• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they both on the same last?

not a fan of C&J scotch? That’s another thing, C&J has a small range of leathers, thus the ‘well, I don’t have this leather/shade yet’ justification is invalid hahahaha

skye iii is on 335, and pembroke on 325. I used to own conistons in scotch, but let them go once a whisky harlech GMTO happened here

wdrenth

Reaction score
Thank you very much @wdrenth
Your reply has been truly helpful!
I know "my limits" in terms of what I would wear to keep a whole proportionated look but I totally agree with you about that the fit is the key factor. My problem is the lack of references. However things are clearer now. So thanks again wdrenth.
I think I will make a table with all the information -and sources- collected in this forum. That may be helpful for others.

I have created this table (initial version) with the fabulous information collected by @TweedyProf. That was extremely useful. I added a few more entries.
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...es-thread-reviews-quality-etc.227575/page-648

View attachment 1641805

Please, feel free to ping me to add more or correct any detail.

BTW, I was thinking that maybe, at least in the 348 last, each half size increases 1/8 its length.
7.5 UK --- 12 inches
8 UK --- 12 1/8 inches
8.5 UK --- 12 2/8 inches
9 UK --- 12 3/8 inches
Maybe the progression doesn't keep that strict rule/proportion and it's adapted based on statistics.
I would like to know what do people think/know about it.

You are welcome.
Looking a the Barley corn, the basis of UK shoe sizing, your 1/8 inch for 1/2 size corresponds approximately with the 1/3 of an inch for a whole size (see for example Barley corn for length of shoe size). My rule of thumb is that one shoe size is "somewhat less" than a cm.
Maybe you can look in your area for other brands that are discussed on this platform and check how these fit? That will then help to 'translate' into C&J sizes.

Braid

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Islay, Lindrick, and Pembroke and find them to be redundant?

I feel compelled to own all 3, but I wonder if it's necessary–relative to a shoe aficionado/hobbyist or however one likes to dress it. They're all wingtips for starters, but each boot and the Pembroke have their individual characteristics. I'd like to hear the thoughts of others, and I'm sure there are a few members here that might actually own all the aforementioned.

I'm aware the Lindrick is out of production, but I often have seen the Lindrick available in my size in the second-hand market.
I own Pembroke in tan scotch grain and Skye 3 in chestnut. I am looking to add a dark brown version for both shoes (Pembroke or Bourton) and boots (islay or stow).

Shorwtwing is my favourite pattern, you can't have too many!

Diego65

Reaction score
Does anyone own Islay, Lindrick, and Pembroke and find them to be redundant?

I feel compelled to own all 3, but I wonder if it's necessary–relative to a shoe aficionado/hobbyist or however one likes to dress it. They're all wingtips, for starters, but each boot and the Pembroke have their individual characteristics. I'd like to hear the thoughts of others, and I'm sure there are a few members here that might actually own all the aforementioned.

I'm aware the Lindrick is out of production, but I often have seen the Lindrick available in my size in the second-hand market.
Hi!!
I own Coniston Dark Brown, Tan and Rough-out, Islay, Pembroke, Snowdon, Eskdale 2, and if you are happy, they are not redundant at all.
When I bought them, I feel compelled to buy those boots and find a place or situation for each. But, on the other hand, thinking about the budget, maybe it wise is to buy Coniston tan or rough-out; Islay and Pembroke I think, cover every angle.
My two cents.

Cheers

Diego.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own the Islay, Lindrick, and Pembroke and find them to be redundant?

I feel compelled to own all 3, but I wonder if it's necessary–relative to a shoe aficionado/hobbyist or however one likes to dress it. They're all wingtips for starters, but each boot and the Pembroke have their individual characteristics. I'd like to hear the thoughts of others, and I'm sure there are a few members here that might actually own all the aforementioned.

Nothing wrong with owning a short wing shoe and a boot, they won't be redundant. If you like the wingtip style, you could own the Skye in a different leather and sole than the Lindrick and have it be for a more/less rugged use. I'm not a huge wingtip guy so I personally am unlikely to ever pick up a Skye (own Lindrick and Pembroke)

Atemporal

Reaction score
You are welcome.
Looking a the Barley corn, the basis of UK shoe sizing, your 1/8 inch for 1/2 size corresponds approximately with the 1/3 of an inch for a whole size (see for example Barley corn for length of shoe size). My rule of thumb is that one shoe size is "somewhat less" than a cm.
Maybe you can look in your area for other brands that are discussed on this platform and check how these fit? That will then help to 'translate' into C&J sizes.
Thanks @wdrenth
Sizing is an interesting topic.

shrink1061

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a pair of the Ocean Blue Suede loafers in their online sale. Not a huge reduction but an interesting pair of shoes. They're on one of the newer lasts with a clipped in heel part, and a city rubber sole. This makes them a better fit for my sparrows ankles while leaving room up front. The city sole also makes them versatile, especially here in scotland where an unexpected shower can catch out a leather soled shoe!

Camden in Ocean Blue Suede

rVvi1Hu.jpg

Coolhand0302

Reaction score

I’ve wrestled with this exact issue, so maybe this is useful for your consideration; for reference, I own both the Lindrick and Pembroke in shell, as well as a couple of Conistons, including pebbled grain. I’m not a fan of wingtips in general, but the classic styles of C&J has made me fall in love with these shoes, and I’ve seriously considered adding both the Islay and Skye to my rotation…

Despite how much I love the look and quality of these boots, I’ve come to the conclusion that they are redundant for my rotation - the beloved Islay, in particular. While I love the look of the tall wingtip in that awesome pebbled grain, practically, it doesn’t add anything to my wardrobe that my Lindrick and Pembroke don’t already: the shell Lindrick is more dressy for my work attire, and fills the role of a dress boot wingtip. The Pembroke does the same as a shoe. If I dress down to wear a pebbled grain boot, the Coniston allows me to change the style to a captoe so that it’s suitable for both work or casual. The Islay seems like it would be great for hunting pheasants in the countryside, but in practice, I don’t really need a “casual” wingtip, and the pebbled grain isn’t dressy enough for all my professional requirements…

If I’m being honest though, and I had to choose only one boot, I’d most likely choose the Islay as the “jack of all trades” boot… But since I have the other styles that I love, I just can’t see getting much use out of the Islay with both a nicer wingtip dress boot/shoe (Lindrick/Pembroke), and a pebbled grain captoe (Coniston), and I’m afraid it would just sit in my closet… and believe me, I’ve tried to justify owning it - a lot lol. Hope this helps!

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve wrestled with this exact issue, so maybe this is useful for your consideration; for reference, I own both the Lindrick and Pembroke in shell, as well as a couple of Conistons, including pebbled grain. I’m not a fan of wingtips in general, but the classic styles of C&J has made me fall in love with these shoes, and I’ve seriously considered adding both the Islay and Skye to my rotation…

Despite how much I love the look and quality of these boots, I’ve come to the conclusion that they are redundant for my rotation - the beloved Islay, in particular. While I love the look of the tall wingtip in that awesome pebbled grain, practically, it doesn’t add anything to my wardrobe that my Lindrick and Pembroke don’t already: the shell Lindrick is more dressy for my work attire, and fills the role of a dress boot wingtip. The Pembroke does the same as a shoe. If I dress down to wear a pebbled grain boot, the Coniston allows me to change the style to a captoe so that it’s suitable for both work or casual. The Islay seems like it would be great for hunting pheasants in the countryside, but in practice, I don’t really need a “casual” wingtip, and the pebbled grain isn’t dressy enough for all my professional requirements…

If I’m being honest though, and I had to choose only one boot, I’d most likely choose the Islay as the “jack of all trades” boot… But since I have the other styles that I love, I just can’t see getting much use out of the Islay with both a nicer wingtip dress boot/shoe (Lindrick/Pembroke), and a pebbled grain captoe (Coniston), and I’m afraid it would just sit in my closet… and believe me, I’ve tried to justify owning it - a lot lol. Hope this helps!
You pretty much nailed my first-world–materiality dilemma. I like the aesthetics of the Pembroke and want to add a shoe (not boot) to my collection that can be versatile, but then the Lindrick looks like a Pembroke with a tall shaft but looks like a semi-dressy boot. Whereas, the Islay just looks like a nice ass combat boot with the obvious brogueing. The Skye is also really great, but I prefer the country aesthetic of the Islay. In essence, I feel if I get the Pembroke I shouldn't get the Lindrick because of the similarities, and the passing thought of 'why not get all 3!' lingered in my mind far longer than it should've. All these responses helped me in my late-night inter-quarrel. lol

Nothing wrong with owning a short wing shoe and a boot, they won't be redundant. If you like the wingtip style, you could own the Skye in a different leather and sole than the Lindrick and have it be for a more/less rugged use. I'm not a huge wingtip guy so I personally am unlikely to ever pick up a Skye (own Lindrick and Pembroke)
The Skye boot looks great in the burnished chestnut. You don't feel like the Lindrick is a boot version of the Pembroke? Since you have both.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You pretty much nailed my first-world–materiality dilemma. I like the aesthetics of the Pembroke and want to add a shoe (not boot) to my collection that can be versatile, but then the Lindrick looks like a Pembroke with a tall shaft but looks like a semi-dressy boot. Whereas, the Islay just looks like a nice ass combat boot with the obvious brogueing. The Skye is also really great, but I prefer the country aesthetic of the Islay. In essence, I feel if I get the Pembroke I shouldn't get the Lindrick because of the similarities, and the passing thought of 'why not get all 3!' lingered in my mind far longer than it should've. All these responses helped me in my late-night inter-quarrel. lol

The Skye boot looks great in the burnished chestnut. You don't feel like the Lindrick is a boot version of the Pembroke? Since you have both.
You could argue that, but at the end of the day one is a shoe and works better in warmer weather with lighter weight trousers and the boots get the call in cooler months.They are also different colors (Lindrick in Whiskey Shell and Pembroke in Brown Shell), which makes them feel even more different

Braid

Reaction score

Are you considering the Pembroke in shell or scotch grain? Considering you already have the lindrick I would go with the tan scotchgrain, the ultimate country shoe

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here has 377 last and find it 1/2 size bigger than most last? My Heartland 2 ( unlined) chukka are a bit loose but C&J states 377 is true to size?

s?
FDC5E04F-C752-47F7-B1F8-1A49C89E6AB6.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads