• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got some Arrans in cavalry calf that I've had for a couple years.
Basically I don't do anything beyond wipe them down with a damp cloth and give them a bit of buffing
I may have conditioned them once.

They still look nearly pristine but the extent of my bad weather usage is walking across a parking lot in the rain.

According to C&J website
"Waxed-finished or waterproof leather uppers should be treated with dubbin or a ‘waxed leather cream’ to condition, soften and protect the leather. Usually there is no need to use a coloured polish on this type of leather as it is not supposed to have a high shine. "

Saturninus

Reaction score
I am about to do something very foolish, and I'd like to ask if anyone has some tips on how to do it in a less expensive way.

I have spent the last 2 months trying to talk myself out of buying a pair of Skye 2 cordovan boots, but I give up. The voices in my head won't stop arguing until I finally just get a pair.

I live in the US, but I've noticed that it is cheaper to buy from UK retailers after they remove the VAT. Problem is, I can't find any that carry the Skye 2 in Cordovan. If I were to try to buy it from C&J directly from one of their UK stores, would they let me buy it from overseas and avoid the VAT tax? Or would they force me to order it from their New York store?

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to do something very foolish, and I'd like to ask if anyone has some tips on how to do it in a less expensive way.

I have spent the last 2 months trying to talk myself out of buying a pair of Skye 2 cordovan boots, but I give up. The voices in my head won't stop arguing until I finally just get a pair.

I live in the US, but I've noticed that it is cheaper to buy from UK retailers after they remove the VAT. Problem is, I can't find any that carry the Skye 2 in Cordovan. If I were to try to buy it from C&J directly from one of their UK stores, would they let me buy it from overseas and avoid the VAT tax? Or would they force me to order it from their New York store?
I believe many here have bought from the Jermyn St. shops. When I was last in, the SA offered to ship a pair to Canada, VAT excluded.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thes are sweet words indeed:

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe many here have bought from the Jermyn St. shops.  When I was last in, the SA offered to ship a pair to Canada, VAT excluded.

yes I think they would typically subtract VAT as long as the shipping address is in the USA

Saturninus

Reaction score

yes I think they would typically subtract VAT as long as the shipping address is in the USA

Awesome - I'm gonna do it. I bought my first pair of C&Js from the NY store, which was worth it to get the sizing right. I'll be happy to get a pair of Skye 2s straight from London

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome - I'm gonna do it. I bought my first pair of C&Js from the NY store, which was worth it to get the sizing right. I'll be happy to get a pair of Skye 2s straight from London

my only advice, which I just learned a bit painfully - the Skye 2 runs a bit short IMO. I should have gone up .5. the 8UK I bought certainly fit way, way different than either of my US sized 9D C&J boots.

Last edited:

Saturninus

Reaction score

my only advice, which I just learned a bit painfully - the Skye 2 runs a bit short IMO. I should have gone up .5. the 8UK I bought certainly fit way, way different than either of my US sized 9D C&J boots.

Thanks for that. I fit the 337 last (Audley) pretty much spot on at 7UK. I've got a low instep, which usually causes me to size down to 7UK despite the fact that the length of my foot suggest that I wear a 7.5UK. If the issue is that the 335 last of the Skye runs short, then I might have to rethink that.

Was the Skye too short because your toes were cramped in the toebox, or was the shoe strangling your foot around the instep?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that. I fit the 337 last (Audley) pretty much spot on at 7UK. I've got a low instep, which usually causes me to size down to 7UK despite the fact that the length of my foot suggest that I wear a 7.5UK. If the issue is that the 335 last of the Skye runs short, then I might have to rethink that.

Was the Skye too short because your toes were cramped in the toebox, or was the shoe strangling your foot around the instep?

they were actually super tight just on my heels. fine everywhere else. they were just...short which manifested itself not in the toebox but on my heels. not sure why that is. there have been other scattered reports of people saying the Skye 2 fits short, so I wasn't alone on this

Saturninus

Reaction score

they were actually super tight just on my heels. fine everywhere else. they were just...short which manifested itself not in the toebox but on my heels. not sure why that is. there have been other scattered reports of people saying the Skye 2 fits short, so I wasn't alone on this

Ok that's very helpful. I have narrow heels and skinny ankles (none of this prevents me from having a pot belly), so I think in a boot I still might not need to size up. But I'll ask the sales associate if she can provide any guidance and report back

pwc008

Reaction score
That sucks, but you would take a much larger loss selling them here/Ebay/Grailed. For folks like me who don't have a store that sells C&J close by, when you factor in return costs, the NYC store's higher costs almost make it a wash ordering abroad IF you may have to return.

Now that I know my sizing a bit better I will consider ordering from the UK in the future...

You are correct. Actually, even with the $50 return fee, I am STILL ahead ordering from the UK.

One must be very careful with C&J sizing. Personally, I think they should offer additional widths, but I think I am alone on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads