• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure we did discuss this elsewhere, I'm usually quite active on reddit. Those Blake boots look very nice.

I'm not sure Rancourt really wants to increase their business that intensely, as they already contract so much of the handsewns in the U.S that I think they're approaching capacity. On the other hand, OSB doesn't seem to own their own production (of at least their handsewns, although I've heard conflicting reports). In my mind, OSB certainly hasn't justified their higher prices, especially compared to Rancourt, whom I feel is more comparable in terms of design and quality.
I totally disagree with this. There has been a huge push by Rancourt into the consumer market. Look at the visibility through social media, trade shows, pop-up markets, etc. They also went through considerable time and expense to built out that custom online portal. if they were not interested in additional brand awareness and business they would not be doing any of that. there is a clear transition to build a brand and not be only a third party manufacturing solution.

anrobit

Reaction score
I totally disagree with this. There has been a huge push by Rancourt into the consumer market. Look at the visibility through social media, trade shows, pop-up markets, etc. They also went through considerable time and expense to built out that custom online portal. if they were not interested in additional brand awareness and business they would not be doing any of that. there is a clear transition to build a brand and not be only a third party manufacturing solution.
Perhaps I wasn't that clear. They want to expand their own brand, but they are desperately looking for more handsewers.

In any case, I think the most important things they could do is continue to increase their social media presence and actually get some decent photos on their website.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And it's funny that as great a tool as the MTO module is, the depiction of the shoe you are building is pretty awful. Not sure it's reasonable to expect anything more, but I can image be a little hard to really see what the shoe you are creating is going to look like.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Teaser picture of upcoming Rancourt coverage from Capsule..

aphelan

Reaction score
Should I be using anything to treat the wood on my natural soles? Trekking in the snow has definitely dinged them up a bit.

cathpah

Reaction score
Should I be using anything to treat the wood on my natural soles? Trekking in the snow has definitely dinged them up a bit.
That's not wood, it's stacked leather. You can use edge dressing to re-dye and (in the case of natural edges) re-seal them. I use the edge dressing by Allen Edmonds, and it works great.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Teaser picture of upcoming Rancourt coverage from Capsule..

[/spoiler{
Those look familiar.
1f604.png
Glad to see I'm right on the curve.

Will look forward to your report.

That's not wood, it's stacked leather.  You can use edge dressing to re-dye and (in the case of natural edges) re-seal them.  I use the edge dressing by Allen Edmonds, and it works great.

Same here. It does wonders.

I've also applied some Montana pitch blend as edge dressing but I think the AE stuff made for the purpose gives a more satisfactory result.

anrobit

Reaction score
That is hilarious. Thanks for that resource by the way!
Speaking of the OSB trench line, I have confirmed that they're in New York somewhere, but I'm still trying to find out where. It's in the pipeline. I have other questions concerning OSB that I'm trying to clear up too, but we'll see how that goes.

fitchottie

Reaction score

Lol I wrote that thread, a_robot_with_dreams is me.

I forget the name but it begins with a p... Sorry I am not help if you ask tony at independence he will tell ya... If I remember they have a website and there prices were basically the same.

GooseG

Reaction score

Speaking of the OSB trench line, I have confirmed that they're in New York somewhere, but I'm still trying to find out where. It's in the pipeline. I have other questions concerning OSB that I'm trying to clear up too, but we'll see how that goes.

Like who or what is responsible for their clicking/hide selection? Lol

dannyh

Reaction score
I'd rate Quoddy slightly lower, and they also have a bit of a difference when it comes to design.

I would definitely disagree with you here. I've purchased two pairs of custom Quoddys and the quality seems exactly on par with the other MiM handsewns. All the designs are slightly different between the manufacturers but nothing about my Quoddys would suggest lower quality. In fact I've noticed more loose threads on my OSBs and brand new Rancourts than on my Quoddys (none so far). I'd also rate Quoddy the highest in comfort (although all are quite comfortable). Just my personal experience.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to Rancourt customer service.

I received a pair of Ranger Moccs back in August and broke one of the rawhide laces on them a couple of mornings ago. The good folks at Rancourt have already sent me out a replacement pair. It's little things like this that remind me that paying a bit more for my shoes is worth it in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads