• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Shirts

DandySF

Reaction score
I just noticed Ralph Lauren's Custom Fit shirt line at the Polo Mansion yesterday.  The body of the shirt is less baggy than other RL shirts I've had.  It closely approximates what I was trying to accomplish by ordering from Jantzen.  I picked one up and am pleased with the overall fit.  One quibble concerns the sleeve placket button hole; it's perpendicular to the length of the placket rather than parallel--a small sign of less precise (and costly) construction.  The other nit concerns the split yoke:  rather than the fabric being angled, it just lines up with the body of the shirt.  Otherwise these shirts are, for me, a quick and easy way to get a shirt without the uncertainty and wait of the custom channel.

raley

Reaction score
I thought that they would be the Jantzen alternative for me but then I took a closer look at the fit. The only size that even is close to fitting me is the small, but the problem is that the neck is probably somewhere between 14.5-15, whereas my neck is around 15.5-16.

I guess I am just too tall/skinny to find a good RTW shirt? I mean, the medium doesn't even come close to fitting me - it is super baggy. For reference I am 6'1" 160 lbs with 31" waist and 38" chest.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had mixed success with custom fit. The polo I got was a very slim fit, with short sleeves and a short tail, but the oxford I got didn't seem that much different that a normal RL baggy buttondown shirt.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that they would be the Jantzen alternative for me but then I took a closer look at the fit.  The only size that even is close to fitting me is the small, but the problem is that the neck is probably somewhere between 14.5-15, whereas my neck is around 15.5-16.  

I guess I am just too tall/skinny to find a good RTW shirt?  I mean, the medium doesn't even come close to fitting me - it is super baggy.  For reference I am 6'1" 160 lbs with 31" waist and 38" chest.
yes, you're gonna be a hard fit for RTW. 6'1" and 160 lbs at 38 and 31 is extremely different than the average american.

I'm 6' 1/2" and 185, 42-43 chest and 34-36 waist (depending on my conditioning), and I find almost all RTW shirts to be bulky, especially at the waist.

trogdor

Reaction score
yes -- I picked up one of the custom fit polos and it was pretty slim cut. Quite nice really, because I often find that most polos are too baggy for my taste.

My only quibble was that it was a bit short in the body (as dusty noted), but c'mon ... who tucks in a polo?

oldskool

Reaction score
True. Custom & RLPL polos are shorter to be worn untucked.. the way a 'polo' shirt should be worn. Being used to a traditional size however, it took some getting used to. Now I think my regular polos are gym shirts. The colors and fabrics of the shirts are much better also.

I think RL is concentrating more on the expensive sportswear as the wealthy baby boomers no doubt require this sort of thing. Neiman's has a whole table of RLPL sweat suits in Chicago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics