• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It has front darts, difficult to see, look at the herringbone scale changing and also look at the right side.
All the Newbury have front darts.

Thanks mate. I spent good 30 min try to see if it was darted. I still can't see the darts. The way model wearing this jacket makes it even harder to see whats going on the front.

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the general question but how is the quality of Rugby pieces and are their sport coats worth picking up?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I received my proxied items, I found the fit of the solid oxford in 15.5 really good.

Someone could compare the fit of the 15.5 rugby dress shirts to the 15.5 BB extra slim fit shirts?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry for the general question but how is the quality of Rugby pieces and are their sport coats worth picking up?

You sort of get what you pay for. The higher priced ones are usually half canvassed. Made in Italy coats are supposedly better, but I have a grey Made in Macau, that is pretty nice as well.

They will tell you if its lined, or not.

I'm pretty sure all the suits are half-canvassed at the least. There aren't any Made in USA suits anymore, but I own one of those and its pretty nice

Although I would always ask to confirm on the quality, just call thei CS and see if a product expert s in or not, sometimes they hide.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say BB Slim Fit is more in-line with Ralph Lauren Custom Fit.

Rugby is just a tad bit slimmer

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up their Herringbone silk lined Newbury jacket. RRP $398 I paid $256 including tax on their insider sale. Just received the jacket today….to be honest I am sort of disappointed at the quality. The fabric doesn’t look that good comparing to the picture on their website. The cut is some what ok. It seems they are a bit on the longer side. Mine said made in china (I thought on the website it said made in Italy) . Not worth the full price. Sorry this is probably not as bad ….I may have expected too much. Some of My PRL blazers (for UK/Europe market) are slimmer than rugby and better quality. But buying PRL form uk website is much more expensive than buying form us website. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. I am planning to buy a made in Italy suit form them to see if any better. If not then I will look else where.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up their Herringbone silk lined Newbury jacket. RRP $398 I paid $256 including tax on their insider sale. Just received the jacket today….to be honest I am sort of disappointed at the quality. The fabric doesn’t look that good comparing to the picture on their website. The cut is some what ok. It seems they are a bit on the longer side. Mine said made in china (I thought on the website it said made in Italy) . Not worth the full price. Sorry this is probably not as bad ….I may have expected too much. Some of My PRL blazers (for UK/Europe market) are slimmer than rugby and better quality. But buying PRL form uk website is much more expensive than buying form us website. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. I am planning to buy a made in Italy suit form them to see if any better. If not then I will look else where.

That one says Imported on the website. You sure you meant to order the silk-linen one, and not the Norfolk?

or maybe just confused the descriptions...

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was probably just confused. Actually I was expecting PRL quality form this jacket at a lower price point. Thinking of it now for under $250 probably not a bad purchase !!
PRL made in china and my rugby made in china PRL is noticeably better quality.
Just a question to the rugby experts.
Rugby made in china and made in Italy how would you compare (fabric, constructions , finish..)?
Rugby made in Italy jackets how do they compare with PRL jackets ?
Thanks in advance.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I was probably just confused. Actually I was expecting PRL quality form this jacket at a lower price point. Thinking of it now for under $250 probably not a bad purchase !!
PRL made in china and my rugby made in china PRL is noticeably better quality.
Just a question to the rugby experts.
Rugby made in china and made in Italy how would you compare (fabric, constructions , finish..)?
Rugby made in Italy jackets how do they compare with PRL jackets ?
Thanks in advance.

Honestly its tough to compare the Made in Italy ones - the fabric is nice on both - some of the Rugby stuff shares with the RLBL stuff since Caruso has been doing the suits since Feb 2011, left over fabric was used for some Rugby suits and others were completely exclusive for Rugby too. I would say Rugby is pretty much at the PRL level. I also think at times it exceeds it, but not always.

Rugby Made in China vs Made in Italy is a given - Italy trumps it by all standards.

Rugby Made in USA vs Italy - tough to say - you can tell which one is Made in Italy, but my personal preference can sometimes be more toward my Made in USA stuff.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone vouch for Rugby socks? 

I generally don't trust one-size fits all type socks.

nearly all my socks are Rugby socks. I'm a Size 10D in shoes - they all fit very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads