• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I always side with shell and Alden 9901 is the perfect choice for a black PTB. I'm reality the choice really comes down to fit when the choices are that similar.

Thanks. Somehow the fit is spot on for both. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding. It's not like I need shell. I have other shell shoes. It's more, which of these do I want as my black PTB?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The left pair would be perfect .. if there would be no metal eyelets .. Arrr .. It's always something ..

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No real help here, but I don't think I would ever be in the market for a black PTB as I think a captoe would be more suited for most jobs.

Between the two really a toss up, but I prefer shell, but prefer how the C&J is sleeker. Pricewise though, I think RL Marlows are overpriced if there is a C&J equivalent so that would factor into my decision too.

jssdc

Reaction score
Left shoe looks more derby than blucher. Not sure if that's and argument for/against or not. I definitely like the C&J last shape more than the Alden, but I don't think I'd wear either with a suit or other tailoring. So, were I in the market for something black and casual I'd go for the chunkier shell shoe over the the sleeker calf shoe.

ErikW

Reaction score
C&J 325 last > Alden Barrie on that shoe. That said, the shell is quite nice. Why don't you just order an MTO C&J 325 black shell cordovan Grasmere and sell both ;)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post WAYWRN - Edgwares . . .

IMG_5807 (747x1280).jpg

Gerry

Reaction score
Great, thank you for the info. What's the width like compared to, say, the 325? Hard to compare since it's a different length, I guess.

I wear UK 7.5E in the 325 last but it's a hair long on me, so I'm thinking UK 7E is what I'd want. But I don't want to end up having them being too narrow.

I wear C&J Coniston boot, last 325 and is probably the best fitting shoes/boots I have. I am a7.5 E UK. I was in San Fran and popped into Alden on Sutter St. After some time fitting on shoes I purchased a pair of Win tip Bal(style 903) but had to go down one half size and go for the USA E width which is one step wider than he regular UK width, so I ended up with size 8E whereas all the charts implied that a UK size 7.5E is the same as an 8.5D US. This was not the case for me. I suspect the shoe style has something got to do with it as I found the US 8.5 to be a very long shoe. Hope this helps.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Cross post...
Help me decide!!
Alden PTB in black shell or RL Marlow (C&J) PTB in black calf?
Dare I keep both??

I'd say the left is more streamlined and slim silhouette, while the other is more sturdy. It depends on what you need in your wardrobe. Both are in my opinion great for everyday wear.

TommyB

Reaction score
The exchange for the Harlech went quite well. Finally unboxed them today. What a beautiful pair of boots. The sun was in and out of the clouds this afternoon. Great, though variable, light for some outdoor shots.
Great pictures of a great boot!
I have Whiskey Harlechs and dark brown Lindricks, can't decide if my next C&J boots will be Whiskey Lindricks or dark brown Harlechs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads