• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's supposed to be a $50 upcharge for MTO, and there is sometimes an upcharge for reltex soles also. It is unfortunate, but understandable. I think that the highly customized MTOs is one of their greatest value propositions, so I hope that they don't shy away from it. But, if they are staying plenty busy making shoes for BB, RL, ect, then I can understand why they might divide their attention.

Agree with you and Frank. Rancourt makes a great Boat shoe, but I would pass on it for $400.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the upcharge as my order did look like the following, which in fact is only one change from their $227 brown CXL boat shoe, which is the leather:

Unlined 2-eyelet boat shoe
Navy CXL
Tan thread
Dull nickel plated brass eyelets
Chestnut raw laces
White siped rubber outsole

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's supposed to be a $50 upcharge for MTO, and there is sometimes an upcharge for reltex soles also. It is unfortunate, but understandable. I think that the highly customized MTOs is one of their greatest value propositions, so I hope that they don't shy away from it. But, if they are staying plenty busy making shoes for BB, RL, ect, then I can understand why they might divide their attention.

Agree with you and Frank. Rancourt makes a great Boat shoe, but I would pass on it for $400.
I was actually surprised but thankful there was no $50 upcharge for my Cordovan Ranger Moc. The only modification I made was to order it fully lined and they quoted me a $35 fee.

I made this same modification to a CXL Clymer 2.0 and I had to pay $70.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the upcharge as my order did look like the following, which in fact is only one change from their $227 brown CXL boat shoe, which is the leather:

Unlined 2-eyelet boat shoe
Navy CXL
Tan thread
Dull nickel plated brass eyelets
Chestnut raw laces
White siped rubber outsole
That does seem sort of silly. Maybe you can discuss it with them? If you are a repeat customer, might not hurt to mention that as well.
I was actually surprised but thankful there was no $50 upcharge for my Cordovan Ranger Moc. The only modification I made was to order it fully lined and they quoted me a $35 fee.

I made this same modification to a CXL Clymer 2.0 and I had to pay $70.
No rhyme or reason there. My suspicion is that they wave the up charge on shell to keep them from getting too expensive. Like Espresso Blakes would be $725 vs $675 (at least when I bought them), Beefrolls $600 vs $550 (last time I checked)

That is one of their other greatest value propositions IMO. Shell, for a little bit less.

Good call on the full lining for the shell rangers. Did you do that to make them last longer? or was there another reason.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as I can understand, the $50 MTO fee is designed to discourage changes. Odd since they started out being so accommodating.

Green shell Ranger Mocs:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That does seem sort of silly. Maybe you can discuss it with them? If you are a repeat customer, might not hurt to mention that as well.
No rhyme or reason there. My suspicion is that they wave the up charge on shell to keep them from getting too expensive. Like Espresso Blakes would be $725 vs $675 (at least when I bought them), Beefrolls $600 vs $550 (last time I checked)

That is one of their other greatest value propositions IMO. Shell, for a little bit less.

Good call on the full lining for the shell rangers. Did you do that to make them last longer? or was there another reason.
I plan to wear them with socks, maybe no-show socks but socks.

I don't like wearing shoes without socks.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I can understand, the $50 MTO fee is designed to discourage changes. Odd since they started out being so accommodating.

Green shell Ranger Mocs:
So, you have a pair of Ranger Mocs in shell already, very nice.

I thought about the Green shell, but figured it best to go with #8 for my first pair of Ranger Moc shell shoes first.

hefner

Reaction score

That does seem sort of silly.  Maybe you can discuss it with them?  If you are a repeat customer, might not hurt to mention that as well.
No rhyme or reason there.  My suspicion is that they wave the up charge on shell to keep them from getting too expensive.  Like Espresso Blakes would be $725 vs $675 (at least when I bought them),  Beefrolls $600 vs $550 (last time I checked)

That is one of their other greatest value propositions IMO.  Shell, for a little bit less.

Good call on the full lining for the shell rangers.  Did you do that to make them last longer? or was there another reason.

Why do you think it is a good call? I think that there is probably a pretty good reason why the default on the shell rangers is unlined.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That does seem sort of silly.  Maybe you can discuss it with them?  If you are a repeat customer, might not hurt to mention that as well.
No rhyme or reason there.  
My suspicion is that they wave the up charge on shell to keep them from getting too expensive
.  Like Espresso Blakes would be $725 vs $675 (at least when I bought them),  Beefrolls $600 vs $550 (last time I checked)

That is one of their other greatest value propositions IMO.  Shell, for a little bit less.

Good call on the full lining for the shell rangers.  Did you do that to make them last longer? or was there another reason.

The apparent lack of upcharge on shell is interesting. I doubt the margin can be that much better on shell considering the cost of materials.

So, you have a pair of Ranger Mocs in shell already, very nice.

I thought about the Green shell, but figured it best to go with #8 for my first pair of Ranger Moc shell shoes first.

I like the green shell a lot, but so far it doesn't show the inclination to age the way #8 does. That's one reason I'd consider owning both. I like the prospect of the tempest sole on the #8s too.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been quoted prices on shell and cxl, and it does appear that there is no upcharge for shell when I've heard it. That said, I wouldn't advise getting lined shell as a MTO :) One of the great things about shell is how amazing it is unlined. IMHO, that's why something like the Wolverine 744 and 721s were so much better than, say, shell Indy boots. The lining takes away half the greatness of shell (as well as with CXL).

As far as my opinion on the upcharge, well, I'm not really a fan of it. It's fair that volume purchases should get much more attention, but remember they're not paying the same. If it's a standard margin, then a pair of $225 basic CXL boat shoes is probably sold to a buyer at $80-100 each, with several hundred pairs purchased. Rancourt gets the guarantee of the purchase, the buyer takes the burden of selling them and unsold inventory. So when Rancourt has this MTO option, they are getting the benefit of selling them directly, and getting that $125 markup to themselves. So, to say that they should get an extra $35-50 because of the extra effort is missing the fact that they are already getting that extra margin for themselves. That fact is even more important if its for a customization like baseball stitching or a different color CXL.

Right now, though, I wish that instead of a pair of Brown CXL rangers and a pair of #8 CXL boat shoes I'd just gotten 1 pair of #8 Shell rangers. C'est la vie though. Still have to decide whether my next pair will be shell rangers or shell penny loafers (probably the loafers, honestly).

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think it is a good call? I think that there is probably a pretty good reason why the default on the shell rangers is unlined.

Thought he was doing it to make them last longer. Not saying that lined shell lasts longer than unlined, but I thought it would make them retain their shape more.

Unlined is great too. What do you think that the reason is for the default no lining? I always assumed it was partially lined, but I don't own a pair, so perhaps you would know.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Plain-toe boots/shoes are always at least partially lined, because there is a piece of plastic in the toe that helps the toe hold shape. They would only be completely unlined if they were a unconstructed. So that piece of leather in there is to hold the plastic in place. Moc-toe shoes aren't partially lined, because they don't need anything to add toe structure, the stitching holds the toe shape.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads