• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I just got dark brown cordovan Harvard’s in 10.E UK from Sky Valet here in DC. The 314 last fits very well so I feel safe ordering the black version from Ben Silver. The fully-lined Boston’s were too tight for me.

I really like the Harvard II on the 376 last. Do they ever use that last for anything other than suede? I have that pair and they fit amazingly well.

Are loafers hard to get right for everyone else?

BDC2690C-3C86-4BA2-89A2-42FB34492810.jpeg

unprocessed

Reaction score
Was hoping someone could give me sizing advice for the Hallam on the 348 last. How is the instep and overall fit? Only worn Allen Edmonds (Park Ave/5th Ave) and Cobber union (city last) and they’ve fit me well. On the other hand, I’ve had some issues with the fit of some wholecut shoes with more modern lasts.

If I fit an AE Park Ave in US 7D, should I be going for a 6.5E with the Hallam?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they were harder to fit for everyone since you don't have laces to sure up the fit.

Was hoping someone could give me sizing advice for the Hallam on the 348 last. How is the instep and overall fit? Only worn Allen Edmonds (Park Ave/5th Ave) and Cobber union (city last) and they’ve fit me well. On the other hand, I’ve had some issues with the fit of some wholecut shoes with more modern lasts.

If I fit an AE Park Ave in US 7D, should I be going for a 6.5E with the Hallam?

I have shoes in the 5 last for Allen Edmonds and have a pair of Drummonds (348 last) in UK 8.5E and they are a little too big. I never tried on the size down, but feel like that might have been the size to take.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I thought they were harder to fit for everyone since you don't have laces to sure up the fit.

I have shoes in the 5 last for Allen Edmonds and have a pair of Drummonds (348 last) in UK 8.5E and they are a little too big. I never tried on the size down, but feel like that might have been the size to take.

What size are you for Allen Edmonds?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’re correct. I was just surprised that even JM Weston’s loafers with multiple widths didn’t work for me. They were a bit pricey, though, maybe that was a good thing.

Last edited:

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Okay, so I just got dark brown cordovan Harvard’s in 10.E UK from Sky Valet here in DC. The 314 last fits very well so I feel safe ordering the black version from Ben Silver. The fully-lined Boston’s were too tight for me.

I really like the Harvard II on the 376 last. Do they ever use that last for anything other than suede? I have that pair and they fit amazingly well.

View attachment 1236429
Congrats. Those are beautiful. Post some real life pics when you get the chance!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recent loafer hunting expedition to NYC.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding C&J suede and the Chilton or Chukka models.

I have recently tried on a Tetbury in dark brown suede and found it really comfortable. Prior to this I had no real experience with this type of boot or quality suede.

I was very impressed but the elongated toe on the Tetbury isn’t to my taste so I have been looking at the Chiltern and Chukka as an option. I like the shape of the Chiltern more but I appreciate it will come down to which last suits me better.

I was wondering how durable C&J suede is? When looking at photos of used pairs they can often look a touch shabby? Are these just neglected examples or is this to be expected? I’m not averse to a bit of wear and tear.

Also wondered what people thought was more versatile between the snuff and dark brown suede? I like the colour of snuff better but there’s not much in it and I would probably opt for the more versatile option. They’d mostly be worn with chino’s and denim.

Thanks

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I have some suede chukka from bodileys made by C&J. They got completely submerged in water after getting caught in a storm, with a 3 mile walk. Walking in puddles completely covering the foot. They took a few days to dry, I think I may have used a hair dryer as it was the only pair of footwear I had. The suede is fine, better than usual leather. The only tell tale sign is around the edge of the soles. These are 20 months old.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some suede chukka from bodileys made by C&J. They got completely submerged in water after getting caught in a storm, with a 3 mile walk. Walking in puddles completely covering the foot. They took a few days to dry, I think I may have used a hair dryer as it was the only pair of footwear I had. The suede is fine, better than usual leather. The only tell tale sign is around the edge of the soles. These are 20 months old.

View attachment 1238017

View attachment 1238018

They coped pretty well. I’m sure I had read suede is more resilient than people expect.

I’ve had that happen to heel stacks before, I tend to just cover it with brown wax polish.

Those chukka’s look nice, I will have to have a look at Bodileys. I was highly tempted by the cordovan Cardiff’s they have on sale but talked myself out of it.

Dark brown is probably more practical than the lighter snuff suede I would imagine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics