• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Form, box, shoes, receipt is all you need.

But, you'll only get a partial VAT refund if you use one of the VAT vendors at the airport.

For a full refund, you get the form stamped at the airport, and mail the long form to C&J.

Tell C&J you want the long form so you can get a full refund. Downside is that it can take 6-8 weeks. Mine took 3.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or my alternative is just have them ship to the US, pay a bit shipping but save all the hassle

Ps haven't tried at CJ, but other store in London have no issue doing that

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or my alternative is just have them ship to the US, pay a bit shipping but save all the hassle

Ps haven't tried at CJ, but other store in London have no issue doing that

I did it on my last trip (a few weeks ago) and recommend doing it this way too. Though you do have to pay 30GBP for shipping it saves you the hassle of having to wait in line, carry the shoes in your check-in in case they ask you to produce the items. If you do decide to do it in person, make sure to budget enough time in case you get stuck behind a bus load of tourists trying to do the same thing. Last time I did it for some small things and it took about 5 minutes, but there were two people ahead of me and I was at LHR at 06:30hrs.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
I did it on my last trip (a few weeks ago) and recommend doing it this way too. Though you do have to pay 30GBP for shipping it saves you the hassle of having to wait in line, carry the shoes in your check-in in case they ask you to produce the items. If you do decide to do it in person, make sure to budget enough time in case you get stuck behind a bus load of tourists trying to do the same thing. Last time I did it for some small things and it took about 5 minutes, but there were two people ahead of me and I was at LHR at 06:30hrs.

Very good point. Missing my flight home for a VAT refund would be hard to explain. Thanks for the help!

One last favor - does anyone know the going price of the Harvard in cordovan in the U.K.? I'm seeing wide variance around the web and have heard previously that our prices here are dramatically inflated beyond the exchange rate. Thanks!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
US pricing is definitely inflated (and most UK shoe brand does this on purpose when they sell to the US, you can say about how Alden does it oversea as well, i.e. beyond exchange rate). UK pricing is pretty consistent though.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5973.JPG

Marlow wing tips today on a hazy morning.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Hello all....just took a gamble on an ebay pair of suede "E" width Chelseas with what appears to have a Model #9542 and a danite rubber sole. Was wondering if anyone can tell from the attached pics if this would be a C & J "Chelsea 5" on the 335 last and if they are marked UK 8 whether that last usually runs to a US 8.5 or US 9

Thanks in advance....i have a pair of BB coniston's but this is my first pair of properly branded C& J

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Bleedblue

Reaction score
I don't know this for certain, but I would bet that - if purchased on eBay especially - these might be "C&J for Barneys" in which case the listed size is in fact a US size, and it is also almost certainly a Chelsea 5. There are quite a few vendors who buy up stock during Barneys' sales and dump on eBay.

I wear an 8E in AE Park Ave and find my Barney's Chelsea 5 to fit well in size 8. If you had a narrow or low volume foot, an US 8.5 could probably get into an 8 as well.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I don't know this for certain, but I would bet that - if purchased on eBay especially - these might be "C&J for Barneys" in which case the listed size is in fact a US size, and it is also almost certainly a Chelsea 5. There are quite a few vendors who buy up stock during Barneys' sales and dump on eBay.

I wear an 8E in AE Park Ave and find my Barney's Chelsea 5 to fit well in size 8. If you had a narrow or low volume foot, an US 8.5 could probably get into an 8 as well.

Thanks....im closer to a 9D US so i may have an issue...but i appreciate the post anyway..

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've actually felt my C&J for Barneys to run bigger than the stated U.S. size if that's what it denotes

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most C&J for Barneys have Barneys name on the sole liner.
They're all marked with some seemingly random US size.

pumplcrs

Reaction score
Does anyone interest the C&J boston loafer in black cavalry size 7G?

I just got it but it's a bit loose. it's brand new with box.

So I would like to trade with the C&J (same model) in 7E or any blacker loafer in 7E as well.

If anyone want to trade, please PM me.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Random hive mind challenge...

I live in New England where the weather is foul 7-8 months of the year. Already own a decent footwear collection including a pair of burgundy cord LHS Alden's and the dark brown BB Marlow.

That in mind, should I take a deal in front of me for some NIB Islays under $400? Or, hold out a few weeks to try on some Harvards in dark brown cord?

The Islay would be my only dark brown boot, a useful color for work and weekend. The Harvard my only dark brown loafer - but used less of the year, and maybe duplicative with my Alden's.

Thoughts welcome! I have to make a call on the Islay in a couple hours... wish me luck in NOT buying both.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in New England where the weather is foul 7-8 months of the year. Already own a decent footwear collection including a pair of burgundy cord LHS Alden's and the dark brown BB Marlow.

That in mind, should I take a deal in front of me for some NIB Islays under $400? Or, hold out a few weeks to try on some Harvards in dark brown cord?

The Islay would be my only dark brown boot, a useful color for work and weekend. The Harvard my only dark brown loafer - but used less of the year, and maybe duplicative with my Alden's.

Thoughts welcome! I have to make a call on the Islay in a couple hours... wish me luck in NOT buying both.

I vote Islay which I have. I wear year round in the SF Bay Area

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Islay in a heartbeat.
Then cave and get Harvards later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads