Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TtownMD

TtownMD Distinguished Member

2. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Senior Member

I would assume that if both were made by C&J and are going for a similar price, then they will be of similar quality. So it’s just a matter of what you prefer. I own a pair of Westbourne shoes and they aren’t as red as they appear in this image. They are a lovely chestnut colour. I am so very happy with them. :)

3. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Senior Member

I don’t know what it is, but every time somebody mentions the Westbourne by Crockett & Jones, I get the urge to dig out my own pair that are carefully stored away in their delightful green box. Just to hold them and appreciate the fine shape and construction. :lookaround::D

Crockett-Westbourne-IMG_1972.JPG

4. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Tell me about it down here in S. Florida. Thankfully the AC makes boots ok hah

5. dr1248

dr1248 Senior Member

Seems like the Westbourne's is a must have. Thank you for the feedback mrjamescost and ttownMD.

6. jssdc

jssdc Senior Member

It really depends on the standards to which the cleverleys are made. The westbournes are benchgrade, so $530 I think is a fairly normal price. If the GC have closed-channel, bark-tanned soles and full liners then they're hand grade, and $530 is a great price. I had some (on reflection not well-substantiated) impression that GC were benchgrade-plus - so some of the finisheIng details but perhaps not the materials upgrades of Handgrade.

Fwiw if you like the Adelaide style of westbourne then also check out the Alfred Sargent Moore. AS doesn't have very many models and they're a lot harder to come by than Crocketts but they're definitely best value where they play.

7. UNOAIMX

UNOAIMX Well-Known Member

Hand grade Kingston Loafer in the wild
    1D99AB7F-9D87-482C-8DEE-BF6FCD60DCB0.jpeg

8. UNOAIMX

UNOAIMX Well-Known Member

I’m also motivated to dig out my peal &co westbournes on the 341 last and give them a good shine