• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after 6 months of semi-regular wear I can now say that the Harlechs I bought have broken in and become way more comfortable, moulding to my foot. The wears and use of shoe trees, not to mention a couple of Saphir spa sessions, has really softened the shell and allowed it to stretch out a little so that I now no longer feel the slight pinkie toe bumps that I used to, in fact it somehow feels like I have much more space to move my foot. I am pleasantly surprised by how supple it is, the Maduro shell on my Grant Stone Edwards really feels like stiff cardboard. :)
Me been thinking of the Harlech. Great value cordovan boot for sure. How does the toe box compare to the 325? Shape wise? I would use it for casual use really.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Me been thinking of the Harlech. Great value cordovan boot for sure. How does the toe box compare to the 325? Shape wise? I would use it for casual use really.
You can see last shapes using The Guide on the C&J website; I think it’s well designed.
However the 341 last shape is sharper than the 325 which has a deeper toe box and is rounder. Both fit me well.
The Harlech is a superb looking boot!

Style989

Reaction score
After they change their color, do you just keep applying dark brown? Or what’s the best way to maintain a shade once it’s achieved?
In my experience it will stay dark brown for quite a while. I preferred the initial shade and didn't;t want to darken it. I have applied renovator and lighter brown creams 4 or 5 times and it still retains the dark brown shade. So it won't be too hard to keep it dark

Style989

Reaction score
Time to get a new pair of shoes. Not sure which though. I've narrowed it down to either a black Oxford from EG (most likely a whole cut) or a boot from CJ (Grizedale, brown Islay, Snowdon). I'm well covered for rugged boots with my rough out Coniston, Molton, and black Islays. But I love the look of grizedale and how can you not love a brown islay.
on the other hand I don't have a black Oxford anymore after giving away my Cheaney whole cut to my brother. Btw, Cheaney I find to be not that well made, I'd put them on Loake level, but for some reason it seems like they really put a lot of effort into their whole cut model

MrFingers

Reaction score
How about buying the Ashdown or Harrogate - both country styles in dark brown grain or the slightly smarter Hardwick?
Too boring and too out there for me personally. I may get the Hartford by Bodileys when it comes back next year. For now I’ll darken these.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Tan scotch grain pembrokes in a bit of an overcast light. It’s really interesting how these look in totally different lights.

Attachments

• 5C55A213-8CA2-46CE-A52B-9DD869CDEB55.jpeg
    5C55A213-8CA2-46CE-A52B-9DD869CDEB55.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 121
  • FB94268B-D48B-457B-8DD9-E05581FDBF4D.jpeg
    FB94268B-D48B-457B-8DD9-E05581FDBF4D.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 35029209-D5F6-47FB-B1A8-5034991FDA5B.jpeg
    35029209-D5F6-47FB-B1A8-5034991FDA5B.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 254

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads