• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Short question to the weares of the Adelaide Oxford "Westbourne".

Is the color of "burnished Chestnut Calf" rather a redbrown or a medium brown?

It is difficult to see on the photos.

I am asking as I am looking for a medium brown Adelaide Oxford to wear it with my 4 blue three-piece suits.

Best regards

Pascal

rakuskus

Reaction score
Short question to the weares of the Adelaide Oxford "Westbourne".

Is the color of "burnished Chestnut Calf" rather a redbrown or a medium brown?

It is difficult to see on the photos.

I am asking as I am looking for a medium brown Adelaide Oxford to wear it with my 4 blue three-piece suits.

Best regards

Pascal
7E5ED9D4-5E36-4681-B824-4657A8517A2F.jpeg
EC7B4432-8A89-4ABF-8735-D2063628028B.jpeg

I would say mine kinda look redish under the sun & brown indoor. I personally does not wear this with a formal suit. Just with my cotton & linen suits.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Of late, retailers/stockists of Crockett & Jones and Trickers seem to have little stock or variety of shoes and boots from both these shoemakers? It seems this way when you browse websites for whats available with the likes of AFPOS, Brogue Trader, Bodileys, Belfast Bureau, Mr Porter, A Farley, Pockets, Bowhill Elliot, Herring etc. (the only exception to this is maybe Division Road which seems to be stocking variety and coming up with new things).

Just feels like things are not like they used to be. Or maybe its just my perception and misconception?

unclemilty

Reaction score
A new pair of Moltons arrived today, my first pair of C&J. Actually, my first high quality boot of any kind. They are really top notch, I'm very impressed so far.

I do have a question about how they should feel out of the box. I was expecting (hoping for) a snug fit that would mold to my foot over time. Instead they are pretty roomy. If I tighten the laces down I don't get heel lift, but there is still a fair bit of play with my forefoot. Should try to go down a half size?

Btw, I bought a size 9, wear a 10 dress shoe, measure a 10.25 on a Brannock.

PXL_20231003_173620642.jpg

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Hello unclemity,

I also tried my first real good pair of shoes 1.5 years ago. Their were also C&J "Hoxton" derbies on the narrow 360 last. Their snugness was uncomfortable the first 3 days of wearing them, to say it euphemistically. Afterwards the leather adjusted and now they fit like a glove.

High quality shoes, C&J and other brands discussed in this forum, use high quality "A grade" calf leathers that do adjust well to the foot and expand a little bit by wearing them in. Hence shoes might, depending on your personal preference, first feel snug and close to the foot.

The brands of cemeted shoes in department stores for less than 200€/$ use lower quality leather that do not adjust that well to the foot. Hence I would not buy them feeling snug on the foot, but rather comfortable directly from the beginning.

Enjoy your day and best regards

Pascal

shoefan57

Reaction score
A new pair of Moltons arrived today, my first pair of C&J. Actually, my first high quality boot of any kind. They are really top notch, I'm very impressed so far.

I do have a question about how they should feel out of the box. I was expecting (hoping for) a snug fit that would mold to my foot over time. Instead they are pretty roomy. If I tighten the laces down I don't get heel lift, but there is still a fair bit of play with my forefoot. Should try to go down a half size?

View attachment 2039593
I would not change the size. The Roughout Suede leather is more relaxed than calf so will have a roomier fit. The lack of heel slip is a good sign. Once your feet have made an imprint on the insoles you will find little slippage. I don’t have experience of the last but given it’s devoted to a casual boot, I would say it’s likely meant to be a bit generous in the fit.

lurker33

Reaction score

View attachment 2039593
I wouldn't size down, UK9 for ~US10 brannock sounds about right. They should be roomy and extra room in the toebox is fine as long the ball of the foot is in the right spot, heel slip will go away with time. Try thicker socks.

WeeWee McGee

Reaction score
Congrats on your new boots - they look great. I also typically wear UK9 (and US10) boots. I have some Moltons as well and wear them a lot. The Molton does have a more generous last/fit than most of my other C&J boots. I usually just wear thicker socks with them and have had no issues.

View attachment 2039593

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of late, retailers/stockists of Crockett & Jones and Trickers seem to have little stock or variety of shoes and boots from both these shoemakers? It seems this way when you browse websites for whats available with the likes of AFPOS, Brogue Trader, Bodileys, Belfast Bureau, Mr Porter, A Farley, Pockets, Bowhill Elliot, Herring etc. (the only exception to this is maybe Division Road which seems to be stocking variety and coming up with new things).

Just feels like things are not like they used to be. Or maybe its just my perception and misconception?
Now you see how size UK13 people like me feel about retailers and stockists....if and when I find UK13 in stock somewhere it feels like winning a lottery !!!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarieMehan