• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
reservations for citronelle done. lesseat !

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tried to catch up on a month's worth of posts in this thread and gave up. Props to Synth for spreading that JLS love (and pointing me to a non-Japan stockist). Not enough Kanye hate though, slackers

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stylezeitgeist is doing it for everyone, love that someone posted that ************* travesty of a collection there to troll faust :happy: honestly so annoyed by his existence and I use to love his music
Pretty sure you have to live in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, come from money but pretend to be broke, and look stylish without buying anything new... or something like that. They also tend to be emaciated and obsessed with obscure, unpopular music. The ones I've met would never admit to being a hipster, or even discuss "what it means to be a hipster."

It's definitely NOT those people who shop for distressed Chinese garbage at Urban Outfitters. But possibly ones who might buy the stuff second hand.
maybe cuz I'm never in williamsburg, but I havent truly met an "authentic" hipster. I guess i've only been exposed to the latter case as you mentioned. However, that use to be the exact idea in my mind of a hipster but its been so distorted overtime by ****.

Last edited:

thatguymj

Reaction score

stylezeitgeist is doing it for everyone, love that someone posted that ************* travesty of a collection there to troll faust :happy:
honestly so annoyed by his existence and I use to love his music
maybe cuz I'm never in williamsburg, but I havent truly met an "authentic" hipster. I guess i've only been exposed to the latter case as you mentioned. However, that use to be the exact idea in my mind of a hipster but its been so distorted overtime by ****.

After taking a hard look at Kanye's collection, I didn't think it was quite as bad as people seemed to make it. It seems people are judging it based on him and his personality rather than the product. Not saying its great or anything, but I liked it better than plenty of other established designers which has to be good for something, right? :/

As far as hipsters, having been to Willysbury and living near San Francisco, I think the Mission might be more 'hipster' and annoying than WB....****, if you're between 16-35 y/o and live in SF there is probably a 75% you are what most consider a hipster. They're everywhere!

Last edited:

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That collection went beyond derivative, I agree with the SZ poster who said he basically just took stuff from his favorite lines and mashed them together. Saving grace was the fur backpack, which should have been in a FW collection, but I am a sucker for fuzzy things anyway. If that quote about him taking out loans and getting the best models and blah, blah, blah is true, he got duped by the agency

The blue jeans and white sparkly pants were decent though

Holy ****, he got Zanotti to do his footwear? Also, he supposedly got guidance from Katie Eary, who I like, along with a number of other designers.

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$$$ gets you anything you want

anyways my main problem with his pursuit in this is the fact that he thinks all he needs is $$$ to get himself a great collection. It spits in the face of designers who actually have something to say and do so through their work. I see nothing of value in what he made, yah it looks better than most designers out there, that happens when you hire good people.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tried to catch up on a month's worth of posts in this thread and gave up. Props to Synth for spreading that JLS love (and pointing me to a non-Japan stockist). Not enough Kanye hate though, slackers
Wait, what did I do?

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wait, what did I do?
Pointed Snowman to look at some JohnLawrenceSullivan stuff and linked (or maybe he linked) to H. Lorenzo who I didn't know was a stockist

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That collection went beyond derivative, I agree with the SZ poster who said he basically just took stuff from his favorite lines and mashed them together.
True. But then so does Phillip Lim, Daniel Alessandrini, Marc Jacobs, Simon Spurr, Michael Bastian, White Mountaineering etc etc
$$$ gets you anything you want It spits in the face of designers who actually have something to say and do so through their work. .
what, you mean like Rick Owens?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics