• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Nat Jag

Reaction score
They coped pretty well. I’m sure I had read suede is more resilient than people expect.

I’ve had that happen to heel stacks before, I tend to just cover it with brown wax polish.

Those chukka’s look nice, I will have to have a look at Bodileys. I was highly tempted by the cordovan Cardiff’s they have on sale but talked myself out of it.

Dark brown is probably more practical than the lighter snuff suede I would imagine.

I thought dark brown was the better option for a first pair. Although I wear them mainly during spring / summer, they work with lighter trousers / pants. As a second pair, I'd probably get a lighter snuff.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lindrick goodness
20190909_191130.jpg 20190909_191151.jpg

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, yours look better nourished :)
What are you applying on them ?

Actually I think that’s the problem. When I first got them I had heard C&J put a lot of cream on them, so I went after these hard with VSC on the vamp/toes and overdid it.....gave them a matte look I couldn’t fix. Over time a little saphir renovateur and saphir Brown cordovan creme gently applied has made them look slightly less bad. The toes still look noticeably dark compared to the quarters. I think the indirect morning light is a bit misleading.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding C&J suede and the Chilton or Chukka models.
Thanks

I own about 8-10 pairs of C&J suede shoes/boots and find the suede to be quite durable and resilient to water and other stuff spilled over the suede. Two years ago, I spilled a bit of petrol over my brand new Chukka in snuff suede and was surprised that the stain completely disappeared after applying baking powder for some days and using a vacuum cleaner afterwards to get rid of the powder.

Concerning the choice of colour: I personally like snuff suede better than dark brown but find dark brown to be much more versatile. Thus, I wear the latter more often the the former. But then, I also own blue, earth green and bottle green C&J suedes...

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own about 8-10 pairs of C&J suede shoes/boots and find the suede to be quite durable and resilient to water and other stuff spilled over the suede. Two years ago, I spilled a bit of petrol over my brand new Chukka in snuff suede and was surprised that the stain completely disappeared after applying baking powder for some days and using a vacuum cleaner afterwards to get rid of the powder.

Concerning the choice of colour: I personally like snuff suede better than dark brown but find dark brown to be much more versatile. Thus, I wear the latter more often the the former. But then, I also own blue, earth green and bottle green C&J suedes...

Good to hear regarding the resilience.

I do like the look of snuff suede better too but that doesn’t always add up to the better choice. Dark brown is a close second.

I like the earth too but feel I wouldn’t have much opportunity to wear green. Could be wrong.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do like the look of snuff suede better too but that doesn’t always add up to the better choice. Dark brown is a close second.

I like the earth too but feel I wouldn’t have much opportunity to wear green. Could be wrong.
I like green too, but only wear it with denim.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score

I exaggerate a bit in claiming that I can wear the earth green Chiltern in any combination that works with dark brown Chilterns but reality is close to this. The earth green is not very greenish (if that does make sense) but more grey-brown-green.
And then, if you already own more than 10 or 20 pairs of shoes/boots why would you need another pair of versatile shoes?

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this thread - where is the best online shop to buy C&J for US customers?
Edit: would prefer a US retailer since I may need to buy a couple of sizes and return

Last edited:

WilYa

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this thread - where is the best online shop to buy C&J for US customers?
Edit: would prefer a US retailer since I may need to buy a couple of sizes and return
Many international retailers offer free returns, for shoes you can check cavour

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ shouldn’t have slept on this one .. Great choice @stephenaf2003 ?

I’ll bet you’re gonna get another chance at a pair, and we will continue our quest to be the two who own all the boots...lol.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads