• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

sao

Reaction score
could someone tell me if the Baxter Ranger-moc's are suitable for wet weather? I'm looking to wear them during winter, do they keep dry in puddles/slush?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of dark brown pinch pennies (Eastport), which will be my final Rancourt purchase for many years, though some pairs will be sent in for resoling. They should come in shortly after the holidays.

I discovered the brand four years ago and put together a list of their shoes I wanted and this is the final pair on that list. I've been supremely pleased with every pair I've ordered. They're one of my favorite brands out there.
As I'm sure you know, you won't be disappointed. The brown Eastport is an awesome makeup. I love the bulldog leather.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
As I'm sure you know, you won't be disappointed. The brown Eastport is an awesome makeup. I love the bulldog leather.

Your pics earlier in this thread helped sell me, not that I needed much nudging. I've worn AE Cavanughs for years but they just aren't comfortable enough, even after a cobbler stretched them.

I guess that is the only thing that might bring me back in is if they start offering oxblood colors similar to AE. For whatever reason I like oxblood quite a bit more than Color 8.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of dark brown pinch pennies (Eastport), which will be my final Rancourt purchase for many years, though some pairs will be sent in for resoling. They should come in shortly after the holidays.

I discovered the brand four years ago and put together a list of their shoes I wanted and this is the final pair on that list. I've been supremely pleased with every pair I've ordered. They're one of my favorite brands out there.
I like the way you think!
Care to share your selection and criteria?

BAK

Reaction score
could someone tell me if the Baxter Ranger-moc's are suitable for wet weather? I'm looking to wear them during winter, do they keep dry in puddles/slush?
It's not a wet weather shoe. Although I wouldn't hesitate to wear it in wet weather - the shoe won't suffer any damage from light to moderate rain, snow, etc, but it's not going to keep your feet dry if they get seriously wet in puddles and slush. The water will find its way inside if enough of it gets splashed above the midsole, and can also find its way through the handsewn seam if submerged.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 of my 3 new pairs arrived today. Not sure where the Clymer 2.0 is since I ordered it well before the boots, but I’m sure it’ll be nice when it arrives.

both pairs are exactly what I wanted. The Byron boot proportions I wouldn’t call my favorite, but the flint kudu suede makes up for it. Can’t wait for the Essex leather to see some sun.

there’s some less than ideal welt stitching on the boots, but I love both pairs. The stock laces are a little short when I’m wearing cushioned socks. They’re probably fine with thin socks, but I found a pair of Guarded Good flat waxed laces laying around they pairs well. I ordered a pair of chup socks today. May switch over to mainly those instead of cushioned boot socks if all goes well.

E6ED2B57-8ACB-42F4-9A97-1DC4F8F76D78.jpeg C855D279-7401-4591-82B6-175F99821A17.jpeg BF64F6F6-7430-4DD8-991F-DC0928F56558.jpeg B234FC9A-E457-4AAF-84CC-BB84681F8F87.jpeg

Luscombe

Reaction score
These are Downeast Natural, similar to the Essex natural. As they spend more time in the sun, they darken up. The darker photo is at 6 weeks. I am expecting a nice caramel color next summer.

Attachments

• Downeast & Acadia 10.5B.jpg
    Downeast & Acadia 10.5B.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200727_202905.jpg
    20200727_202905.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DE New 3.jpg
    DE New 3.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 50

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are Downeast Natural, similar to the Essex natural. As they spend more time in the sun, they darken up. The darker photo is at 6 weeks. I am expecting a nice caramel color next summer.
I do like the look of the leather on the Downeast a little more than Essex, but I didn't feel like custom ordering to make a Downeast with a LH sole. The slight texture on the virginia leather is appealing I appreciate the pics. Your pair looks fantastic.

Luscombe

Reaction score
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten the aspen sole or mini vibram sole instead of the crepe sole.

My Baxter's are the most comfortable shoe/sole I own. Only issue with them is they are slippery on wet smooth surfaces. I thought the crepe would be even more comfortable and be less slippery on wet surfaces.

I find the crepe soles to be bouncy, like almost too much crepe under the heel. I am still getting used to it. My next pair of Rancourts will have a mini vibram sole in honey color, love these shoes.

cs54

Reaction score
So I got my covid natural beefroll loafers and they are gorgeous. But sadly there’s pretty significant heel slip even with socks. Pretty sure I got the size wrong. Does anyone recall if exchanges or possible or out of the question? Haven’t asked rancourt as I feel bad. Can’t believe I’m gonna say this but I’m an E width guy and do naturally went w 9E, but should’ve gone with 9D or maybe 8.5E (my alden Barrie size) even though the length feels ok. It’s the width of the heel actually that seems a bit much.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my covid natural beefroll loafers and they are gorgeous. But sadly there’s pretty significant heel slip even with socks. Pretty sure I got the size wrong. Does anyone recall if exchanges or possible or out of the question? Haven’t asked rancourt as I feel bad. Can’t believe I’m gonna say this but I’m an E width guy and do naturally went w 9E, but should’ve gone with 9D or maybe 8.5E (my alden Barrie size) even though the length feels ok. It’s the width of the heel actually that seems a bit much.
They will exchange crowdfund orders from what they’ve told me. 8.5E would be very snug in the toes, but since there’s no structured toe it’s fine. I go 1/2 size down personally for all my Rancourt footwear.

I would also note that their lasting is not very consistent. I got color 8 CXL beefrolls maybe 9 months ago and they fit perfectly. I tried a natural CXL pair a few months back, and they were very loose in the instep. Unwearable for me. Overall I’ve tried 7-8 pairs of loafers from Rancourt. I’m no expert on shoemaking, but I think some of their employees last their shoes quite snug and others do not. Only 2 of the pairs fit me. One of those two pairs eventually started feeling a little loose. But alas I have low volume feet so this isn’t entirely their fault. Haven’t had any issues with their camp mocs, boat shoes, ranger mocs, and now Byron boots.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten the aspen sole or mini vibram sole instead of the crepe sole.

My Baxter's are the most comfortable shoe/sole I own. Only issue with them is they are slippery on wet smooth surfaces. I thought the crepe would be even more comfortable and be less slippery on wet surfaces.

I find the crepe soles to be bouncy, like almost too much crepe under the heel. I am still getting used to it. My next pair of Rancourts will have a mini vibram sole in honey color, love these shoes.
I find that the RLH soles firm up after several months. It's as if they aren't fully cured at first, but I don't know what the explanation is. Just an observation based on my experience.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I find that the RLH soles firm up after several months. It's as if they aren't fully cured at first, but I don't know what the explanation is. Just an observation based on my experience.
They are in my rotation and I hope they get firmer. The crepe sole is used on quite a few offerings so they must perform well. I really do like the thickness and feel of the Virginia leather. These are very substantial shoes, almost like boots, especially when compared to the same shoe in a natty CXL. Those feel paper thin in comparison.
Thanks for the encouragement!

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do like the thickness and feel of the Virginia leather. These are very substantial shoes, almost like boots, especially when compared to the same shoe in a natty CXL.
I'm missing where you posted these, do you mind reposting a pic?

I was curious about the Virginia leather a couple years ago and bought some scrap hide from Rancourt. It's super thick; I ended up making a hanging document sleeve that I still use:

IMG_20181228_145505-1.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Byron boots in flint kudu today. Brand new and ready for rain and snow today.

Glad I have a month or two to think about whether to get the camel kudu version in the next crowdfunding.

Edit: added another picture to compare Grant Stone and Rancourt cap toe boots.

CB1AED87-1BA1-4093-BF51-896536304307.jpeg 17CAE9A6-33F3-4F3F-B0A5-4E3796C5E975.jpeg
B1D7A234-D7AE-43CB-BF49-53F9DF13090B.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads