• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am in the market for a winter boot. Someone recommended UGGS and I almost killed the person. I am on the northeast coast (US) and want some sturdy boot from C&J. One more thing to add is that I would like to wear the boot with my dress pants to work. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hot damn, it looks like you are expecting too much from a single pair of boots .. You can't have both I'm afraid, unless your work allows more casual wear ..

The only boot that could cover both of your request would be -out of every reasonable price range- a pair of Edward Green Galway boots on 82 last in Dark Oak with the Dainite sole .. You can beat the hell out of those, and still show up at work looking like you came across the corner ..

I have both the Islay and Coniston, but hardly any of those could be acceptable for even slightly formal work attire.

You may check the Skye III boot, though the Chestnut colour is one hell of a loud colour for Winter ..

Bleedblue

Reaction score
1) Islays: the wide last is great but no one ever mentions the (relatively) shallow instep! I have a lot of pressure right along the ridge where the tongue is stitched into the boot. While I’m slowly stretching it, the (unsecured, floppy) tongue on both boots is skewing to the right, exacerbating the issue. Can any decent cobbler stitch the tongue? Yes, a cobbler can stitch the tongue to the side; however, I believe it's bellowed so this might make it more complicated as the stitch would have to be higher...

2) Harvard’s: some slight puckering along the apron at purchase has created a diagonal crease along my toes. Forget the aesthetics - it catches me right in one of my toes. The cordovan doesn’t seem to be giving; with thick socks they’re wearable but by end of day I am well aware of the crease. I can’t help but think this is a mfc defect - back to C&J? Stretch by decent cobbler? The location of creasing is not manufacturing defect but just how your foot moves with the leather. Hard to understand the "diagonal crease" and a picture might better explain.

3) Chelsea 5: owned for 10 months, favorite pair of boots. Dainite is slightly separating from midsole at the toe. While I’ve worn them a decent amount, the wear count can’t possibly be over 30-35 in 11 months (city walking, not mountaineering). Back to C&J? Live with it? I suspect the only solution once there’s gapping is a resole...? Dainite can separate from the leather (in any brand of shoes) as the adhesive wears; however, the stitch should keep things in place so it's not going to fall off or anything. Do you wear them when it's rainy? Getting your sole wet may affect adhesion. I'd live with it as it's not worth a resole just because of that. This is normal wear and tear. Happens to my Alden, EG, C&J, etc.

Thanks for the replies!

The Islay tongue on mine at least is not bellowed, just completely loose. To the cobbler!!

I’ll post the Harvard pics later in the week... it’s hard to see now. Usually with creasing I just shrug and bear it. With this there was some original puckering by my big toe that turned into a weird diagonal roll. May just take them back and ask if there’s anything to be done.

Dainite advice - EXACTLY what I hoped to hear. The dainite is just lightly separating at the toe, and I do wear them in the rain often. The midsole at the toe is getting a little abraded but sounds like I can wait for a bit.

Thanks again!

John Wick

Reaction score
Hot damn, it looks like you are expecting too much from a single pair of boots .. You can't have both I'm afraid, unless your work allows more casual wear ..

The only boot that could cover both of your request would be -out of every reasonable price range- a pair of Edward Green Galway boots on 82 last in Dark Oak with the Dainite sole .. You can beat the hell out of those, and still show up at work looking like you came across the corner ..

I have both the Islay and Coniston, but hardly any of those could be acceptable for even slightly formal work attire.

You may check the Skye III boot, though the Chestnut colour is one hell of a loud colour for Winter ..
Actually, I can dress casual (jeans) or business casual. During bone chilling months, I think I'll be wearing jeans. We must dress up when we have guests or important meetings. Sorry to make the question so hot dang hot but thanks for the response.

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
I just signed up for a leatherfoot account a while ago, I dont think they sent me the code, can someone PM me the code?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coniston is a great boot but if you want a smart boot, the Tetbury should work well. It's a chukka though so if you're looking for a higher boot, the Northcote or Skye should work better.

I think the Tetburys and Northcotes are fine if you are looking for a chiseled toe boot, but some may not like it, like myself.

I’ll post the Harvard pics later in the week... it’s hard to see now. Usually with creasing I just shrug and bear it. With this there was some original puckering by my big toe that turned into a weird diagonal roll. May just take them back and ask if there’s anything to be done.

I have a diagonal crease on my Harvards also, but I blame it on the unlined shell. Don't think it's a defect.

View media item 2291794

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Islays: the wide last is great but no one ever mentions the (relatively) shallow instep! I have a lot of pressure right along the ridge where the tongue is stitched into the boot. While I’m slowly stretching it, the (unsecured, floppy) tongue on both boots is skewing to the right, exacerbating the issue. Can any decent cobbler stitch the tongue? Yes, a cobbler can stitch the tongue to the side; however, I believe it's bellowed so this might make it more complicated as the stitch would have to be higher...

2) Harvard’s: some slight puckering along the apron at purchase has created a diagonal crease along my toes. Forget the aesthetics - it catches me right in one of my toes. The cordovan doesn’t seem to be giving; with thick socks they’re wearable but by end of day I am well aware of the crease. I can’t help but think this is a mfc defect - back to C&J? Stretch by decent cobbler? The location of creasing is not manufacturing defect but just how your foot moves with the leather. Hard to understand the "diagonal crease" and a picture might better explain.

3) Chelsea 5: owned for 10 months, favorite pair of boots. Dainite is slightly separating from midsole at the toe. While I’ve worn them a decent amount, the wear count can’t possibly be over 30-35 in 11 months (city walking, not mountaineering). Back to C&J? Live with it? I suspect the only solution once there’s gapping is a resole...? Dainite can separate from the leather (in any brand of shoes) as the adhesive wears; however, the stitch should keep things in place so it's not going to fall off or anything. Do you wear them when it's rainy? Getting your sole wet may affect adhesion. I'd live with it as it's not worth a resole just because of that. This is normal wear and tear. Happens to my Alden, EG, C&J, etc.

Thanks for the replies!

The Islay tongue on mine at least is not bellowed, just completely loose. To the cobbler!!

Dainite advice - EXACTLY what I hoped to hear. The dainite is just lightly separating at the toe, and I do wear them in the rain often. The midsole at the toe is getting a little abraded but sounds like I can wait for a bit.

Thanks again!

@Bleedblue - I've had a tongue secured as @SuitedDx suggests. My cobbler simply attached the tongue at the top of the shaft (lateral side). That has worked well and is fairly unobtrusive.

Dd1101

Reaction score
My Bradfords got a nice refresh 1.5 years later.

18D7B161-1AD4-4286-80B1-19A9B5A4DF9F.jpeg

B0BB4AAD-70BB-4366-BA2E-218CA873E5DA.jpeg

0832F0D6-58F3-4508-A067-46C5B20613AC.jpeg

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
Question about Danite soles, read earlier on thread that Danite soles can peel away from the shoe if not stitched fully/properly to the welt (glue dries out?), so will boot like this below likely have its sole peel off over many wears since I see its just glued on? I don't understand why the maker can't just stitch, whats the advantage of not stitching.
DSC0128-3_1024x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads