• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
watch talk is dumb
frown.gif
anyway theres even a watch thread on sz. the consensus baller pick seems to the all black hublot big bang - very nice. im thinking of picking up an IWC pilot replica. or maybe save up for a sinn/flaco/flieger.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by melonadejello
Uhh, wouldn't aligning the waist and stretching it tight make it bigger?

Are you referring to my last comment about the translation into fitting a 30" waist?

Cause 34" aligned and taught will fit a 33" inch waist. 32" slouchy perhaps.

Not sure what you're getting at...

edit:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Depends on the rise, I'm a size 30 and sometimes have 34" measure waistbands for very low rise items. Also you probably don't want the waist to be skin tight.

I've never gotten a decent fit beyond 2" over, but I've never wanted to wear shorts that low. thanks for the comment though.

This is regarding some basic chino style shorts fwiw.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Can you get a brand new SMP for $2k today? Yeah 8 years ago it may have been able to but they retail for over $4k now. If you read carefully, I said a used SMP would be great for $2k. Find me a $2k brand new SMP and I'll snatch it up with quickness.

Good for you that it hasn't broken down, I personally do not think the hesalite crystal, it fogs up and aren't scratchproof so to me that isn't so great. Yeah you can come back with "that has never happened to mine so it is great" but I have seen it happen to a lot of other people and I am simply not a fan. These days the SMP comes with a sapphire crystal which is a good addition.

dude, just to be clear:
when I say SMP i'm referring to the the seamaster professional.
yes, you can get a brand new SMP for under 2k today, it most certainly does not sell "for over 4k".
the seamasters have had sapphire crystals for as long as recent memory serves. well over 8 years.
"good for you that it hasn't broken down" - hold up, this is one of the same movements that you referred to as "great". my personal opinion aside, am I to infer that this isn't a "great" watch by your standards, even though it contains a "great" movement?

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
Are you referring to my last comment about the translation into fitting a 30" waist? Cause 34" aligned and taught will fit a 33" inch waist. 32" slouchy perhaps. Not sure what you're getting at...
No I just don't understand measuring it aligned. It sounds to me like you're saying an aligned measurement would be smaller than one not aligned but it seems to me that if you straighten the waistband out it would make the corners farther apart making the measurement larger
puzzled.gif
I'm a 29 and usually go for about 15.25" straight across laying naturally. But yeah, I at least agree their measurements sound kinda big

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
watch talk is dumb
frown.gif

anyway theres even a watch thread on sz. the consensus baller pick seems to the all black hublot big bang - very nice. im thinking of picking up an IWC pilot replica. or maybe save up for a sinn/flaco/flieger.

agreed. I just have issues with people saying things that aren't true. will stop now.
don't get a replica, you'll still want the real thing and will resent yourself for not saving for it.
save up for a Sinn.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DLester made a comment recently that most cheaper pants make him look dumpy. It got me thinking about how improvements in pant cuts and patterns that come with mid-to-high-end brands. Or, more to the point, ARE there generally improvements in pant cuts and patterns as you move up the designer ladder?

I think taller or rather thin people probably have more margin for error when it comes to this area. But what do the average or below average height folks here think about that? Does the chance for unflattering cuts decrease with the more prestigious designers?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by melonadejello
No I just don't understand measuring it aligned.
It sounds to me like you're saying an aligned measurement would be smaller than one not aligned but it seems to me that if you straighten the waistband out it would make the corners farther apart making the measurement larger
puzzled.gif

I'm a 29 and usually go for about 15.25" straight across laying naturally.

But yeah, I at least agree their measurements sound kinda big

I wasn't saying that at all. That would be dumb. Thanks for the kind reading
smile.gif
(If you'd care to explain what I said that lead you to make that assumption, please do). Saying 'taut' is no different than saying 'laying completely flat' when the subject is denim or any non-stretch textile.

I'd be more curious as to how the rep gets two seperate measurements for front and back (and with the back being larger). now that is a puzzle indeed.

further thought on the topic: There's no point in measuring the waist if not aligned just like there's no point measuring the chest of a shirt from side seam to side seam. Doubling either yields no useful measurement. Sadly, just as the term 'true size' is used to denote many different things, there will probably never be much conformity for method of measurement either.

As to having a predilection for accuracy and a preference for measurements taken laying naturally (i.e. mellon's I have a 29 inch waist and prefer shorts to measure 15.25" across laying naturally), those two things seem inconsistent. Different cuts yield different curves when laying naturally, not to mention how the fabric reforms with wear. I imagine this concept is too abstract for some here just as my observation about the multible waist measurements when measured 'taut'.

As to things being difficult to align, I've never found this to be a problem. I'd be interested to hearing more on this.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what others have to say about it. There's a lot of talk about "quality" when it comes to mall brand versus high-end clothing. You hear a lot about how the shirt fits compare, but very little about the pants. And unlike shirts, that can be salvaged with tailoring, there's not much you can do with a badly cut pair of pants.

I don't think it's all due to cheaper clothes being made to fit the typical American, either. I've briefly owned pants that just fit strangely; not necessarily loose, but just looked odd.

Doctor Quack

Reaction score
They probably don't see profit in doing so. Besides, it's not like the unwashed masses know or care if something fits poorly.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can sort of salvage pants with tailoring depending on what the material is. tapering, letting out/taking in crotch (1/2 inch), waist (generally up to 2 inches), and hemming are all very easy. pleats can even be removed. even more major pants surgeries are possible with a good tailor. none of this guarantees you will be happy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads