• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
That particular one-piece Vibram lug sole clearly is not designed to be stitched. I've had my Conistons for almost 2 years now and around 50 wears, there is zero evidence of any sole separation. A very waterproof, sturdy and comfortable sole.

Maybe in theory it's even also more waterproof because it lacks the stitching. But I didn't have any issues whatsoever with my Snowdon's, Radnor's, Conistons or Skye. Only the Islay has a tiny 1 mm space in the front (nose) of the sole. But I (ab)used them for three years now and you only see it with a magnifying glas haha

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Glue these days can be stronger than the stitching

I agree but to my eyes the stitching looks more solid and traditional. For sure it's not a dealbreaker for me. Really, this black Scotch Grain Islay boots are so tempting. But I have already two pair of brown Islay's....

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Thanks for the questions. I someone asks a question like "how will X hold up against Y in these ways?" that is obviously a technical question and not a commercial one.

The post that was deleted (and only one post was deleted) were an update about GMTOs, at the factory.

I trust everyone to use their discretion here. If you have a question about the shoes themselves, that is generally fair game. If you ask what is in stock for MTOs, not so much.

Thank you for explaining the policy. Just one question, can I post links to the C&J website as I did regarding the Black Islay's? Or if I see a nice online deal somewhere on the internet, can I post the url?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining the policy. Just one question, can I post links to the C&J website as I did regarding the Black Islay's? Or if I see a nice online deal somewhere on the internet, can I post the url?
I assume that stuff is fine coming from you or I. Seems @Crat is actually affiliated with CJ and that's why he wasn't allowed to post about the GMTO

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Country Grain Bostons today.
20210916_082244.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course. Private members should definitely feel free to do this as long as you are not in coordination with a official rep. I know that that should not need to be said, and I think that @Crat would never do this, but believe me when I say that this is not a hypothetical case. It turns out that honesty can often be bought pretty cheaply.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course. Private members should definitely feel free to do this as long as you are not in coordination with a official rep. I know that that should not need to be said, and I think that @Crat would never do this, but believe me when I say that this is not a hypothetical case. It turns out that honesty can often be bought pretty cheaply.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Any private member organising a GMTO surely must do this in coordination with a manufacturer?

I have been a member here since before I worked for C&J and gave you the heads up when I started working for C&J in 2013, which seemed the right thing to do. Since then I have continued to post in a private capacity, occasionally even posting shoes by competitors from my private collection in waywrn...I'm a shoe geek after all, thats what drew me to your forum.

What I consider the faux-pas here, is that eight years after I gave you the heads up that I started to work for C&J, you go straight to my employer to complain about me for a single post you deem too commercial. You could have just sent me a message.

In hindsight I fully understand that you need to protect your business by ensuring the exclusive benefits you offer the paying affiliate vendors and also see how my posts may have upset that balance.
In my defence, each of my few GMTO posts were a reaction or answer to questions asked regarding a GMTO that was already in the pipeline. I see that responding to someone in the thread "that the GMTO was still open but going to close that day" was a blunder on my behalf and an unfairness towards your affiliates. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

Last edited:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own boots in both the 325 and 365 (Islay) last in the same size? Mind commenting on the additional room afforded by the latter? ?
I wear UK 7E in both. The Islay was my first C&J and has more room in the forefoot. It feels like more of a substantial country boot to me. The 325 fits me better and I like the way it looks (Coniston, Galway, Pembroke)

Diego65

Reaction score
Does anyone here own boots in both the 325 and 365 (Islay) last in the same size? Mind commenting on the additional room afforded by the latter? ?
I have Islay and Coniston in same size 10.5 UK . Islay are roomy in relation to Coniston. Confort wise to me both are confy.
With the Coniston I wear normal socks and with Islay thick sock or normal socks.

Cheers

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teak oiled Islays

They might go well with my new safari jacket and Land Rover.

jokes aside, they look nice but the cleated soles are too outdoorsy for what I would want.

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score

Thank you for your reply and explanation. Well for what it's worth I can assure you that I don't have any connection with official representatives of C&J or any other shoe brand. Most of the times I live in a very remote area on the island of Crete, my main companions here are goats, sheep and vultures. I don't think they even sell C&J on this island ;-)

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score

I have 3 pair of Coniston in 325 (black, tan and brown all in Scotch Grain) and 2 pair of Islay. Both in 7.5E. The Islay has much more room all around and I have to wear thick socks. The Coniston for me is a snug fit and I can wear it with thinner socks as well, with the Islay I can not. For some reason the Coniston in tan do feel sturdier/narower on the foot as the other ones, the leather feels thicker. The black Coniston feel the most "loose". As a side note: I also have a pair of black Skye in 335 in 7.5E and they are more ore less in between size wise.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads