassles. The other 10% does need to be dry cleaned but the point I am trying to make is that more cleaning is not deal breaker

Having too many clothes is just a bad idea to me. I hate having too many options (when it comes to clothing) and I really like seeing a clean and neat closet that I can say "hey its this items turn in the rotation to get some wear, fuck I love this wearing this....as opposed to shit what I wear? Wait I have this new item I didn't even know I had!! Ok let me put on the same thing I always wear cause I am in a hurry" This is just the nature of my lifestyle. I also travel a lot and I enjoy knowing that I don't have to leave behind my favorite items because they are all my favorite

I wouldn't make any piece my "workhorse" they all get their wear when it is their turn, I try to keep it even

When it comes to selling once I post it....it is like it never existed to me. Once I make up my mind I just can't accept it again. nothing that I've sold I have regretted selling because it was just not part of what I truly enjoy wearing

I am sure tho sounds kind of alien to some, but thats how I enjoy my wears. It is a hobby that I don't want to put that much energy in to because honestly there are more important things, too much clutter and too much brand mixing ruins the simple enjoyment I get from wearing my clothes. If it was sociably acceptable I'd just walk around in my birthday suit and call it a day

P.S. excuse my grammatical errors, quick iphone posting is a bitch

6 people like this.
  16. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

lemaire is closer to yohji than damir. damir is pretty much directionless fashion flotsam at this point. started out with tassles and drapery then went dark luxe giant proportion crazy and seems to be just sort of pinging back and forth around that region. I mean I don't blame him for jumping ship on that early territory as I think it's pretty well expired but he seems to have lost much semblance of identity aside from a few long band collar shirts, sarouel pants and really oversized bombers and parkas but is that really any kind of identity? aw14 was the most coherent (and normal/boring) thing he's done since that wild ass mongols on mount everest collection but obviously the two look like two completely different designers. I wonder what his sales are like.

lemaire has his shapes that he tinkers slightly from season to season and plays with the fabrications but he's pretty much been doing his thing very consistently for a while now.

maybe this is boring for some of you guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. pickpackpockpuck

I think there's a good amount of similarity between Lemaire and the last couple Damir collections. Both seem to reference that late 80s/early 90s sense of volume & proportion before everything got skinny (think egg-ish silhouette). Yohji's use of volume is a lot more expansive than that, in my opinion. Maybe it's just because he's been working so long that you can't say he regularly looks back to a specific period, but even if you were to just look at the last few years I feel like there's much more variation. And if you start taking colors into account then Damir and Lemaire are much more closely related in sticking to relatively subdued palettes (Damir did do that spring collection with the Ackermann-ish iridescent stuff so that's an exception). Yohji, on the other hand, is all over the place, mixing all sorts of colors and prints.

people who like Lemaire should check out Matthew Ames, by the way.

Oh, and KingJ i looked back at c4est's post and see your point. think you're right. that's what I get for skimming.

edit: want to add that I really enjoy conversations like this about design rather than just shopping. so definitely no hate or anything, on lemaire or anyone. don't want to give the impression that i'm trying to tear anyone down.

2 people like this.
  18. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Love how this forum has Pro-Lemaire and Anti-Lemaire camps that are equally vocal

Obviously, I'm part of the former. Dude taps into all the pros of modernism, the simplicity, the directness, etc, but instead of coming off as cold, his collections are casual and approachable. Whereas strapping on something like a Rick jacket makes me feel like I'm about to break shit (not that that's a bad feeling!), wearing Lemaire brings me a sense of calm.

The shapes, meanwhile, are mostly really cool. I love the subtle twists he adds, such as a enlarging a jacket collar or lowering the notches on his blazers' lapels. And it's hard to accuse him of being 'bland' or 'no fun' when he's willing to borrow so gleefully from the clunkier sides of clothing history, such as the huge shoulders of FW14 or the pleated pants to which he returns season after season. Usually he makes it work, but there are times when Christophe and I don't agree. His embrace of the awkward and the frumpy sometimes gets the best of him. But overall, I'm a big fan.

9 people like this.
  19. pickpackpockpuck

semi-related note: Matthew Ames denim capsule collection for Weekday

[​IMG]

the man himself

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  20. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Oh snap, almost identical vibes. Def gotta check him out