Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Senior member

list of greatest 20th century thinkers:

wittgenstein
    einstein
    heidegger
    jobs

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Not all designers need be avant-garde. Have you looked at any of those designers' collections? West's collection lacks any sort of cohesion (unless attaching unseasonal fur to everything counts as cohesion). Of course, this is under the view that a collection is more of a story than a grouping of clothes designed within a certain period, I'm a romantic like that

3. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

He was a leader in the home computing revolution, he had a major hand in Pixar. He definitely markedly changed the the world of technology; and the way people look at and use computers and hand-held devices at least twice.

He did change the world in a way. He obviously didn't change the world with the impact of say, Gandhi, or (take your pick) but you can't argue that he didn't have a major impact and contribute to the pc revolution, and the way the world uses computers and phones, etc.

4. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

The Alexander McQueen women's SS12 stuff is insane.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

what do you mean he didnt change the world? i dont use and dislike apple products, but it's difficult to deny that they were game changing. certainly made a big impact on the design, concept, user interface of devices in each of their industries

if that and the films he help develop at pixar isn't world changing, i guess i dont know what world changing means

do you have to be a jesus christ to change the world?

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

pixar? pixar was world changing?

he was a 'leader' in the home computer revolution in the sense that he was an intelligent businessman at the right time and the right place who knew how to package and sell a product. he's important sure, and he's a key figure within a specific industry, but is one of the most important figures of the past 50 years? definitely not.

for me there's two types of a great people - there's someone like.. darwin or einstein, who developed a radically new understanding of the world that forever altered the way we think, and then there's someone like jobs (or gates) who is moreso a product of his time and circumstances. was he important? yes. did he have a huge impact on the world? sure. but would the personal computing revolution have happened without him? assuredly.

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

^he was actually a horrible business man if you know anything about him which it doesn't sound like you do teger, if it wasn't for him you probably wouldn't be typing on a pc right now either

I smell a fucking idiot, the man just died of cancer at 55 have some sympathy.

8. thatguymj

thatguymj Senior member

Of course Jobs changed the world. Love him or hate him, he did. Home computing, Ipod, Pixar were/are all game changers. End of story.

(this coming from someone who isn't an 'apple guy' at all. )

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

apple products were game changing in very specific industries and in vary specific ways. without the iphone we'd still have cell phones, without pixar there'd still be CGI movies (and honestly, what percentage of the world has seen a pixar movie?).

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

i'm sorry, i don't see it. steve jobs didn't invent the computer, and the growth of personal computing would have happened without him. he influenced the shape that growth took, sure, but pretending that without him our world be an entirely different place is ridiculous. it's sad he died, and i don't know what apple's future is without him (still pretty good probably), and seriously... pixar? what influence has pixar had on your life?

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yes, I wouldn't have commented if i hadn't seen the collections. Some are more derivative than others. And i agree that not all designers need to be avant-garde or even do anything knew. I own a fair but of Simon spurr and love it. Michael Bastian is a pretty unimaginative designer but i would still wear his stuff for the general quality (at least earlier seasons). Phillip lim is probably the worst of the lot but i'd still wear his shit.
    i do agree here and that was my immediate thought when i viewed it. Still doesn't mean some individual pieces wouldn't be nice, just that the collection as a whole wasn't particularly visionary.

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

Oh, come on. Darwin and Einstein may be household names, but I'm willing to be that 90+% of the world has no idea what either of theories mean. Sometimes I think you're stuck in your tiny world of philosophers, Teger, and then I realize you actually are.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

dude, you know that's a ridiculous argument. you judge someone's importance by how well known they are? by that standard michael jordan, michael jackson and kobe bryant are the most imporant people of the past hundred years.

everyone is right though - i can't imagine a world without pixar..

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i know you were being sarcastic, but a world without pixar would be a very different world. pixar is the biggest reason why the industry pushes cgi movies.

sure shakespeare didn't invent english literature and plays, but to deny that he had a huge impact or was world changing? why do you have to invent something totally original to be game changing?

you think hedi slimane invented the slim silhouette? you think kawakubo, balenciaga, and chanel invented completely new ideas?

wtf? all of pixar films are in the 50 highest grossing films of all time. it's as widely viewed as movies can be.

and why do you have to have invented cgi movies or have caused a radical understanding of the world to be world changing? what he did was radical world changing but it still had a huge impact on the world. look at any of the electronic products offered today and tell me you dont see influences of apple design. the new samsung 9 series? the dell xps series? the samsung phone? that's not world changing?

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

teger is just mad bc he's never been loved before that's why he's the sour fruit that he is

if you guys don't respond maybe he'll disappear since it's past his bedtime est

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.