• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

LgFriess

Reaction score
My custom made boots arrived last night. Great buying experience with Rancourt. I spent a ton of time looking for my first pair of high end boots and happened across Eastland's Monroe boots. I loved the style but wasn't so sure of the quality of Eastland. With a little looking around I found that their Made in Maine line is actually made by Rancourt. Well, I thought if Rancourt made them, I wanted the Rancourt name on them. A few emails later (customer service was top notch, all my emails were answered within a day by Kyle or Katie Rancourt) and my boots were being made. Twenty dollars cheaper then the Eastland branded boots. Of course with custom made there are no returns, so you need to say a little prayer the size is right. Mine are spot on. Normally I'm a 11D in my Allen Edmond Cliftons and Fifth Street dress boots, my cheap boots are an 11. Rancourt suggested I go with a 11.5 and it is a very good fit with mid thickness socks.

I went with black leather, montello mini lug, antique brass eyelets, leather strings, perf cap toe. I was told they just had the factory make them just like the Monroe with my few modifications. I think the only difference between the Monroe and the Blake boot on Rancourt's site is the perforated cap toe, the top two hooks instead of eyelets, and the triple stitching instead of double along the upper and heel.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow those are beauties. Did you go with black CXL then?

I like the contrasting edge trim too. Sort of the reverse of the black midsole with natty CXL we just saw.

Enjoy!

pwkd

Reaction score
I have to admit I still look at your suede Blake pics at least once a week. So damn cool. My calico ones are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I'm happy to provide pictures if anyone is interested. Hell, I might just do it anyway.

I do the exact same thing! Frank - yours are incredible and the reason why I want a pair. Tall - get some pics up when you can.

Should have those on again soon and will post more photos.

Please do post some pictures of the calico suede, of course. The thread demands it. Feed the thread.

fistbump.gif

Would really like to see how they look now.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow those are beauties. Did you go with black CXL then?

I like the contrasting edge trim too. Sort of the reverse of the black midsole with natty CXL we just saw.

Enjoy!

Thanks Frank.  Yep, they are CXL.
So sweet. I really want to pull the trigger on custom navy shells. I have green and russet Monroes already and they are great boots. Thanks for posting!

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear of thes guys. The RLH sole is interesting. Definitely a little squishy as some have said. Higher than I had imagined and really grippy on everything but black ice. Love the leather - these are gonna be go-to shoes especially as spring arrives.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny, seems like the batches of new shoes on this thread come in bunches. So here are mine.

I finally had to have a pair in the bison hide, which I think turns out to be pretty fantastic. Very thick, unlined, and with a really fantastic, unique texture. I like grained leather and this may well be the ne plus ultra version for a casual handsewn boot. You can let me know what you think. This is the stock boot from the site in what Rancourt calls chocolate Tucson bison. Note that it's a slightly update design from the standard 5-eylet version.

This photo is to try to give a very good look at the texture of the leather.

Last edited:

dannyh

Reaction score
Tall - get some pics up when you can.

Hey all,

I decided to change my username to something a little more personal and, to be honest, my old one seemed a little white supremacist-y to me. Can't have that.

My Blakes arrived yesterday as scheduled and I am thrilled with them! The timeline went something like this: Jan 3 order placed, Jan 8 Katie emailed for some clarifications and they got started on my boots, Jan 21 order shipped, Jan 24 they were on my feet by the afternoon. That is VERY fast in my opinion, and both Kyle and Katie were quick with responses to my questions. Consider this post another tally in favor of Rancourt's CS. I believe they were on vacation until Katie sent me that email, but Kyle still maintained communication during the break.

I went with the following specs:
Blake Boot - Khaki Calico, Unlined, Antique Brass Eyelets, Brown Laces, Black Vibram 232 Minilug Sole w/Natural Midsole: 12D. No toe cap.

@FrankCowperwood and @Bakes11771 helped me with sizing, as did anyone in this entire thread who gave his own experience. Thanks a lot guys. Offering my own now, Blakes run TTS for Brannock. 12D is 12D.

I don't have time for a lengthy review right now, but I am thrilled with my boots. The construction is very solid and the stitching is clean. If I'm being very critical, there is a small dark spot on one of the toes but I feel that will be even less noticeable with a couple swipes from the suede brush. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate. I also have experience with handsewns from Quoddy, OSB, and Yuketen.

Anyway, here are the pictures! Sorry if this is too many for the page, I haven't learned the spoiler tag yet. I asked my girlfriend to snap a "fit pic" and she got a little excited. There are probably a few more in my album, too. Have a nice day, fellas.

edit: meant to add this one of the sole!

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dannyh Great looking boots and very practical I think. Essentially three season. Probably not suited for really cold snowy/slushy weather, but otherwise good to go.

I like this color suede and have been tempted to get something in it. It seems as if it would develop a really nice suede "patina" (if I can make something up on the spur of them moment) as it gets some wear and dirt on it.

Enjoy.

GooseG

Reaction score

@dannyh Great looking boots and very practical I think. Essentially three season. Probably not suited for really cold snowy/slushy weather, but otherwise good to go.

I like this color suede and have been tempted to get something in it. It seems as if it would develop a really nice suede "patina" (if I can make something up on the spur of them moment) as it gets some wear and dirt on it.

Enjoy.

Seconded. I've been thinking about doing a similar suede blake makeup to those, although I'm not sure whether to go with Calico or Mohave.

Danny, how's that Vibram sole?

dannyh

Reaction score
Seconded. I've been thinking about doing a similar suede blake makeup to those, although I'm not sure whether to go with Calico or Mohave.

Danny, how's that Vibram sole?

You don't know how many times I clicked between Olive Mohave and Khaki Calico while I was designing these things. I'm guessing somewhere in the hundreds. If it helps you decide, the Khaki looks significantly less saturated in person than on the customizer app. It's got more of a desert/military tone to my eyes. My pictures are pretty awful in terms of lighting (overcast + cellphone + no photo skills), but the color is fairly accurate there.

Re: Vibram minilug - The sole has a much lower profile than I was expecting. They provide decent bounce and plenty of traction while keeping the boots nice and slim. I mentioned earlier that I planned on taking these on light hiking trips, but they seem like they'd look more at-home in a casual office setting than in the woods. I wouldn't say that's a downside, but I would've liked a little more heft. Seems like a lot of people are after the low profile Viberg/Dayton/service boot look, and the soles on these would probably work really well in that application. Very well balanced.

The true test will be over time, so I will update the thread with my expanded impressions as these break in and gain some character (read: indigo).

anrobit

Reaction score
You don't know how many times I clicked between Olive Mohave and Khaki Calico while I was designing these things. I'm guessing somewhere in the hundreds. If it helps you decide, the Khaki looks significantly less saturated in person than on the customizer app. It's got more of a desert/military tone to my eyes. My pictures are pretty awful in terms of lighting (overcast + cellphone + no photo skills), but the color is fairly accurate there.
I swear 90% of the reason more people are hyped about OSB over Rancourt is because of the differences in photography. Rancourt is the same product (save for some design differences) at a lower price.

dannyh

Reaction score
I swear 90% of the reason more people are hyped about OSB over Rancourt is because of the differences in photography. Rancourt is the same product (save for some design differences) at a lower price.

Can't argue with that. OSB and Independence have some of the best product shots of any comparable footwear.

Another thing is OSB is much more active with advertising and outreach. We've all probably talked to George Vlagos personally at some point. Rancourt has more of this "Buy our shoes or don't. Whatever." feeling to me, which honestly is kinda cool, too.

I don't feel OSB's higher prices justify their shoes over Quoddy or Rancourt in terms of quality or design, but their business structure probably necessitates it. I think I actually discussed this with you elsewhere, but the roughout and suede trenches were in the running before I landed on Rancourt, but I couldn't justify that price for something I couldn't customize at all. That is why Quoddy and even Rancourt will always win for me when they provide a (very) comparable product.

anrobit

Reaction score
Can't argue with that. OSB and Independence have some of the best product shots of any comparable footwear.

Another thing is OSB is much more active with advertising and outreach. We've all probably talked to George Vlagos personally at some point. Rancourt has more of this "Buy our shoes or don't. Whatever." feeling to me, which honestly is kinda cool, too.

I don't feel OSB's higher prices justify their shoes over Quoddy or Rancourt in terms of quality or design, but their business structure probably necessitates it. I think I actually discussed this with you elsewhere, but the roughout and suede trenches were in the running before I landed on Rancourt, but I couldn't justify that price for something I couldn't customize at all. That is why Quoddy and even Rancourt will always win for me when they provide a (very) comparable product.
I'm sure we did discuss this elsewhere, I'm usually quite active on reddit. Those Blake boots look very nice.

I'm not sure Rancourt really wants to increase their business that intensely, as they already contract so much of the handsewns in the U.S that I think they're approaching capacity. On the other hand, OSB doesn't seem to own their own production (of at least their handsewns, although I've heard conflicting reports). In my mind, OSB certainly hasn't justified their higher prices, especially compared to Rancourt, whom I feel is more comparable in terms of design and quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads