• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain and Trench Coat Style

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

I like those. Single breasted, shorter length. Good for light rain. I have one in tan and navy. But, as mentioned, they are not trench coats. I'd just call it a rain coat. Or a Mac. (purists will probably say it needs to be made by Macintosh in order to call it a "mac").

You could change the thread title to "Rain Coat Style". That would include trenches too.
Where did you get them? I've been looking for a navy one for ages!

Zabel

Reaction score
I remember seeing a beautifu single breasted navy raincoat on armoury's website.
I believe they were from grenfell.

Archivist

Reaction score

I am sort of missing your point here. :evolve:

The so called "looks" above are not bad but I wouldn't go for it. Do you really mean what do people think (I can't answer that) or did you mean what do you think (and I just told you that :) )

My point is, those are Trench coats. Those articles document the origin and history of the Trench coat. There is an unfortunate tendency among people who have no idea what they are talking about to call anything that buttons up a Trench coat.

This thread for example, asks opinions on "trench coats" that are not in any way remotely that.

Last edited:

stinsonbass

Reaction score

It's not a real trench coat unless it's double-breasted, hangs below the knee, and is made by Burberry or Aquascutum. The rest are wannabes.

Hmmm... really? :slapfight:

My point is, those are Trench coats. Those articles document the origin and history of the Trench coat. There is an unfortunate tendency among people who have no idea what they are talking about to call anything that buttons up a Trench coat.
This thread for example, asks opinions on "trench coats" that are not in any way remotely that.

I know that those are not trench coats and I think that it is clear to everyone now. I guess I was over-thinking the fact that you just wanted to show him some history :lurk:

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't really understand the point of short raincoats. They don't keep you dry (you're better off with a brolly if it's wet but still too warm to wear a full-length raincoat/trenchcoat), and aesthetically don't add much more than a regular jacket would. Is the appeal about having a layering option, perhaps?

stinsonbass

Reaction score

I don't really understand the point of short raincoats. They don't keep you dry (you're better off with a brolly if it's wet but still too warm to wear a full-length raincoat/trenchcoat), and aesthetically don't add much more than a regular jacket would. Is the appeal about having a layering option, perhaps?
I guess? Especially because one can wear a blazer and the raincoat on top. If I would wear a jacket like the one below then I could (in general) only wear a shirt/sweater. Or maybe I am wrong? It depends on what kind of jacket you mean as a substitute.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's so girls in short skirts can show some leg. On guys? Hell if I know. OTOH I don't really consider them rain coats. More like light weight outerwear. Just a different look then other jackets.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quote:

I like a shorter length for the light rain/heavy fog/mist we get here. For a short guy like me, I like the shorter length that hits just below the knee. (which for me only leaves a little leg exposed). Both for the look and the fact I can move around in it easier.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're good in places with minimal rain. Once there's real rain, short coats are just ineffective.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're good in places with minimal rain. Once there's real rain, short coats are just ineffective.

That's what I want it for. When we have heavy rain I wear my trench coat and still get funny looks :facepalm: (stupid mid-west :( )

But when it's sprinkling I want a lighter/smaller duty coat that won't look ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rojarnita