• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Luscombe

Reaction score
I'm missing where you posted these, do you mind reposting a pic?

I was curious about the Virginia leather a couple years ago and bought some scrap hide from Rancourt. It's super thick; I ended up making a hanging document sleeve that I still use:

View attachment 1510579
Sure, Here you go. These are arrival pictures and then after some sun bathing :) I really like the heft of the leather. I hope the color will continue to patina into a nice caramel.

In the top down photo, the shoe on the right looks shorter to me. It is even stamped 10 while the other shoe is stamped 10.5. I sent them back and Scott said they were the same size. Others have posted here that there seems to be lots of inconsistencies between the shoe makers at Rancourt. Some seem to sew them loose on the last and others more tight. I have several pairs in the same size and they all fit differently. As a result, even though I like the slip on styles I will never order a pair from them.

Attachments

• 20200727_202905.jpg
    20200727_202905.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200727_202932.jpg
    20200727_202932.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 92
  • DE & Acadia New 1.jpg
    DE & Acadia New 1.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DE 4 wks 1.jpg
    DE 4 wks 1.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 90
  • DE 4wks 6.jpg
    DE 4wks 6.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DE New 1.jpg
    DE New 1.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 84
  • DE New 2.jpg
    DE New 2.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DE New 3.jpg
    DE New 3.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 86
  • DE New 6.jpg
    DE New 6.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 75

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are posting pictures More pictures of the Essex from yesterday.

and yea. It seems like a combination of different shoemakers over there lasting differently in addition to different leathers lasting differently. So it creates a fair range of variance which has been no problem for me except when it comes to loafers.

E16A2976-D039-427C-A12F-44588D3DA6C7.jpeg A590DA37-76B8-4086-8B16-52205AF638A1.jpeg BFE2733D-9440-431C-85A3-E76E769D216B.jpeg FB3372A7-3C5E-48EC-840D-77E9C3D7CE68.jpeg 2B8AB636-0307-4009-9DCB-BDA2AF562824.jpeg E18D027D-D695-43CC-AF96-0A19EBD22FB0.jpeg EFDD402A-A8A3-491D-9C4C-540C93CD3BFB.jpeg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the Byron boots from yesterday. Before I swapped the laces. Thinking of throwing some leather laces on these. The eyelets are large enough. The boots seem to have less instep room than my Grant Stone and Alden boots. Probably would pair better with thinner socks.

AF83B8CF-5209-46A8-956A-85A27F6C6733.jpeg 40BA392C-74C7-40E3-913C-89B1FB3DD772.jpeg 7C5231A7-4D13-406E-AC4D-80E72F5FE158.jpeg 94FDA2D9-459D-48BC-8E5F-C328604C4171.jpeg 9BD92947-1AB1-4EE3-B079-2512B6FE3FAE.jpeg 80BAC413-3849-4218-ABE8-FB6ACC94865E.jpeg 4E98E246-6ADB-48ED-A3BA-CF69ECB47E41.jpeg

Luscombe

Reaction score
I have a pair of Essex in Black and love them. I don't wear them often enough. That Aspen sole is just sublime.

I saw this post the other day on Twitter about Brunswick Boots and fell in love. I sent a note to Scott today at Rancourt to see if these can be ordered directly from Rancourt since Huckberry doesn't offer narrow widths.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I like the way you think!
Care to share your selection and criteria?

I'll post a few collection pics once the Eastports come in but I have...

- Camp Mocs (Carolina Brown)
- Camp Mocs (Bulldog Tan - custom)
- Blucher Mocs (CXL)
- Beefroll Penny Loafers (Bulldog Tan - custom)
- Horsebit Loafers (Tan)
- Eastport Penny Loafers (Dark Brown)

Luscombe

Reaction score
I'll post a few collection pics once the Eastports come in but I have...

- Camp Mocs (Carolina Brown)
- Camp Mocs (Bulldog Tan - custom)
- Blucher Mocs (CXL)
- Beefroll Penny Loafers (Bulldog Tan - custom)
- Horsebit Loafers (Tan)
- Eastport Penny Loafers (Dark Brown)
Thanks for sharing. It is always interesting to see what other guys are wearing/buying.
I can't wear slip-ons especially hand made without trying them on first. Even the lace up Rancourts fit differently based upon different cobblers. That said, they all fit me well and I have very hard to fit feet. Rancourt and Whites are the pretty much the only shoes that fit me well. I have been wearing Rancourts for the last 3-4 years

I have a few pairs of Ranger mocs and Read Boat shoes

Clymer 2
Ranger Moc (Carolina Brown CXL, Natty CXL, Essex)
Downeast
Read Boat shoes Natty CXL
Acadia Chukka Bison

Some day I may get a pair in Kudu

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
And the Byron boots from yesterday. Before I swapped the laces. Thinking of throwing some leather laces on these. The eyelets are large enough. The boots seem to have less instep room than my Grant Stone and Alden boots. Probably would pair better with thinner socks.

View attachment 1510642 View attachment 1510643 View attachment 1510648 View attachment 1510644 View attachment 1510645 View attachment 1510646 View attachment 1510647
Awesome boots. I almost ordered these, but I went with Carolina Brown instead. My brown Red Wings are pretty beat up and I felt brown boots are a bit more versatile.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day wearing the Baxter ranger mocs in Essex today.

the comments made about the LH soles were right. These are very very bouncy. I felt like I was walking on jello at first, but I’ve gotten used to it.

provably will take me a while to darken these up, but they look great brand new too.

165AA13E-A1B8-47FC-887F-403615E9D074.jpeg

I also swapped the Byron boots to leather laces. I feel they look better now, but I’d like to get the same brown leather laces Rancourt uses on the flint kudu ranger mocs. Will have to see if they’ll sell me a few pairs that are long enough.

92BBBA44-67AE-4FFF-B40F-99D8BBE5AAF3.jpeg

hamercha

Reaction score
Since we are posting pictures More pictures of the Essex from yesterday.

and yea. It seems like a combination of different shoemakers over there lasting differently in addition to different leathers lasting differently. So it creates a fair range of variance which has been no problem for me except when it comes to loafers.

View attachment 1510625 View attachment 1510626 View attachment 1510627 View attachment 1510628 View attachment 1510629 View attachment 1510630 View attachment 1510631
Erikdayo,
How is it in terms of comfort?

Luscombe

Reaction score
First day wearing the Baxter ranger mocs in Essex today.

the comments made about the LH soles were right. These are very very bouncy. I felt like I was walking on jello at first, but I’ve gotten used to it.

provably will take me a while to darken these up, but they look great brand new too.

View attachment 1511347

I also swapped the Byron boots to leather laces. I feel they look better now, but I’d like to get the same brown leather laces Rancourt uses on the flint kudu ranger mocs. Will have to see if they’ll sell me a few pairs that are long enough.

View attachment 1511348
The RLH Aspen soles are the most comfortable IMHO. The RLH Crepe soles on my Downeast Mocs really bounce when walking.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I can't wear slip-ons especially hand made without trying them on first. Even the lace up Rancourts fit differently based upon different cobblers. That said, they all fit me well and I have very hard to fit feet. Rancourt and Whites are the pretty much the only shoes that fit me well. I have been wearing Rancourts for the last 3-4 years

Loafers/slip-ons are a tricky game, thankfully I haven't had an issue with Rancourt. Though the fits have varied model by model, I've found the leather stretches enough to conform to my foot quite well. I stretched out my Carolina Brown camp mocs to the point where I can fit orthotic insoles in them with thin socks or comfortably wear them with thick wool socks sans insoles. They were snug out of the box. The bulldog tan is a little less pliable but still comfortable and offers enough give.

I've had back problems for over twenty years and most days it's a challenge to lace up a pair of shoes. Loafers are a back-saver for me; I've tweaked my back while tying my shoes more times than I care to admit. I'd love to wear my ranger mocs more often but it's not in the cards. At least they'll last a very, very long time.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Erikdayo,
How is it in terms of comfort?
I think Rancourt's handsewns are fantastic in terms of comfort. This Baxter Ranger-moc is no different. It might be a little warmer than some of the other ranger mocs due to being lined. The outsole I would say is more comfortable than a standard camp sole. I love the look of it too. As much as I love my regular flint kudu ranger mocs I definitely would consider custom ordering a pair with RLH soles or some sort of rubber half sole/full sole eventually. The leather midsole makes it all look better imo.

The RLH Aspen soles are the most comfortable IMHO. The RLH Crepe soles on my Downeast Mocs really bounce when walking.
I haven't tried the RLH crepe soles unfortunately. I was going to get some Sherman camp mocs but ended up canceling. I favor boots over handsewns so I've set my limitation on handsewns to 3 pairs for now. I definitely don't have much of anything bad to say about the RLH aspen sole. Just that there's a certain cushion and bounce to every step compared to what I'm used to. Any idea how the feel and durability compares to Rancourt's regular white crepe soles? I have a pair of Clymer 2.0s coming very soon.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I think Rancourt's handsewns are fantastic in terms of comfort. This Baxter Ranger-moc is no different. It might be a little warmer than some of the other ranger mocs due to being lined. The outsole I would say is more comfortable than a standard camp sole. I love the look of it too. As much as I love my regular flint kudu ranger mocs I definitely would consider custom ordering a pair with RLH soles or some sort of rubber half sole/full sole eventually. The leather midsole makes it all look better imo.

I haven't tried the RLH crepe soles unfortunately. I was going to get some Sherman camp mocs but ended up canceling. I favor boots over handsewns so I've set my limitation on handsewns to 3 pairs for now. I definitely don't have much of anything bad to say about the RLH aspen sole. Just that there's a certain cushion and bounce to every step compared to what I'm used to. Any idea how the feel and durability compares to Rancourt's regular white crepe soles? I have a pair of Clymer 2.0s coming very soon.
The Clymer 2's were my first Rancourt. They were the ones that sold me on the brand. My 2nd pair was the Baxter Ranger with the Aspen sole. I rank the comfort on those two as Baxter first and Clymer 2nd. The Baxter is sublime but slippery on smooth wet surfaces. The Clymer does not have as much bounce but has a cushion to it and is not slippery on wet surfaces. You will not be disappointed in your Clymers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads