• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

Morgan

Reaction score
@ whatever123, I measure out as a 9D on a Brannock measuring device. I don't own any other Quoddys, but my understanding was that the ring boot was true to size so I ordered a 9D and they fit perfectly.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
@ whatever123, I measure out as a 9D on a Brannock measuring device. I don't own any other Quoddys, but my understanding was that the ring boot was true to size so I ordered a 9D and they fit perfectly.

cool. thank you!
fistbump.gif

nurktwin

Reaction score
Is it still possible to buy the Quoddy Maliseet in the older style without the reverse "baseball stitch" found on the toe that appears on the current model now on the Quoddy web site? See below for comparison with and without the reverse baseball stitch on toe.

maloxford.jpg

quoddy-maliseets.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
totally nurktwin

i just ordered another pair of maliseet's (brwn crmxl) and i confirmed with them before hand, but yes, you can.

but im with you man, for some reason i cant get behind the cross-stitch either.

expect a 2 month wait though. i guess they are totally swamped.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Will a D Maliseet width fit OK on a C width foot? Do these run true to size? If I'm a 10.5 do I need to size up or down?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
the back of the maliseet tends to be just a little bit wider than there other shoes, im my experience. for example, i am an 8.5D in quoddy's un-lined boat shoe. when i ordered my first pair of mailseet's i ordered the same size as my boat shoes, which seemed logical at the time. but when i got them they fit fine in the length, but my heel was actually sliding around quite a bit in the back of the shoe. and im a D width in all but a couple shoe makers. anyway, after a series of communications with quoddy, i was sent an 8.5C and the fit perfectly. so if you are normally a C width i most likely go with that. better yet, trace your foot and send it in to them. that way you can confirm the length too.

as far as sizing goes though, in my experience, i would order whatever dress shoe size you are (especially in the maliseet). if you are able to measure your foot, quoddy also has a sizing chart somewhere on their website to confirm your size. but if you have concerns with length and width i would have someone trace your foot just send it in. waiting 2 months for a pair of shoes is a drag man, especially if they dont fit and you have to wait even longer for the correct size.

ivan200000

Reaction score
Hi--

I've long been a fan of the LL Bean bluchers, and though Bean has gone back to the simple wedge sole, the leather seems too much like plastic to me. I just bought a pair of the Maliseets, and they've exceeded my expectations. For the past few months I'd been percolating over the Maliseets, but the pricetag gave me pause. Bumping around on the internet I found them on closeout for $160, and I made like a sledgehammer on the on the "buy now" button when I saw that they were the last pair left & they happened to be my size 12. These have the traditional stitching as opposed to the "baseball" style stitching as referenced above, and when I called Quoddy to ask why I'd been seeing the two different stitching styles, Elizabeth told me you can order the Maliseet with either/or.

As someone who has worn USA-made bluchers since the 1980s, the Maliseets offer virtually identical styling (I'm told that Quoddy used to make 'em for Bean) and the quality is so much better. The Maliseet has what appears to be a deerskin lining, and the vamps are constructed of thicker, more-supple leather than the Bean bluchers. The only thing I did was change the leather laces to the 2-tone workboot-style laces that the bluchers use.

I'm so happy with these that I'm about to put my @1968 pair of NOS Bean bluchers (with camp soles made by long-out-of-business Weron Rubber of Lawrence, Mass) up on eBay.

Many have complained about the lack of customer service & slow production. In this day & age, I'm happy to wait 6 or 8 months for a quality handmade shoe from a 4th generation family-run business in Maine. I just sent my ring boots back to Quoddy to have new crepe soles put on; I don't care how long it takes them.

Ivan

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Not boat shoes, but Quoddy Ring Boots in natural Chromepak. The leather is extremely thick and waxy. It was difficult to capture the peanut buttery color, but I think it comes through best in the close up of the seams. More photos here.

dyyJTl.jpg

T98IIl.jpg

QnL7Rl.jpg

J9VYxl.jpg

I just wonder how that sole would hold up walking around on modern surfaces. I'm sure if you walk on grass all day it's fine.

ivan200000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I just wonder how that sole would hold up walking around on modern surfaces. I'm sure if you walk on grass all day it's fine.

The wraparound soles actually hold up well on modern surfaces. I had a pair of these for about 6 months, but I wouldn't recommend them. They look great, but personally I found them uncomfortable; the leather uppers are far too stiff, and they were jabbing into my ankles even with thick socks on. Evidently the wraparound leather soles (I believe it's called chromepak) are only available in conjunction with the thick leather uppers. I sold them and bought another pair of ring boots with the much kinder chromexcel leather and camp soles, which are getting pretty worn & I'm having them replaced with the crepe soles.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Quick help with sizing

I am a size (US) 7 in Sperry AO, went the same size in Sebago and found they were a tad too big. And in Clarks Desert boots I am a 7US, Same wiht converse Jack Purcell and Chucks

For these: http://www.southwillard.com/collecti...bottom-blucher

Should I got for a size 7 or 6.5

Im not sure if I am just being paranoid because of the Sebagos being slightly large for me even though their soles measure the same as all my other shoes.

I have tried on a regular blucher once before and I think the size 7 felt similar to how my sebagos felt. Cant really remember and the store I tried them on at doesnt sell them anymroe so I cant retry them

kookydooky

Reaction score
Im still stuck lol. People are saying size down half but according to that in inches my foot measures a 7 (My usual shoe size that i get)

I just dont want them too be too big, mainly because my Sebago Docksides in the same usual size (7mUS) I get is a tad too big..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads