• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Honey Aspen RLH with medium brown midsole. Going a bit more casual with the look since that's how I wear them anyway.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inside three weeks from the time they got the shoes back. I forget right now when I mailed them. Pretty quick overall. I got the premium refurb, so I'm interested to see how the uppers come back. Technically they are supposed to have replaced the plug even I believe. Photos coming once I have them in hand of course

Neuromancer8

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the game here. Cool shoes! I agree with the others about preferring the top model.

I was just putting together an olive cxl Ranger Moc myself, inspired by these photos from someone's ebay ad: olive cxl Ranger Mocs

The color on these ebay shoes is pretty dark, and they have the black RLH sole. The Rancourt design-your-own tool makes the olive cxl look fairly green. I remember the discussion here a month or two ago about the variation in dark olive cxl (I think @tifosi had some olive loafers that were more on the green end, for example). I'm wondering how the honey RLH sole would look (compared to black RLH) if the leather is fairly dark. What do you guys think?

If this helps, here's a picture of my dark olive CXL Clymers that I just received from Rancourt last week in more natural light. At first I thought they might have made a mistake and given me brown CXL, but mine have a greenish tint, whereas most of the brown CXL I see has a reddish tint. But I have to emphasize - mine are fairly dark. The shoes next to them are natty CXL, for reference.

Also, I have this pair of Quoddy chukkas I bought from Leffot for reference (image stolen from Leffot website). The crepe sole is a bright yellow vs. the honey sole you are contemplating, but it should give you a better idea of the contrast between a darker brown and brighter sole.

seasquirrel

Reaction score

If this helps, here's a picture of my dark olive CXL Clymers that I just received from Rancourt last week in more natural light. At first I thought they might have made a mistake and given me brown CXL, but mine have a greenish tint, whereas most of the brown CXL I see has a reddish tint. But I have to emphasize - mine are fairly dark. The shoes next to them are natty CXL, for reference.
Also, I have this pair of Quoddy chukkas I bought from Leffot for reference (image stolen from Leffot website). The crepe sole is a bright yellow vs. the honey sole you are contemplating, but it should give you a better idea of the contrast between a darker brown and brighter sole.
Super helpful x2! Thanks for the pictures. That helps a lot.

rawrz

Reaction score

Definitely worth the wait.
Next go around I will nee to order my right shoe half a size smaller than the left!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Definitely worth the wait.
Next go around I will nee to order my right shoe half a size smaller than the left!

Clymer Ranger Mocs? Look great!

I'd really never have thought I'd be a fan of the white wedge sole, but now here I am. I own it, I like these, and I can see it in my future.

BTW, refurbished beefrolls are in hand. They look practically brand new. Can tell they are mine though because of a few details of the wear. And the fit has snugged up nicely (is that a word? "snugged?").

Photos later today.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are the photos of the refurbished beefrolls (#8 shell, converted from leather sole to Aspen RLH):

They are about two and a half years old.

southbound35

Reaction score

Here you go:
Got an email day before yesterday that Rancourt has shipped these to Massdrop, who should be shipping to the end-users straight away once they receive and process them. As an aside, they did get to the $250 price. Looking forward. Bought my first Rancourt's (natural shell venetian) during BB's last corporate sale and love them. This will be my first foray into the world of CXL.

Last edited:

larrywright

Reaction score
I need a little advice from people who know Rancourt and their products well (I've emailed them, but I wanted the perspective of the folks here as well).

I broke my foot late last year, and although it's healed (after two surgeries and many hours of physical therapy), it's not quite the same shape it was before. It's my right foot, and I have a bit of a bump towards the top of my foot, over the arch. It's not massive, but looks sort of like a "goose egg" when you bump your head. The surgeon said that while it might go down in size about 10%, it's a permanent addition.

This makes shoes a bit challenging. I'm not able to wear all the shoes in my inventory now, as some are just too narrow to accommodate the bump. There are some D width shoes that fit fine, and I've got a pair of AE shoes in E width that are more comfortable on the right foot, but a little loose on the left.

On top of this, the doctor has advised me not to wear shoes with very flexible soles. He encouraged me to wear something more rigid, like a leather sole. That's fine for my work shoes and for boots and things during the cooler months, but I'd rather not wear leather soles during the summer with shorts.

So, I'm looking at getting a pair of Rancourt shoes, and looking at something like the Ranger Moc. My thought was to go with Chromexcel because it's stretchier and would help accommodate the bump on my foot. I'm wondering about sole options though. I like the look of the RLH soles, and I've heard they're quite comfortable, but I am not sure how flexible they are.

I'm hoping someone here can weigh in on whether this is a good choice for the sole, or if I should look at something else (tempest or montello maybe?). Also is my thinking on the choice of Chromexcel sound? I know that shell doesn't stretch well, so it wouldn't likely be a good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads